Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I've owned 150 foxes, and would LOVE to have a build like this, kudos for a nice job.

That being said, instead of dumping 10k+ into a fox, I spent $14,500 for a 41k mile 2012 with MANY upgrades.. Got the car and all for a few thousand more..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Sorry for the delay in this thread, I have been working hard to get the car wrapped up. I got it running a few weeks ago, and have been tuning it and making some small changes here and there. First change was to get rid of the Flowmaster mufflers (they were terrible, and way too loud). I ended up with Borla ProXS mufflers, and kept the Flowmaster over-axle pipes, and the exhaust sounds amazing.

I was a bit concerned about how the car would handle the power, meaning would it be predictable, would it be manageable, etc.? In the end, I absolutely love the car, and how it handles. Very predictable, and also, it loves to step out through the first 3 gears without issue. Even during a couple of the 3rd gear rolls into WOT from 3000 rpm, it was breaking loose all the way to 6500 rpm, but not anything crazy. Now if there was any moisture on the road... that would be a different story.

I am looking at running Nitto 275-35-18 Street Slicks on the back, just to get some better traction, especially if I make a run or two down the strip.

Just did the final tune Monday, and the car dyno'd at 549 wheel hp, with 460 ft-lb of torque, at about 8 psi of boost. Here are a couple pics, and videos

Name:  20180821_120610.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  105.0 KB

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3qYXtTyLXjiFfWbe9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q3UTdCoYmHWxELyj7
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

And a couple pics of the engine bay all finished up:
    Name:  engine-complete1.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  engine-complete2.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  64.8 KB

And a shot of the car back in the driveway

Name:  CarFinished.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  114.3 KB
    Last edited by vdubn; 08-23-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Well done, Dean!

Mike

Thanks Mike!

Congratulations, and well done!

Great job, it looks really good congrats.

Great work on the Coyote install! It came out really nice!

This really makes me want to make the switch to this setup on my RS. Been debating it since 2012 and really tempted to do it. Unfortunately I have a TON of money dumped into my current 347 setup and I'm thinking the wife would have a fit if I suggested getting a new motor when the one I have works just fine LOL

Congrats on a successful project!

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Bet that thing is a blast. Turned out awesome. Post some more video if you're able, a "ride-along" would be cool.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Great work on the Coyote install! It came out really nice!

This really makes me want to make the switch to this setup on my RS. Been debating it since 2012 and really tempted to do it. Unfortunately I have a TON of money dumped into my current 347 setup and I'm thinking the wife would have a fit if I suggested getting a new motor when the one I have works just fine LOL

Congrats on a successful project!

Robert
    Thanks! One thing to think of, the market is still good on 347 and well built SBF's, I was able to get $4500 for my engine, trans, headers, etc. as a turn-key setup, which offset my swap nicely. I totally get the idea of tearing apart a perfectly running car (that was exactly my situation), but, I decided to make the jump since I figured the market on the pushrod stuff might not stay strong forever. Let me know if you have any questions, should you decide to entertain the idea down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 85MUSTANGTGT View Post
    Bet that thing is a blast. Turned out awesome. Post some more video if you're able, a "ride-along" would be cool.
    Thanks much for the compliments....I do have a couple good GoPro vids of me driving to the dyno session, I just need to download and edit them so they aren't huge.

GoPro, just another video camera serving as states evidence since before they were released. Lol.......

Man, if cars could talk, I'd crush my 86GT and sell it for immediate melt down for scrap. Just saying.

And hell -- it still has a lot of stock stuff left on it..... LOL

GREAT JOB! That car is slicker than dog snot. More videos please!!!
    GLADLY burning the fuel your Prius is saving!!

You should be proud. By far the best, most descriptive swap done yet. I have been following along and getting tonz of ideas thanks to you sir!

Good job sir!
    1968 mustang, 1986 mustang gt... One done, one still slow.

Wow!!! Great job!!

Shocking! Well, my 85 appreciates the wiring harness he sold me anyway.

Glad that it could help your car out. For now its mostly just a feeler ad to see if I might get someone interested for a good price. I am just find holding onto the car if no one ends up interested. It is a blast to drive... keeps you focused. So much power at just the blip of the throttle.

Great job..looking forward to the stories

Inspiring thread. I had to read it all in one sit and ignore the healthy temptation to skip ahead to see how it ends. No doubts now that a Coyote swap into a Four Eye or later Fox is extremely do-able. I'm ready to reenter the Four Eye Fox owner arena, as soon as I can locate the correct car. I initially planned to replicate much of the same performance and handling work I did to my '84 GT and '85 5.0 RS during the late 80's to mid 90's. Having read this thread, it has me second guessing myself, thinking of the benefits gained by going with SC Coyote. Driveability, reliability, with better fuel economy and less emissions.

I would imagine a Four Eye Fox with your power levels should run with all but a few of the modern muscle cars, Challenger/Charger SRT-Hellcat, Camaro SS/Z28. The modern muscle cars are much heavier than a Four Eye 5.0 which listed at what, 27-2800 pounds for a 3 Door? Even the 2016 Mustang GT weighs in averaging 3825 pounds,..1/2 a ton heavier! Charger SRT8 is 4410 pounds. Challenger lists 4448 Pounds Hellcat lists 4280. Camaro 1SS lists at a svelte 3908 pounds. It's no wonder these cars need so much horsepower and torque, plus turbo or super charging to post the numbers they do in performance. Granted the newer cars I quoted (some of them) handle far and away better then the old sly Fox. NVH are improved radically, creature comforts aboud. Emissions are lower, while miles per gallon are improved on some examples.

Put a 500 horsepower engine in any of these cars and you have better than average performance. Put those ponies in a Four Eye. IF you can get the car to hook up, look out! The Fox would take them all even on top end if you can keep the car planted! There are so many ways to lighten the Fox and shed a couple hundred more pounds, without making the car any more harsh fatiguing to drive. That's the best aspect of these cars, they are a handful to play with and keep coming back for more. Vdubin's Coyote 4 eye shows us what you can achieve using modern 'off the shelf' parts, ingenuity, and a plan. Outwardly, the car comes off as the ultimate ultimate sleeper, sounding almost like any old pushrod 5.0 at the stoplight idling., Until the car jumps and supercharger begins to scream with that familiar exhaust growl as the RPM's pass 4-5-6-7000 and a touch more for good measure.

No doubt many folks who spent 35-50,000$ or more on a modern muscle car will get schooled if they cross paths with this car!

You only need a touch over 400 HP in a lightened foxbody to absolutely stomp the cars listed above. Should be a rocket ship!

Currently doing the Hydroboost swap in my 85 (Using the 03/04 unit) and I was wondering if you had any issues with pressure hose sealing? Also curious as to the part numbers of the adapter fittings you used to adapt the HB units pressure outlets to -6AN. Trying to only do this once! Lol
    "Foxbody Enthusiast"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456