Close

Default speedometer noise

I searched past posts on this and see that lubrication is possible. However, removal of the cluster or removal of just the cable seems to be a bit of a nightmare. Is there an easy way? It look like the clip just comes slides off but getting at it is terrible and I am not too certain I can get it back in place. Is there a secret or is it just a bad job?

You press a tab on the plastic collar and the cable comes out of the cluster, and then just presses and snaps back in... and yes, a jumpy needle sometimes does point to a lack of lubricant...

A quick online search produced this very short ('70's truck, no diff...) video that shows how they are removed...

Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-08-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Ouch, not sure I could do that under the dash. No jumps or anything just noise. I almost couldn't get back out after just taking a picture...Name:  IMG_20180408_163759.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  52.7 KB

Does your car have cruise control? If so, you can separate the cable under the hood, which gives a little extra slack so you can pull the cluster further out to access the back in order to release the cable. At least, my Fairmont's speedo cable is like that.

I do have cruise control, I will have to look. Is it the speedo cable that holds the cluster in after you remove the screws?

looking at that video again and the orientation of my speedo 'clip', I am wondering if it hasn't 'slipped' a bit. Notice there is no play in the clip around the cylinder? Gonna try to just shove it back on and see what happens...

The cable is one of the things that keeps the cluster from pulling out easily. My LTD also has cruise control, but it has a one piece cable.

This round thing is , I think, a sensor for the cruise control. At any rate, the cable can be separated here to give more slack at the dash.Name:  P1310900.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  72.6 KB

I have always removed the screws to the cluster and pulled it out as far as possible, then reach in there with a pair of pliers to get the clip and cable loose. Then you can remove the cluster and get some lubricant in there...I always use dry graphite lubricant and not something like WD-40 in a spray can.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I can't pull the instrument cluster out at all, just barely moves and there is no play at all in the cable. I will look under the hood to see if I can push it in more.

I remember having a heck of a time figuring it out when I started tearing my car apart for restoration. Once you get it all apart and see how it goes together, it's easy. Good luck. My speedometer doesn't even work anymore but I don't care. I know I'm always driving too fast.
    1983 5.0 GT convertible. Restored 2011 - 2014

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I do have cruise control, I will have to look. Is it the speedo cable that holds the cluster in after you remove the screws?
    I have never had much problem with removing the speedo cable. I have big hands and they do fit up around the steering column. It does not take much effort to release the cable. No pliers needed. Just pressure the outer ring at the flat to the center of the cable and pull the cluster away. I did just remove one yesterday that had so much room I was able to reach around from the front the release it. This one did have cruise.

Reassembly is easy as you only need to push the whole cable back on.

As for lubing, some suggest using auto trans fluid on the cable.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I didn't think of pulling the instrument cluster away instead of pulling the cable back (which it won't budge). I will try that.

Thanks for reminding me. When I got my car new with 14 miles on it back in 1978 the speedometer jumped and made noise right from the start.
    The dealer finally fixed it after much complaining. A month later when I took the cluster apart to install gauges, I found that they broke the plastic
    clip that holds the cable to the cluster. Was easy to remove after that. Sometimes the speedometer would not work at all if the cable slid back.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

dumb question, Can you go underneath the car, undo the speedo at transmission, pull out the inside of the cable (part that spins), lube it and insert it back?

Since I have a 4I, easy to remove whole cable.

Best friend has an aero with noisy cable. I'm thinking this approach would be easier than pulling the dash (I have a car lift).

Thoughts?

FEP Power Member

I believe you can only pull the inner speedo cable out from the top. I have not tried it.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

^__ this

pull the gauges. Slide out the liner. Soak it in atf then let it drip dry a little. Handle in paper towels so you don’t make a mess. Reinstall.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-12-2018 at 01:54 AM.

Once I get it back I will give that a try.

i just lubed my speedo cable. my cable had a to be removed from the cluster end because the cable has a little nub on it and you cant pull it through the trans end. if you can get it removed from the cluster. GOOD LUCK
    GLADLY burning the fuel your Prius is saving!!