Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

deleted
    Last edited by STL79Coupe; 04-21-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

I don't know if you bought the intake yet, but Tasca parts has it for $245 plus shipping. It will be $27 for shipping to my house in St. louis MO
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I don't know if you bought the intake yet, but Tasca parts has it for $245 plus shipping. It will be $27 for shipping to my house in St. louis MO
    Yea, I ordered it Friday, it was on sale for the same price, but shipping was about $33 for me, so it cost just a bit more. Thanks for passing it along. I'm not sure why these intakes are selling for so cheap, any ideas?
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

No idea, I just started looking into getting one for my car.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Same thing happened when Ford released the PI stuff for the SOHC 4.6. The swap stuff was cheap. You could upgrade for about $400 with all OEM parts. The prices creeped up as time went on. Seems like parts are cheaper when they are used on current models. I think because there is not much demand for spares.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Same thing happened when Ford released the PI stuff for the SOHC 4.6. The swap stuff was cheap. You could upgrade for about $400 with all OEM parts. The prices creeped up as time went on. Seems like parts are cheaper when they are used on current models. I think because there is not much demand for spares.
    Agreed... I think it has to do that they are in current production, so their production costs are absorbed into the manufacturing process. As the vehicles age, and they aren't "currently" producing the parts, then they seem to go up.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Lets talk Hydroboost.... I've found out a ton this week about hydroboost. Mostly after talking with Jack Hidley at Maximum Motorsports (Trey, thanks for that recommendation). When asked specifically about the conversion, Jack first asked me what brakes I was running? If I was running the smaller pistoned 1996-1998 Cobra, or the larger/non-finned 2003/04 Cobra calipers. I had already purchased the 1996-1998 Hydroboost, as I was under the impression that it was more easily adapted to the Fox Body. Well, Jack said that its important not to mix up the generations of Hydroboost with the different generations of Brake Calipers. It helps with overall pedal feel, brake responsiveness, and performance. So, in the end I had to buy a second Hydroboost setup this morning out of an 04 Cobra, so that it matches overall my 03/04 Calipers. Fortunately, I was able to get the whole Hydroboost with hoses for a good price, out of a low mileage car, so that worked out.

That leads me to identifying the two systems. I had no idea, so I thought I would post here the difference between the early and late hydro units. The early units, 1996-98, have short hard lines that first connect to the pump, and then full lines that connect to fittings on the ends of the hard lines.... like this:

Name:  96-98hydroboost.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  113.7 KB

The later model hydro system, 1999-2004, has the power steering lines connecting directly to the pump, and looks like this:

Name:  99-04hydroboost.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  142.7 KB

I also found out that the stock lines should all bolt right up to our rack, and to the 2004 PS pump, and the Power By The Hour brackets will mount this very close to its stock location in the engine bay.

Next week I will have more information about my HB swap, as I am installing a swap kit that is in the process of being developed, and is almost ready for retail sale. It allows for a simple bolt-in upgrade to our cars. I'll have more on it in a week or so.

One last thing that Jack mentioned, was the need for a power steering cooler when running hydroboost. Based upon his recommendations, I grabbed this Derale 11x6 Power Steering Cooler Kit, at Summit. Part number 13215. I'll mount it at the bottom of the radiator/core support, so it will get fresh air. It was reasonably priced at just over $40, so hopefully will work out well.
    Name:  der-13215_xl.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  36.8 KB
    Last edited by vdubn; 04-26-2018 at 06:46 PM.

In addition to Hydroboost research this week, I have been really looking into some of the weaknesses in the Coyote engine, specifically as it relates to RPM. I had some good conversations with MMR, and mentioned that I would like to be able to rev the engine to fully utilize the 2018 intake, which is a little over 7k rpm. I asked what weak areas they recommended addressing in the valve train/timing components, heating/cooling, etc., and they said for a good street build (not running forced induction), the following items were recommended to keep the engine revving clean and smooth. I have a list of their recommendations, with just a note or two for each. This is what I ultimately decided to install onto my engine. Since I knew I was taking the timing chains/tensioners and cam gears off of the engine anyway, this stuff made sense.

