Close

Default '85/6 Charcoal body accent and trim paint.

This should be easy, and feel free to berate me if the answer is under my nose and I missed it. Looking for a paint code/trade name for the charcoal window-surround trim and lower body paint to help a friend restore a nice low-miler '86 GT. My sister had a 4-banger Med. Canyon metallic with lower accent car, and I know my way around Mustangs, but getting a consistent answer is frustrating. I've been driven toward metallic body colors or just slop black. It's neither.

Any help? Thanks.

FEP Member

I’m in the process of doing mine now.im using s.e.m.39153(charcoal)

^^This^^ Definitely not a metallic color, and definitely not black. Its a matte finish charcoal.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

SEM makes one of the best trim paints on the market for the Fox body. They make a charcoal and a black which are almost a perfect match for our cars. They are a bit pricey but worth every penny.

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by sowaxeman View Post
    ^^This^^ Definitely not a metallic color, and definitely not black. Its a matte finish charcoal.
    he said he was looking for the original charcoal trim paint.doesnt get any closer than the sem 39153.i know dupont makes it also in quarts to mix,but do not know the number.

The SEM paint is fine for touch ups and for those that don't have a spray gun. The issue with the SEM paint for daily drivers and cars that are not stored indoors is the longevity is always an issue due to not being a catalyzed paint or clear coated. Ultimately it just doesn't hold up long term without special care. Again for those that store their cars in garages or constantly under covers away from sunlight not as big an issue.

The correct color code for the 85/86 Dark Charcoal Grey Trim paint should be PPG #DDL 33717. If you have a spray gun and are willing to spray it or need to spray enough that it warrants buying in larger quantities than spray cans this is the way to go.

Personally I prefer spraying this from a quart can when redoing a complete car as I don't worry about inconsistency between cans and IMHO it's a better product. Depending on how you have it mixed you can spray as a single stage and be done with it. I personally spray it as a BC/CC. To get the correct sheen, I will use a flattening agent in my clear to drop my gloss to around 60%. Most of the flattening agents will give you a mix ratio to help with that. In my experience this gives just that bit of sheen that would have been factory like, but without the wet/glossy look of normal clear. The overall durability and longevity of the trim color at this point is generally the same as the rest of the body color if cared for similarly. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Ford did not have a paint code or a mix design on the charcoal accent paint. The SEM is an interior paint, will not hold up, and is too light in color from what I've seen. The hardest part to this paint is the satin sheen...it's not gloss or matte.

Do a search on my posts as I went through this with my 1985 GT two tone lower accent vert back in 2011. I was in the same position in that there was alot on my car and spraying professionally was the only option. I had windshield trim that was in covered storage away from sunlight taken off a 86 GT vert after it was totaled with low miles in 1986. It took several attempts to get the exact match but it still looks like the day I picked it up 7 years later! It is a commercial grade product made by Sherwin Williams that Coca Cola, Budweiser, etc. also utilize on their company delivery trucks. It is not cheap, but well worth the effort.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

The SEM Bumper Coater 39153 is a great match for the door, window, convertible trim, etc. An exact match on my 85 Oxford white GT convertible. However it is not a very good match for the interior such as door sills (too blue).

why this is not a sticky I don't know but Just went thru this also. IF you a whole car, Don't use spray cans you will go thru a lot and they may be a shade different
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

How about Now!?
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

A slightly different question...

I have an ‘86 GT, silver with Canyon Red interior. Does anyone have a source for the correct color hood decal and Mustang GT decal on the hatchback? Everything I find is black, but I thought the originals were also a dark charcoal.

wraithracing: while on the subject of trip paint, can you share your experience with the door and body surround molding painting? I am planning on doing my body molding in a matt black and match the door / window trims.

Also: did you see my posting regarding rerouting rear brake line?

I appreciate your insight!

Quote Originally Posted by mike357 View Post
    wraithracing: while on the subject of trip paint, can you share your experience with the door and body surround molding painting? I am planning on doing my body molding in a matt black and match the door / window trims.

Also: did you see my posting regarding rerouting rear brake line?

I appreciate your insight!
    I posted to your brake line already. In regards to the door and body molding, I assume you are asking about all the misc. trim. I generally do all of my trim pieces in BC/CC using either a flattened clear coat or one of the newer Satin Clear coats. Long term durability outside in the elements is much better when using a BC/CC rather than a single stage or rattle can in most cases. In regards to year models, the 85/86 trim is mostly charcoal grey and the 79-84 are black. Small universal items that were used on multiple models such as door handles, radio antennae, lock cylinders, wiper arms, etc. are black no matter the year model.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller