Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFI to SEFI

Default CFI to SEFI

I'm taking the SEFI intake off of an 88 Mustang to replace my 85 ASC/Mclaren Convertible CFI. I have the upper and lower intakes, the fuel rail and injectors, new Fuel line to Rail connectors, ECU with Harness, fuel injection harness and MAF harness and sensor. Is there anything I'm overlooking, (different Fuel Pump?) I plan on putting in 24 lb injectors to replace the stock ones. I have both a cold air intake and the stock air intake and filter that installs under the passenger side quarter panel. Anything I'm missing?

Second Question, has anybody done this and moved the 85 battery from the passenger side to the drivers side. I have the windshield washer fluid reservoir that fits under the drivers side quarter panel as well as a fan shroud with the coolant reservoir on it that I can replace the dual reservoir on the 85, in order to make room for the battery on the drivers side. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Wow, a mclaren with cfi. Wild. I assume it was all cosmetic then?

Cfi was standard on aod 5.0's in 85.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Wow, cool car, just googled it. Is it true it ran to 60 under 6 seconds with a special cam? For some reason I doubt it... If it did don't you dare put a sefi on it!

I'm sure this one won't run that fast, Don't know what it's capable of, got it in Nov and it's up on the block while I change the rear end, brakes and exhaust. I'm hoping to get it up to the low 300 hp range. I can tell you this, when I drove it home I took a 270 degree exit off the highway at 60 and had no lean.

Interesting that you pulled that article, that is the car I own. Unfortunately somebody stripped some of the parts, Recaro Seats, Leather ASC steering wheel for sure. Coincidentally it was titled in Odessa Florida before I bought it. Anybody familiar with ASC's will understand.
    Last edited by DBoyer0; 03-28-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Wow, crazy. If I were you, I would leave the sefi conversion for last. Is it running now (nevermind you were driving it)? How mangled is it? Is it throwing codes of any kind? I have been slowly upgrading an 84 CFI and I am beginning to suspect SEFI may not be cost effective at the start of improvements. I suspect with a low compression flat tappet 85 block (is it?) SEFI will not do much for you that CFI couldn't. I got great results out of just putting shorty equal length headers and full duals on mine. That plus better gears would probably make it quite the car.
    Last edited by emerygt350; 03-28-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Hmmm, Recaros were optional in '86, I believe. Your McLaren has cruise (!) so I don't think it wouldn't have had a leather wheel.

But, I could be wrong.

Mike

This is interesting, I would like to hear from the 'seniors' on here about this... I am sure the 303 didn't go into CFI cars... http://www.ascmclaren.org/WhatIsAnAscMcLaren.html

1985 saw an increase in sales to 407 (150 H/B, 257 conv) units for the Capri. ASC took a greater step forward as it began to offer a supersport suspension kit containing stiffer springs that lowered that car and revalved struts. The interior was treated with real Recaro seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, and a 140-mph speedometer. A new front airdam, side body ground effects, and a rear valance filled out the exterior changes. Ford, by specifying a special DSO code for all ASC destined cars (D32), shipped these cars from the factory with the Motorsport B303 camshaft and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe tie-rod ends. This was to insure a factory warranty covered these parts
    The next year was a turning point for ASC. It was the first year for the SEFI engine that replaced the driveability problems of the carburetion and CFI. It was also the last year of the Capri, which also meant it would be that last year of the ASC/McLaren built on the Capri. The 1986 models were essentially unchanged from the previous year. Bowing to dealer pressure to reduce the price of the cars, ASC offered a 'stripped down' version called the Eurocoupe. Based on the hatchback, the car was devoid of the accent stripes, high end stereo, radar detector, and a few other niceties. Sales rose for the final year to 407 cars, 245 convertibles, 115 hatchbacks, and 47 Eurocoupes. Although the 3-door model captured more than a third of the sales, this was the last year it was offered.

Recaro's were standard in 1985, optional in '86 due to price resistance. As far as I know, they all had the 3 spoke leather wheel, I haven't checked to see if there was a CC delete on the cars from the factory and it does have the CC, but that doesn't mean it wasn't put on afterwards. I'm pretty sure that isn't the wheel that was original to the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Hmmm, Recaros were optional in '86, I believe. Your McLaren has cruise (!) so I don't think it wouldn't have had a leather wheel.

