Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I was able to sort out the fittings on the Hydroboost connections from the master cylinder to the lines out the wheels, and was able to eliminate the proportioning valve as well. At this point I won't be running any proportioning valve, but we'll see how it feels when I first take it out. With my Cobra master cylinder and brake booster, I didn't run a PV, and it felt good. It will be interesting to see if the hydroboost acts any differently.

Name:  brakeline-fittings.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  70.2 KB

Here is a pic of the fittings on the HB pump. I went with the steel fittings versus the aluminum, as they are more resilient to removing and reinstalling, or making and remaking if needed.

Name:  hb-fittings.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  95.0 KB

I am planning to finish cleaning up my headlight harness, removing all ignition and alternator sections out of the harness, as well as the three plugs that normally sit up next to the wiper. I will also eliminate the fender mounted starter solenoid, and run all of the wires behind the apron, under the drivers side fender. It should clean the engine compartment up a good bit.

Then, hopefully we can get the engine, transmission, and headers on so that I can test fit the coolant, heat exchanger, and power steering reservoirs. Hopefully I'll have some pics from this weekends progress.
    Last edited by vdubn; 05-18-2018 at 02:54 PM.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

Got a lot done, with many thanks to friends that came over and helped to wrestle the beast into the car. The weekend started with the VMP pulley puller arriving and within 2 minutes I had the stock pulley off of the supercharger (awesome to have the right tools). My Dept of Boost intake kit should be here by Thursday, so I should have the new pulley ready to install by the end of the weekend.

Quick shot of the pulley removal:

Name:  pulley-puller1.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  pulley-puller2.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  58.3 KB
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).

The next hurdle was getting the engine into the car. I lifted the back as high as I could safely go, then removed the shifter from the T56, and ran my engine leveler to full angle (trans down), and with four of us, we got it super close. When I first built the car, I installed the additional roadrace brace that braces the K-member for track use. Well, it V's from the center of the K-member, and angles back to the A-arms, and these two bars hit the oil pan, since the oil pan sits like 1" behind the K-member. That brace was a bear to install, but within about an hour, after pulling the A-arm bolts, I had it back out, and set the engine all the way into the car. Here is a look at the brace.... AJE is actually going to make me one that will fit behind the K-member, and still brace to the A-arms, and the best part... its a 2-piece unit, so should be way easier to install.

If you look close, you can see the silver lines where the corners of the oil pan were hitting.

Name:  aje-race-brace.jpg
Size:  96.6 KB

The next issue, I found out as I was dropping the engine into its mounts, was that I had to remove the PS pump, as the return elbow was hitting the swap bar brackets. Even though I was running the SN95 brackets, it hit up close to the mount flange on the frame. I ordered 1" K-member spacers today, so those should fix this issue, and also give me the room I've calculated, that I can still run my stock hood with the supercharger. I should know for sure by Friday or this weekend.

Name:  ps-pump-interferencew.jpg
Size:  110.8 KB

Once I pulled the brace and the PS Pump, it dropped right into place, and the oil filter was super close. So, after some research, I found the Ford Motorsports part number, FL820S, and its about 1" to 2" shorter, so should give me plenty of room, and not require that I drop the sway bar to change the filter.

Name:  oil-filter.jpg
Size:  51.4 KB

Then I proceeded to install the Stifflers trans crossmember, and driveshaft loop, which went on SO easy!!! I can't say enough about how nice those parts are. I got the trans totally mounted, and then went to isntall the aluminum driveshaft. Greased and slid the yoke into the transmission, then went to mate the rear to the differential, and oops. Flange on the driveshaft is 1/2" larger in diameter. Come to find out, to run the aluminum driveshaft behind the T56 Magnum, they install 3350 U-joints, which are larger than the 3330 or 3310 U-joints found in the Fox Body cars, so I have to run an 03/04 Cobra IRS rear diff pinion flange, which I will have by Thursday. Hopefully I will have that all together by this weekend.

Name:  differential-flange.jpg
Size:  52.2 KB

Now, I had a few folks mention that I could just run a "conversion" or "bastard" u-joint, and use a small flange from a Fox Body. My main issue is strength, as more than a couple mentioned that they are much weaker than a std u-joint, and to do it right, the whole driveshaft would need to be rebalanced after installing the new flange. Since I am looking at around 550 to 600 hp, I don't mind spending a little extra time and money to finish it right. I bought the new Cobra flange today, $49, and will install it this weekend.

The other thing that I spent a lot of time doing this weekend, was mounting the PCM, and the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I had to fab up a metal bracket to install behind the carbon fiber inner aprons, to support the FPR, and I also had a buddy make a large washer that was the shape of the PCM flange, made out of 1/8" aluminum sheet, and had nut-serts installed, so that I could just screw the bolts to secure the PCM, into that, and sandwich the carbon fiber apron, making it super strong. It would have probably been fine with just mounting it to the carbon fiber, but with the aluminum plate on the backside, it really supported the PCM and the apron, so that there won't be any issues later on. These turned out really good, and mounted super clean.

Name:  PCM-mounted.jpg
Size:  78.3 KB

Name:  fpr-mounted.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  PCSM-FPR-Mounted.jpg
Size:  80.5 KB

Finally, the engine was all set, and man does it fill the engine bay. I have less than an inch clearance between the pass side header and the frame rail. You can almost see in this pic how tight it is:

Name:  header-frame-clearance.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  63.4 KB

Here are a couple of pics of it all in and sitting pretty:

Name:  engine-mounted1.jpg
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  engine-mounted2.jpg
Size:  82.9 KB

The space on the drivers side between the hydroboost setup and the valve cover is pretty close. Should have a bit more room once I install the K-member spacers.

Great progress!
    1985 ascMcLaren 5.0 SC Roadster
    My '78 Fairmont build - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...539-78-Big-Red

LOL, my passenger side is right on my frame rail. I'm worried about my hard brake line that runs on that side of thr frame rail.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

One last thing I conquered this weekend, was stripping out all of my alternator, TFI module, ignition, starter solenoid, and related fusable link wiring out of my headlight harness. I started with this coming through the firewall from the dash:

Name:  headlight-harness-cleanup-old.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  68.9 KB

Then I removed everything, and re-wrapped it all, and ran it through the drivers side fender rail. I think it turned out pretty good, I just need to secure it now to the fender rail, and shorten the headlight harness that goes to the passenger side, but that will be a bit later.

Name:  headlight-harness-cleanup1.jpg
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  headlight-harness-cleanup2.jpg
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  headlight-harness-cleanup3.jpg
Size:  52.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    LOL, my passenger side is right on my frame rail. I'm worried about my hard brake line that runs on that side of thr frame rail.
    Which K-member are you running, and are running any spacers?

Quote Originally Posted by vdubn View Post
    Which K-member are you running, and are running any spacers?
    UPR spaced down 1", but no other issues so I'll deal with it. It's just a drag car that will see the street once in a great while.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234