- Oil Pump and Crankshaft gear - As most already know, since these are made from powdered steel from Ford, upgrading this is a must for higher rpm operation

- 5.0 Coyote Billet Steel Secondary Upper Chain Guides - These are heavy duty cam chain guides, and paired with the Secondary Tensioner bracket, is a great way to eliminate the back side tension that Ford puts into this engine... more on that below.
    Name:  camguides_.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  20.4 KB

- MMR SHD (super heavy duty) 5.0 Coyote Upgraded Secondary Chains - Per MMR, these are a weak link, and good insurance if you are already taking everything out to swap the oil pump.
    Name:  shd-chains.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  35.1 KB

- MMR Billet Secondary Tensioner Bracket - This bracket allows the cam tensioner to install upside down, which eliminates the secondary chain failure. MMR does a great job explaining why, but the main piece is that the chains should always be tensioned on the "slack" or loose side, and Ford is notorious for tensioning on the wrong side. This bracket fixes this issue, and resolves the chain failure at the same time.
    Name:  tensionerbracket.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  23.7 KB

Here is the bracket installed:
    Name:  tensionerbracket-installed.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  53.8 KB

The last thing I picked up from MMR, was their Coyote Engine Crankshaft Turning Socket tool, this allows you to be able to turn the crank easily, without using the crank bolt. Its nice that it allows you to swing the crank back and forth without issue. With the crank bolt, unless you tighten it down super tight, it will come lose going back and forth... plus, part of doing new projects is getting new tools
    Name:  crankshaftsockettool.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  36.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by vdubn View Post
    Lets talk Hydroboost.... I've found out a ton this week about hydroboost. Mostly after talking with Jack Hidley at Maximum Motorsports (Trey, thanks for that recommendation). When asked specifically about the conversion, Jack first asked me what brakes I was running? If I was running the smaller pistoned 1996-1998 Cobra, or the larger/non-finned 2003/04 Cobra calipers. I had already purchased the 1996-1998 Hydroboost, as I was under the impression that it was more easily adapted to the Fox Body. Well, Jack said that its important not to mix up the generations of Hydroboost with the different generations of Brake Calipers. It helps with overall pedal feel, brake responsiveness, and performance. So, in the end I had to buy a second Hydroboost setup this morning out of an 04 Cobra, so that it matches overall my 03/04 Calipers. Fortunately, I was able to get the whole Hydroboost with hoses for a good price, out of a low mileage car, so that worked out.
    I did not know this. Now I know why the brake pedal felt different when I put 03 cobra brakes on my 96 GT compared to my friends 96 Cobra. Thanks!
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

double post
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Tension a chain on the load side?! What could possibly go wrong, right?! Lol. That’s messed up!

I'm gonna roll the dice with my opg and crank sprocket. Coyote stock racers havent had any problems on NA cars, but boosted cars are recommended to change them. When I do my intake cams I might change them since I'll be in there.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

I made some good progress on my timing updates. I installed the updated secondary chains, upgraded billet secondary guides, and the MMR bracket that flips the drivers side secondary tensioner, and it all went pretty well. Here are some pics of how I installed the MMR bracket that flips the secondary tensioner bracket.

Name:  timing8.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  68.7 KB

There is a good video of how to do this, but the quick and dirty is to push the tensioner out, insert it back in from the opposite side, then install the factory plastic guide up top, and the billet guide under the top of the secondary chain.

Name:  timing12.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  timing13.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  timing14.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  65.4 KB

This shows how the billet guide looks from the bottom side.
    Name:  timing15.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  60.6 KB

I was also able to get the oil pump and crankshaft gears replaced with the Boundary forged gears. It all installed nicely, and the build quality, especially of the oil pump gears, was awesome. The data sheet showing how tight the tolerances that Boundary uses, are pretty amazing. The most difficult part of swapping the oil pump housing, was how tedious it was to remove the oil pump pickup bolts. Be careful if you do this, to make sure that the O-ring for the pickup is located. I made sure mine was slid onto the oil pickup, even though it was stuck to the bottom of the oil pump housing. I didn't want it dropping off and losing it, so I grabbed it and put it onto the pickup.

