Close

Threaded View

Default Diving In: Coyote GT500 Swap into 1985 GT

I know its been done before, so I'm not breaking new ground, but I came across a deal I couldn't pass up yesterday, and picked up this 2012 swap with 42k miles on it:

Name:  IMG_0642.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  64.5 KB

Edit - 4/16/18 - After a couple weeks of working through a bunch of options, and deciding not to fab up the hydraulic clutch stuff, I have decided not to run the factory MT82 6 speed transmission. It is still a great option, but I didn't want to mess with mounting a clutch master cylinder to the firewall, and fabbing up the connection to the pedal. For those that are willing to do the hydraulic fab work, you will need to run a shifter like the MGW race shifter (they have a short version that brings the shifter back into the Fox Body opening in the tunnel, so you should be able to still run your factory center console if you want). Give the guys at MGW a call, they are super helpful.

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/79

I don't have to switch out to a full electronic instrument cluster, but I decided that I really like the Dakota VHX instrument cluster, and will be running the one with red lighting to get a similar match to the red dash that came factory. This will allow the speedo to work off of the VSS, and give me tach, coolant temp, oil pressure, etc.

I found a place that can remove the PATS (theft deterrent) form the ECU, but not sure how to handle the wiring. After much more research, it looks like the Ford Control Pack is THE way to go, so I have ordered one (they are on back order nationally, so it looks like it will be a couple of weeks before it arrives).

In terms of mounting, I am running an AJE sub-frame, so thankfully AJE makes bolt in engine mounts. I decided on running a T56 Magnum 6 speed, and Stifflers makes a nice rear trans cross member for about $150, so I will be running that, along with the Stifflers rear driveline loop which is about $135, so that should get it installed into the car.

I have decided that I want to run power brakes and power steering, so I will be documenting the swap over to a 1996 to 2004 hydroboost setup. I also decided to run the Power By The Hour bracket kit, which will allow me to run 1996 to 2010 accessories (power steering pump and alternator). I opted for the LMR SVE Alternator kit, which is about $170, is brand new, and comes with a lifetime guarantee. Even my local Napa couldn't come close to that deal. As for power steering, I bought a used Hydroboost pump, and a power steering pump from a 1997 Mustang (mostly to get the pulley). I also grabbed some adapter fittings from LMR, that adapt the rack fittings for my 1993 Cobra rack, to AN fittings. Still need a couple fittings for the Hydroboost pump, and the hoses, but should be good to go after that.

Maximum Motorsports said that they are looking to release their Hydroboost mount kit in the next month or so, which I'd love to run. Looks like the kit will include the mounting plate for the firewall, and a replacement brake pedal so that I can still run the stock Fox Body pedal cluster.
    Last edited by vdubn; 05-22-2018 at 11:38 AM.
    85 GT Hatchback, T-Tops. 2012 Coyote 5.0L Swap, T56 Magnum, GT550 Dept of Boost kit, with Eaton M122 SC, RAM 11" Powergrip clutch, BBK Long Tubes/OR X-Pipe, Flowmaster Axle Back, Stifflers DS Loop, and Rear X-member, AJE Tube Crossmember with AJE-Mod Mounts, 3.73 Posi 8.8, 5 lug Cobra 13" fr and 12.6" rear disc swap, 2004 Hydroboost Swap, MM SubFrame Connectors, MM Panhard Bar, MM front A-Arms, MM rear control arms, MM CC Plates, MM Coilovers w/Koni dampeners, MM Torque Arm (soon to be installed).