Close

Default Does anybody know if someone repairs the HVAC panel?

I have a used replacement in my car right now but they have gotten very expensive on eBay. I still have my original and am wondering if there is any way to get it repaired. I'm talking about the entire control panel that sits in the dash.

The switch that changes from max to norm to vent to hi-lo to heat to defrost is bad. It got harder and harder to put it into defrost and then just stopped moving through most of it's range.

The replacement I am using works better than the original one has for years but I'm pretty sure it is for a different year because the switch tips are vertical rather than the original horizontal.

FEP Power Member

The hvac panel consists of 4 controls.
    -The first 2 are just switches which are easily replaced, the blower switch and the rear defrost switch if present.

The next two are where the big problems reside.
    - the cable operated control is for the hot/cold blend door. This often gets sticky due to kinks, rust or other things. The lower end is easy to get to behind the glove box door. The upper end is at the hvac panel. Clean the rust off both ends and lubricate with a high quality lubricant, maybe even a dry lubricant and work it in.

- the last and most difficult problem, is the vacuum control lever. Basically this is a sliding block which allows switching between various vacuum motors. What happens here is the retaining plastic bracket breaks and it just falls away. This prevents the switching from defrost, dash and heat. It may also cause the engine to run rough as it causes a vacuum leak. I thought many years ago someone was repairing these with a replacement bracket. These days is seems the only fix is replacing it. This part is specific to ac cars only. The prices have doubled in the last few years on this part, and it’s only available used.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

3d print the plastic bits. Drill out the rivets and remove everything, clean it up nice and put it back together.

Or even better, remake the plastic bits not out of plastic.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar