Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What a nightmare. I am going with bad injectors. You would have gas all over those plugs otherwise. IF the injector is getting the signal and getting fuel you should have gas in your oil by this point. I hate to say it, but if I had cleaned them I am sure I would have screwed something up.

I guess the other bit could be the seating of the injector on the rail. I only have experience with CFI but those injectors just push up into the rail, is there some way that they are not seated fully? Is there any kind of safety catch in the rail that doesn't allow fuel to flow unless the injector is fully seated?

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    I guess the other bit could be the seating of the injector on the rail. I only have experience with CFI but those injectors just push up into the rail, is there some way that they are not seated fully? Is there any kind of safety catch in the rail that doesn't allow fuel to flow unless the injector is fully seated?
    Injectors are seated in the rails and the intake with O rings. The injectors are just a press fit into both the rail and the intake with the metal fuel rail holding the injectors in place one the rail is bolted to the intake. There are no safety catches in regards to the injectors being seated.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yeah, so like the CFI. I was hoping it would be that simple. Well then, I say the 'cleaning' killed the injectors. Fuel injectors, I assume (and all that goes with that), have a solenoid. I bet they are all toast.

or the CLUE version,

It was the previous owner, in the garage, with something unholy to clean the injectors!

Blog Entries

You say you have injectors coming anyhow, so by all means try them. However, if that does not solve the problem, I would seriously consider finding a no start trouble tree diagnostic and start at the beginning, following all the steps no matter how basic and stupid they may seem. I have chased my tail many, many times because i was "sure" something was ok and moved past it without double checking, only to have it bite me in the butt. I watched a highly experienced Porsche /Audi tech remove most of the interior of a 911 once to replace the illumination harness, only to find the connection at the fuse buss had come off. We've all done it.
    I still suspect your problem is in the ignition, more specifically in the distributor, but it's been years since i had to work on the old Ford F.I. I know the tps can cause this, but you would not get any injector pulse. The PIP could, bad wiring could, and a weak signal or bad ground could pulse a noid light but not be enough to fire an injector. Too many variables to not follow a diagnostic procedure. Just my opinion, y.m.m.v., as the saying goes.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by jdrtexas View Post
    ... And it looks like I forgot to cap the vacuum port on the back side of the upper take that connects the same port that goes from the front of the upper intake and connects to the charcoal canister on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I don't think that would cause the problem...but anything is possible at this point!
    So, is that a vacuum leak?
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

New User

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice and I have to agree....at this point, I "think" it is the injectors. The old saying "No good deed goes unpunished" I cleaned them in Purple Power twice in an ultrasonic cleaner (warning to others who might do this) and I have to think either the cleaner fried something inside the injectors or all the injectors (not likely) were already bad.

As far as the vacuum port, yes that would have created a vacuum leak, but I would guess the engine would still at least try to start with the port uncapped.

I will install the injectors when they come in. Cap the vacuum port and then see what happens. I will also adjust the TPS to hopefully .95 volts.

Thanks again everyone for the advice and ideas, I appreciated it.

I personally wouldn't adjust the tps to the mythical .95 or 1v or .9999999 whatever you have read. It doesn't matter much. Shoot for something like .6-1.1v at idle, and it will idle fine. Wot is initiated at 3.5v above idle. Anything past that isn't factored in, neither is the "idle adjustment". It resets every time you cycle the key on and off.

Vac line off might make it idle funny, but as long as the iac is working and the map Sensor has enough vacuum, it shouldn't change anything. It would be worth it to fix it while you are there.

Hopefully it is the injectors, I've never cleaned mine before, as long as my engine passes a engine cylinder ballance test after a tune up, its good enough for me.
    Last edited by Haystack; 04-08-2018 at 07:51 PM.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

New User

Mystery solved!! Put the new set of NOS injector in and it fired right up!! Set the timing and it idles great.

Thanks to everyone for your advice, suggestions and sympathies! I really appreciate this group.

Thanks
    John

Glad it’s resolved! Always aggravating when stuff doesn’t work!

Blog Entries

You now go down in my record book as "the poor bastard who had all 8 injectors go bad at once." Glad it's solved!
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

New User

Ha! Thanks! And I think I have to take full credit for trashing all 8 injectors by cleaning them in an ultra sonic cleaner with Purple Power. That stuff must mean business....and for those out there thinking about cleaning your injectors, use the tears from a baby seal or something more gentle!!

Excellent to hear it is running! Is it fast? ��

New User

Can't say yet! I have the front end apart, from here it goes to the paint booth.

Hopefully I'll be able to answer that question by June!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123