Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1986 LX 3.8L Convertible

I am a HUGE fan of all the threads here that show folks working on their Mustangs and bringing them back to life.

well, I figured I would become a poster and not just a reader now. Here is my pride and joy, 1986 Mustang LX convertible with a 3.8 V6 (yes, another one!). I bought it when I was a poor Sergeant in the Marine Corps in 1999. The blue paint and those stripes caught my eye as I drove past the car lot. Little did I know what lay in store for me!

i took it to the hobby shop on base and lifted it to get an idea of what I was dealing with. I pulled the tires off and pulled the rear brake drums. Parts fell out of the drivers side rear! The oil was consistent with molasses and the trans fluid smelled like a forest fire. Top it off with the front end being just this side of falling off!

saved my pennies and bought new pads front and rear and hardware kit for rear drums. Bought two oil changes and a can of Risolene and a filter kit and fluid for the trans. I did the brakes and led them. I changed the fluid and filter in the trans. I changed the oil, drove it around the neighborhood, poured the Risolene into the crankcase and idled for 5 minutes. Drained that oil....nasty would be an understatement! Put a new filter and oil in. Did a tune- up with new ignition parts, changed all the fuel filters, and dumped fuel injector cleaner in the tank. Purred like a kitten!

Drove it daily for 2 years before being transferred overseas. Put it storage and there she sat for 12 years. Finally dug it out and dragged it across country to Virginia Beach where I live now. Know what a 1/4 tank of gas smells like after 12 years? My son, now old enough to help, has been invaluable in bringing the car back to life. Together we have gotten all the electric windows to work, electric door locks to work, and convertible top to work.

We we bought some 16 inch pony rims off Craigslist and will be repainting them and putting on new shoes soon. I will document the painting process of the rims. Been doing lots of research online on how to do it! Now it is time!!!

that is the history.....now it is time to do what all of you have done and share my triumphs and set backs. Let the games begin!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  105.1 KB

Why this picture showed up, and upside down, I have no idea. That is me and my son at the first game of spring training this year in Surprise Arizona. HUGE Royals fan! My son, well, he is a Texas Rangers fan. Must have been bad parenting on my part!!! Name:  image.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  128.2 KB

This is my other pride and joy.

Good looking car! Glad you and your son are getting it back on the road. Enjoy every mile my friend.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

I love it! I'm so happy to see someone keep their V-6 for a change. The car looks great! Post more pics when you can.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

It's great you started a build thread. I'm a fan of learning all about the history and experiences of others too. Looking forward to seeing your progress with this beauty! I've subscribed!

It's way overdue, so I'll be doing a fluid and filter change, and adjusting the bands and modulator on mine's C5 transmission soon.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

I rebuilt the front end on this just before she went into her 12 year hibernation. I put one of the PST polyurethane kits upon her. I should have replaced the steering rack when I was doing that but did not. Now that has to be done. The steering is so sloppy, just feels loose. So that is another thing on the agenda.

But first, I have been collecting parts to rework the doors. I have all the new electric lock actuators, new sheer pins for the electric Windows, new vapor barriers, new hinge pins, and the new rubber weather seals for the windows. That was all supposed to start today but a nasty cold front,a long with rain, came into town today! What happened to the 70 degrees yesterday? Only 40 today!

Also need to get the pony rims to the tire place and have the old shoes removed so the final prep for painting can begin. I will document that evolution for the masses!

i love my Mustang. At one time I was all about ripping out the V6 and putting in a V8. But I have decided that what I want is not a speed demon but a reliable cruiser that me and the wife can drive around and enjoy the sun and wind. Besides, people love this car now. I get looks whenever I drive it around!

my neighbor across the street has a 1985 GT Mustang with a 4 speed on blocks. I have been bothering him to get it out to enjoy. Factory stock except for the short throw Hurst shifter. He is melting. Been taking the old gas out of the tank in preps to get it running again. Been sitting in that garage for as long as I have lived across the street from him (8 years).

V6 is no fun, rip it out and drop a v8 in haha!

i live down the street and have seen yours and your neighbors. I've lived in the neighborhood at least 6 years longer and it was in his garage back then. I think it's an 83. It pains me to see it sitting. Over 10 years ago I talked to him briefly about it and he was uninterested in my conversation.