The last thing that I thought was weird, is that the crankshaft gear had no timing mark on it. As you can see, I just transferred the mark from the old to the new. After looking at the TSS gears, it appears that they don't have marks either, but the MMR gear looks like it does.

Name:  timing4.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  67.6 KB

The housing went back together great, and I didn't use assembly lube like some do, but instead I put some good std 30 weight oil in the housing while installing the gears, and before putting the back cover back on. I used blue loctite on the pump housing screws, and tightened them down. No real torque spec that I could find for these, so just tightened them good and tight.

Factory gears I pulled:
    Name:  timing5.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  74.8 KB

And half of it back together:
    Name:  timing16.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  72.3 KB

I would have buttoned it all back up, but I need to buy a vice to compress the primary tensioners. I'll grab one tomorrow, verify that the timing is good with a couple rotations, and then I will be waiting for the Cam Phazer bolts from Ford that are torque to yield, and need to be replaced.
    Last edited by vdubn; 04-30-2018 at 02:25 AM.

I ran into an issue last night, as I was preparing to reinstall the timing cover in preparation for a chance to install the motor into the car this weekend. As it turns out, my 2012 engine has an older cover, which has to be changed out, in order to run the Power By The Hour brackets that hold the Alternator. Without the newer cover, there is no provision for the tensioner and idler on the passenger side of the engine. So here is what Ford did. Apparently whey they first released the Coyote engine in 2011, they released it without a passenger side tensioner/idler, and used a "stretch-to-fit" serpentine belt... sounds like a great idea. Anyway, somewhere along the line, at the end of the 2012 model year, they went to the later timing cover that uses a tensioner on both sides, however, this is not consistent. In talking with PBH, they have seen these early covers on engines from 2014.

So, to make a long story longer, I had to get a new cover, and just for clarification, all 2011 to 2017 covers are interchangeable, so the later ones will bolt to the early engines without issue. The best news was that Ford is selling these for cheap right now. $90 for the cover, and $14 for next day air to get it to me, so I should have it by tomorrow....so maybe there's a chance I could get the motor ready by this weekend. We will see. One other hurdle I have to get over, is that I need to machine the cover to clearance for the brackets, and my friend and neighbor has a milling machine in his shop, so Friday I should be able to take the cover over to him, and get it machined.

Here is what the old cover looks like (the passenger side), this is my cover, and as you can see, there is no boss for the tensioner, and no machined surface for the tensioner to mount flat to.

Name:  timingcover.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  79.7 KB

Here is what the new cover looks like, from 2014 and up Coyote engines:

Name:  14-uptimingcover.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  33.3 KB

Here are the areas that we will be machining to clearance for the brackets:

Name:  machinedtimingcover.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  216.5 KB

Doesn't PBH sell a machined front cover? I thought I saw that somewhere, but I'm not 100%
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Its been a while since I've updated the thread, but a ton has happened in the last 2 weeks. Primarily, I got the Quick Time bellhousing test fit on the engine, after getting the timing cover all sorted out, and have been acquiring the last parts needed. Well, a little over a week ago, I came across the Department of Boost web site, and a killer deal on a GT500 supercharger. So... I pulled the trigger, bought the SC, and all of the parts for the GT550 kit that Dept of Boost sells. Should net a minimum of 550 hp, some are saying as much as 550 wheel hp at around 10psi boost.

I had the 52lb injectors that were already on my engine, and the rest of the GT500 parts were pretty cheap on the used market. Heres a short list of the main items needed, and about what I paid, so you can see that the kit is pretty reasonable for the hp returns:
    - GT500 Throttle body (new) - $95
    - GT500 Supercharger with elbow and bypass valve - $300
    - GT500 Heat Exchanger with brackets - $75
    - GT500 Intercooler water pump (had to buy new) - $175
    - GT500 hoses to connect heat exchanger to pump - $40
    - GT500 CAI (2010 and later) - $75 (used)
    - Dept of Boost Intake Manifold - $2500 (biggest item)
    - Factory Coolant Reservoir/Degas bottle - $45
    - Factory Heat Exchanger Coolant Reservoir/Degas Bottle - $32
    - 2 - Factory Degas bottle twist-lock caps - $10 each

There are idlers, fittings and a Roush throttle body splitter harness that add up to a bit more, but that's most of whats needed. The only fuel upgrade I am planning, is to run a Walbro 450 Lph pump that I just happened to have in my storage shed. I just installed my Walbro 255 Lph, so once I swap those, I will put the 255 up for sale.

