Close

Default 1979 pace car distributor vacuum line. 2.3 turbo

Hey guys , where is the best place for my vacuum line to the distributor to hook to? The base of the carburetor OR the vacuum tree on front of intake manifold ?

I forgot to mention that I have ALL smog control and emissions removed. Real simple setup. Also do I need a check valve inline with the distributor vacuum line??if so what kind or Ford part number??

Have had my dist vac adv hose connected to the front tree for years.
    Did install a check valve. Black/white, black side on tee side, white side to dist.
    Vac tap in the carb base is plugged with rubber cap.
    The carb tap makes the engine run differently.
    Mine likes the manifold tap.

After giving engine enough base timing, final total timing was set doing road tests.
    Routed the dis line over the top center of alt (large 1G), cut the line about 10 o'clock, then spliced it.
    Allows tap in with a hand held vac gauge when re-tuning or checks.

Once warm, starts and runs fine in our Mich weather.
    Cold starts need pedal action like always until engine is warm enough to idle on its own.
    All choke parts are entirely removed.
    No spark knock using 87 RON. Solid 20+ mpg. Steady smooth idle rpm with 18"+ vac.
    Sometimes will run on after key off. A clutch kill with foot on brake is a pre planned reaction.

I conclude it is tuned pretty close to optimal with the config i have.

Thanks gr79. Is that check valve the one that says carb on one side and dist on the other ???not sure if I have one laying around. Perhaps NPD in canton mich sells one.

Had the dist check valve in mind because it did something to the vac signal.
    With the dist connected to the carb via this thing, was isolated from the manifold and turbo boost.

Connecting the dis line direct to manifold changes the 'signal' to the dist.
    Relocating dis vac line to manifold, dist now gets either straight vac or straight boost pressure.
    Tee connection of a hand held vac gauge on a long hose, then driving, confirmed this.

The dis gets adv at lower rpm, less at mid, no vac adv at wot.
    Dist. mech adv takes over where vac adv drops off.
    But turbos go one step 'beyond wot', adding boost pressure to certain vac hoses.

My thinking was to supply only vac to dis adv, stop pressure (boost). Its a vac adv, not a press advance.
    Poss save wear and tear on vac adv diaphragm being pushed on by boost pressure or retarding things.
    Let the turbo controls/ign module take care of that as designed.

It is larger in dia and thinner than the dist/carb one.
    Figured a large check valve will let max vac thru while performing the one way function.
    Seems to have no restriction to flow by blowing thru it. Good. Does not allow air blowing thru the other way.
    Did not want one calibrated to bleed air slowly or such.
    Actually it fit the id of the hose, so it got the nod. One end has no barb. Two barb is ideal.

Really cannot tell if it has ever made a difference.
    Everything works fine without the check valve there.
    Got it from the pick and pull off a Ford product for sure. Has Ford p/n.
    I pick items like that for experiments.
    Would never buy one new with all of them in those yards.