Good luck with your vert, it's a nice one.

I have an 86 gt vert that I will be putting back on the road in the next couple of weeks and then will be taking my ltd wagon off the street for a few months for a transplant.
    82 ford fairmont futura
    quicktime turbosystems 70mm turbo
    10.67@128.38

Default Update

Spring time in Virginia! What a beautiful time! Rain every other day, the yellow pollen so thick you can write your name in it, and where the heck did this cold nasty wind come from?

Needless to say, nothing has been done lately. I hate having a single car garage! Well, guess I will just keep accumulating parts for the eventual throw down!

slomont, Yeah, I have been jealous of some of the Mustangs that have graced your address over the last few years. Never understood why you you kept rotating them through. The 4 eyed Steeda you had would have been the keeper for me!!!

Default New/old Pony Rims

Well, I am back. Between work picking up, day to day family life, and my son graduating from High School...it has been busy! I have not been idle however. I FINALLY got finished with the pony rims I bought over a year ago and put them on the car today! She looks so much better with her new shoes! Here is the story:

i started by cleaning the heck out of the rims. This is the final cleaning of about three to ensure all the nasty was off of them. Between the scrub brush and the green meanies, I about took the old finish off of them.

as the guys on " Mighty Car Mods" (my favorite YouTube car show) I put some big on the wheels to repair the worst of the road rash and used some 80grit to blend in the rash that was not as bad.

I then proceeded to tape up the center area and spray on a copy of coats of primer, sanding in between each to ensure a good base for the paint
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Coffeejoejava; 06-17-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Default Pony Rims continued.

It took me a while to find the correct Ford Argent Silver paint. Auto parts places around here do not stock that color from what I saw so I ordered 4 cans from Autoplicity which set me back about 50 bucks. When it was delivered, the painting began:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  100.9 KB

I taped up the back side and gave the inside of the rim a quick coating as well

Views: 402
Size:  90.9 KB

I did not like the idea of just paint so I went and bought some matte clear coat and gave both the front and back sides a good coating with it to help protect the finish.

Views: 403
Size:  73.2 KB

and there the rims sat until both time and money were afforded to finish this project. I bought some Hankook 225/55R/16's from Tire Rack and had the local Tread Quarters mount and balance them. My son and I raced down when they called and said they were finished and put them on! So here it is:

before with the ten holes

Views: 405
Size:  136.2 KB

and after with the pony rims and new tires!

Views: 401
Size:  139.4 KB

i love it! Took it out for a quick drive and she handles like a dream!

Going to to clean up the old ten holes and on to Craigslist they go! Anyone in the Hampton Roads area looking for some ten holes in good shape( no road rash) tires are old but good tread. Hit me up.
    Last edited by Coffeejoejava; 06-17-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: I spell terribly

Default One more upgrade!

I have wanted one of these on a car ever since I was a little kid going to car shows in the early 70's.....and this car has the right vibe for it!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 410
Size:  113.2 KB

Love it!

Nice work, the wheels look great!

Joe Dirt approved gas pedal!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

New rims look great.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The Ponys look awesome!

The ten holes didn't look bad though either...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

The ten holes need a complete redo. I am planning on just cleaning them up and putting them for sale on Craigslist. I have always liked the look of the ponys and when opportunity presented itself I bought them. I love the way they look on the car

Nice convertible!! I'm in the Hampton roads area where about are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Virginia Beach...right down the street from Slomont! I see all his play toys regularly!

I have not been working much on the 86 lately. My son joined the Army and is currently in Basic Training and my daughter wants nothing whatsoever to do with cars. Not interested in the slightest. Coupled with me going to school full time....not much time in my calendar. And, truth be told, now that my son is gone, not much enthusiasm to work on it by myself. No garage to work out of, too damn hot outside, no real free time....all adds up to neglected Mustang sitting waiting.

Oh cool I'm in Newport News there's a local cruise in over here every sat swing by sometime if you'd like, what's your son doing in the army? My brother just finished boot camp around this time last year out in Oklahoma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have been to that cruise in before. Is it in a shopping center parking lot? I cannot remember the street as I do not go to that area very often. We kinda stumbled across it coming back from DC one weekend.