I'll hopefully be doing a test fit this weekend, to see if I can fit it all under the stock hood (crossing my fingers that it will).

I pulled the whole front bumper off the car again this weekend, so that I can install the power steering cooler, and the GT500 heat exchanger. I'll post pics as I get those mounted.

Here is a pic of the test fit of the bellhousing and the starter. Only need to ding one of the headers to clearance the starter hump in the bellhousing.
    Name:  qt-bell-test-fit.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  65.7 KB

Here are a couple pics of me estimating for hood clearance, with the cleaned up supercharger:

Name:  coyote-gt550-1.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  coyote-gt550-2.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  73.8 KB
    Last edited by vdubn; 05-14-2018 at 03:52 PM.

I also got all but one of my fittings for the hydroboost hoses. I decided to make my own, rather than use the stock hoses that I got with the hydroboost kit. They will fit more precisely, and will route exactly where I want them to. Here is the diagram that I used to help determine which fittings were needed:

Name:  PowerSteeringLineMap.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  68.1 KB

Here are all of the fittings. One thing I found, instead of running one 90 degree and one 45 degree AN fitting off of the steering rack, like the above picture recommends, I ran both at 45 degree, so that I could have less of a tight turn on the hoses coming out of the rack. The bottom hose on the rack goes back up to the hydroboost pump, and the top hose goes to the radiator support where the steering cooler will get mounted (this is the return side of the system).

Name:  hydroboost-fittings.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  91.6 KB

I decided on using the Earl Steel AN-6 fittings, and I went with the cloth-wrapped Earl's ps hose, that has a 3000 burst strength. After a long conversation with Jack at MM, he said that its not a good idea to run any of the stainless braided line for Power Steering, due to how rigid the hose walls are, that the pulses of the PS system actually get transferred to the rack and the hydro pump, instead of being absorbed in the lines. This is not good for either of these parts. Its important to have more pliable lines, which is why I opted for the Earls PS hose. I am hoping to have at least the pressure and return hoses built this week, along with the power steering cooler mounted up in front of the radiator. I'll show how I'll be using the factory cooling tube from my 85, as a manifold that runs through the core support, and makes the job a bit easier/cleaner.

Another small project that I took on, was the fitment of the late model pedal pads onto the fox body pedals. Since I am using the MM hydroboost convertion kit, I am using the MM brake pedal, so I will trim the mostly square pad to accept the late model aluminum pedal covers. I figured, since the gas pedal has one, and since I have the pedal cluster out, I would try to make them all match.

Also, I found a gentleman close to me that had a Mach 1 he was parting out, so I got the stock brake and clutch pedal arms for cheap. Just need to transfer the Mach 1 pedal pad to the Fox clutch pedal arm, and hopefully we will be in business.

Here is the complete set, brand new Ford has been liquidating these for about $40 for the whole set, including the gas pedal assembly.

Name:  aluminumpedals.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  119.8 KB

Here are the Mach 1 pedal arms that I will be transferring to the Fox pedal arms

Name:  mach1-pedals.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  48.2 KB

Now I'll play devil's advocate. lol! You should send that SC out here to Bob Stiegmeyer to be ported. My buddy put a 11 GT500 with a stieg ported blower in his '05 roush and it makes close to 800hp. It ran 10.90's on 20" nittos.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Wow! You are playing devils advocate

Just out of curiosity, how much does he charge to port the SC?

I'm a bit intimidated by the almost 600 hp that this is supposed to produce, I can't imagine 800hp.... plus the 2005 cars weigh a good bit more than our fox body cars.

FEP Senior Member

If you have the car up and running, I'll be up in Sherwood at the end of the month. I'd love to see it in person if you're OK with visitors.