Close

Default exhaust pointing downwards?

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum but was hoping y'all would be able to help me out. I purchased a 1985 GT 5.0 and the last owner put a straight pipe on it but about halfway down the length of the vehicle it cuts off and points down. I'm wondering why he did this. Do you think he did it just to make it sound nice? Could this cause problems for me or is it something I shouldn't worry about? Just wanted some 2 cents on this. Thanks in advance!

That's referred to as a "dump" exhaust. It's not going to be super driver friendly as the noise in the car will be kind of unbearable. Also the exhaust fumes will come up into the car when you're stopped. It's not uncommon as it's a cheap way to make the car loud, but you'll likely end up wanting full length pipes on it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt J View Post
    That's referred to as a "dump" exhaust. It's not going to be super driver friendly as the noise in the car will be kind of unbearable. Also the exhaust fumes will come up into the car when you're stopped. It's not uncommon as it's a cheap way to make the car loud, but you'll likely end up wanting full length pipes on it at some point.
    The noise is nice but I want to go fast not be loud lol. I appreciate the reply its on my list off things to do now but it sounds like it'll be okay to have it be near the bottom of the list.

I just took the single chamber flowmasters with dumps off my wifes ragtop last week. I put them on to try it out but took them off after ~6 months. We did not smell the exhaust, but it was the drone and vibration of the sound echoing off the bottom of the car that drove us crazy. Her more than me. It was plenty loud though, you could definitely hear the car coming.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

turndowns accomplish 2 major things.

1 - makes the car quieter by less tones making it to the area around the car. Some waves die under the car.
    2 - in addition to the soundwaves bouncing off the ground generating cancellation they also have less of a tendency to bound off one another at odd tones in a way that generates the dreaded DRONE effect. You can also take two parallel pipes and cut them off at different lengths and angle them away from one another in addition to down for added reduction audible sound.

When I was in highschool we would put straight pipes with dumps on cars to make them sound "good". If we wanted them loud we would buy cheapo Napa glass packs and pour them full of diesel fuel and let them soak overnight. Next day we'd dump the fuel out and light them on fire then shoot oxygen into them with a torch. When they burned themselves out we'd paint them cherry bomb red and install them. The expansion tubes would make the car sound like it had a 900 CID motor with about 50:1 compression under the hood comparatively. Dumps turned down make noise but aren't too bad. Letting hot gas expand like that then shove it back through a small tube makes it LOUD AS HELL. Nearly unbearable even if you turn the pipes towards the ground.