Well, the weather is starting to turn here, my classes are starting to slack off a bit. I will be under the Mustang this weekend. Starter has been making noises for a while, horrible noises, but it starts at the flick of the switch. Lately, however, that noise has taken a life of its own. Going to get it out and see what I am dealing with.

I still need a garage that I can work in instead of in front of!

My son is currently in basic training in Fort Benning Ga. He graduates the first week of Oct. I am so damned proud of that young man. I will admit, I got down right misty on his last day at home before I drove him to the recruiters office for his long journey to begin. It was like I lost my best friend. I told him that he is doing a mans job and from now on, people will never look at him as a kid anymore. I guess we did something right in the way my wife and I raised him. Still have a daughter at home and she is toying with the idea of entering the Air Force Academy. I think she just wants her brother to salute her!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeejoejava View Post
    I think I have been to that cruise in before. Is it in a shopping center parking lot? I cannot remember the street as I do not go to that area very often. We kinda stumbled across it coming back from DC one weekend.

Well, the weather is starting to turn here, my classes are starting to slack off a bit. I will be under the Mustang this weekend. Starter has been making noises for a while, horrible noises, but it starts at the flick of the switch. Lately, however, that noise has taken a life of its own. Going to get it out and see what I am dealing with.

I still need a garage that I can work in instead of in front of!
    Brace yourself for frustration with starter R&R, with likely having to shift the engine/trans with a large pry bar toward the driver's side as much as you can to get the bugger out of and back into there. The rear passenger side X bracing bar needs to be removed, or at least it's two rear bolts undone and the bar bent downward out of the way. That, and a socket, universal, and a good long one or two socket extensions to get at the top bolt from above the engine mount up front. They REALLY crammed the area around the starter in these. I just had mine out to replace the nose bushing and drive due to half stripped heads worn out loose bolts that somebody (idiot) threw back in without lock washers with a very recently new starter. The air was blue with a curse word or three while I dealt with this one here, lol. It's surrounded by the oil pan, catalytic convertor, bell housing, and k-member lip. Take your time and be careful when having to pry the whole drive line over with one hand and guiding the starter down and back up through said window that's too friggin' small statically...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 08-24-2016 at 07:57 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Yeah, I read your post about what you had to do to remove yours and thought to myself.....nah....it's just his. Nope. Totally kicked my but. Thankfully, I did not have to completely remove it. The bolts were very loose so I tightened them up and all is well.

I have a question though. Have you ever seen an a/c delete 3.8? The belt routing diagram in the engine compartment shows it but I can find nothing on it. I want to remove the a/c unit that has never worked in the 16 years I have owned the car. Heck, it has never even had the hoses! So it has to go. Any ideas?

Mine were loose initially too, mostly the top bolt, and then I tightened them, and all seemed okay for about a week, and then it began making worse noise. The drive and nose bushing in mine took a beating from being cockeyed loose for a short time and having had to spin the engine over with it making the racket to get it running and get it back home. I hope you have better luck with yours.

I don't know what that means and haven't seen an a/c delete 3.8. Mine was a dealer-installed a/c... so I guess mine was originally an a/c delete, or a non-a/c anyways. So, mine had the a/c mounted down low on the driver's side under the power steering pump that is (still) mounted up high on the driver's side. I'm not sure what you want to know. If it's about belt length, surely you can get a belt for the car without a/c, or measure for what you need. If it's about routing and your car has the low position for the power steering pump, you'll have to try to make that work or move the pump up if possible if it doesn't jive with everything else as is with the a/c removed...

These pics show where my power steering pump was from day one, and where it still is, mounted up high:

Last edited by Walking-Tall; 08-28-2016 at 09:06 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

I love what you did with the carb. I have always wanted to do that and now that I see what you have done....it is in the hopper of things to do. Have you ever thought of putting on the shorty headers from a 94- up Mustang 3.8? I have a set and want to do it when I do the exhaust system.

Thanks, I'm loving how much better it's working. I haven't thought about headers, no, or any performance parts for it really. At least for the time being and with the 3.8 in it, I'm just seeking trouble-free operation, and efficiency that the little car with the stock little engine should achieve. I'm not done yet and it's already been both of those. Cool, be sure and update us with your modifications and pics!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast