Close

Default 79 pace car header pipe question

My question is what specific header pipe is used on the 79 2.3 turbo engine..does anyone have a specific part number? My engine is original with turbo intact.

Hey to all, is this item pictured from autozones website the correct header pipe for a 2.3 ranger the type that will correctly bolt up to my exhaust without any modifications?looks like he proper lengthy and flange connections.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks like a 2.3 N/A header.

I have never seen a early model draw-thru turbo header, they may have been made at one time, but the stock system had a crossover pipe with a catalytic converter pre-turbo. Most people modifying the exhaust would just eliminated the cat pipe with a cat-less pipe.

I'm sure something can be made but I would doubt you would find anything off the shelf.
    2007 SL55 - Capri Blue - Leather, 487/560 WHP/WTQ at 13.5PSI

Default notes on 2.3 exh manifolds

Dorman 674-784 is listed as a 2.3 n/a header, cast version, for 03-11 2.3 DOHC. Different engine.
    That part number does not fit 2001 and earlier 2.3/2.5 SOHC engines.
    Different bolt pattern for one.

No listings for 2.3 cast e manifolds until 1983-93 n/a. Dorman 674-230 or ATP 101037
    The gaskets for these and the stock 79 turbo exh manifold are listed as the same p/n.
    Do not know exactly why they are not listed as replacement for earlier engines.
    Most likely no provision for the A.I.R. pump system.
    Same bolt pattern and gasket would hint it would fit on the head. Pipe connection is ???.
    Never seen a header for carb turbos either. Been looking for years.

That is one good reason to try out salvage parts. No fit, no great loss.

My 93 Ranger 2.3 has the ss version. This is the version i use on the 79's engine.
    The n/a ss header's flange is shorter, high up. Crossover pipe needs mods to connect.
    The gasket exh ports match pretty closely, except for not having the same egr provision.
    Bolt pattern is same as 79. No provision for A.I.R pump system if used.
    Cast iron ones have both style egr provisions. The long horz slot and bungs on the Dorman.
    The tube version looks racier. The SS discolors, needs powder coating or the like.
    Next time will try the Dorman cast one. Better looking than the stock 79 one, covers the egr ports.

Different port configs over the years. Round, oval, D.
    The cast version looks to be universal due to gasket number and app charts.

The egr routing is different on later style engines. The heads do not have egr holes under the port.
    79 2.3 cyl head, for one, has small egr ports under the exhaust port.
    EGR routes thru the wider thicker cast manifold. Later ss tube style taps EGR off a collector bung.
    Compare 74-92 gasket (early) to 93-01 (later) to see the diff. The early one has extra holes.

Aftermarket header flanges may cover the holes to stop an exhaust leak. Sandwich it in there.
    The ones i see have no little holes for egr but are the same size as early style stock gaskets.
    Special hi temp exh repair putty can be used to fill the holes.
    I used Thermoseal with ss shim stock under the gasket to plug em up.

https://www.carid.com/1989-ford-rang...841714829.html
    https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28692-674-230.aspx
    https://dudazps6njn84.cloudfront.net/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/j8cAAOSwAghasV5s/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007
    Last edited by gr79; 04-10-2018 at 03:09 PM.