But, I could be wrong.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by emerygt350 View Post
    Wow, crazy. If I were you, I would leave the sefi conversion for last. Is it running now (nevermind you were driving it)? How mangled is it? Is it throwing codes of any kind? I have been slowly upgrading an 84 CFI and I am beginning to suspect SEFI may not be cost effective at the start of improvements. I suspect with a low compression flat tappet 85 block (is it?) SEFI will not do much for you that CFI couldn't. I got great results out of just putting shorty equal length headers and full duals on mine. That plus better gears would probably make it quite the car.
    Yes I drove it, but the brakes were in bad shape and the exhaust had too many holes in it. I was aware of both problems when I bought it. Other than the exit I drove it overly cautious the 25-30 miles to get it home. The engine showed no problems, I took it up to 85 but stayed clear of traffic on the highway to avoid any sudden breaking and it ran smooth as a whistle. The guy driving behind me said I was getting a lot of head turners on the road.

When I found an 88 Mustang ASC/Mclaren for $1400 that had the Recaro seats in it and much of what I wanted or needed for mine, I scooped it up.
    Finding the Mustang made me slow down on the project while I evaluated what to do. I've stripped the engine down to the block on the '88. It appeared to have only 45k miles on it from the history reports I pulled. So I'm still deciding what I want to do, though the SEFI swap is something that I'm just sold on for now.
    The engine isn't my top priority for now, but I have been able to assemble the parts I wanted from the 88 as well as some great pickups from craigslist. I already bought the parts for the brakes but when I found the mustang I changed directions. The Mustang was pretty well stripped down, has some bad rust in the cowl, floor board and trunk area. I'm using it for the Capri for now and will decide later what direction to go with it. That said, I'm looking at changing the rear end to put the 8.8 on the Capri as well as the dual exhaust. I'm debating changing the spindles on the front to get the 11 in disks instead of the 10's. I'll decide on the gears in the rear end later. My hold up is a decision on shorty headers before I change the exhaust over. Both were AOD cars and I can take the dual hump cross member for the Capri.
    Bottom Line is I'm not touching the Capri engine other than headers until I have the brakes done and the exhaust replaced and get to drive it a little more as the engine is. Yes I'm compiling parts that I find for great prices. While it's up in the Air I'm removing and cleaning and painting as many pieces under the car that I can. I bought it to be a long term step by step project. The car is rust free, did have a couple of front enders and who ever repaired it did a **** job on the drivers side and didn't pull out the metal enough that there's a bow in the quarter panel, A close look at the pictures and you can see the bottom of the quarter panel doesn't flow straight.

This is interesting, I would like to hear from the 'seniors' on here about this... I am sure the 303 didn't go into CFI cars... http://www.ascmclaren.org/WhatIsAnAscMcLaren.html

1985 saw an increase in sales to 407 (150 H/B, 257 conv) units for the Capri. ASC took a greater step forward as it began to offer a supersport suspension kit containing stiffer springs that lowered that car and revalved struts. The interior was treated with real Recaro seats, leather wrapped steering wheel, and a 140-mph speedometer. A new front airdam, side body ground effects, and a rear valance filled out the exterior changes. Ford, by specifying a special DSO code for all ASC destined cars (D32), shipped these cars from the factory with the Motorsport B303 camshaft and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe tie-rod ends. This was to insure a factory warranty covered these parts
    The next year was a turning point for ASC. It was the first year for the SEFI engine that replaced the driveability problems of the carburetion and CFI. It was also the last year of the Capri, which also meant it would be that last year of the ASC/McLaren built on the Capri. The 1986 models were essentially unchanged from the previous year. Bowing to dealer pressure to reduce the price of the cars, ASC offered a 'stripped down' version called the Eurocoupe. Based on the hatchback, the car was devoid of the accent stripes, high end stereo, radar detector, and a few other niceties. Sales rose for the final year to 407 cars, 245 convertibles, 115 hatchbacks, and 47 Eurocoupes. Although the 3-door model captured more than a third of the sales, this was the last year it was offered.
    As best I could tell from Sandy's postings, the convertibles never got the 303 cams, I have seen some guys that verified they had them in the coupes. I'll know in a few months when I get around the insides of the engine. A neighbor of mine had a performance cam for a 302 that he was going to put in his Model A roadster and decided not to play with it so he gave me the cam to change if I can use it. In any event it will be a little while before I check that out.

Cruise wheel discussion: http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/view...t=cruise+wheel

"Sandy always said that cruise control was not ordered very often because you lost out on the leather wrapped wheel."

Mike

What a great find even with the scratches though. Glad you are taking your time. Quite the unicorn. I put hooker super comp shorty equal lengths on my 84 aod and have been very happy. No problem with steering knuckle etc... Bbk h pipe with cats. Putting 3.73s in the 7.5 this week. I decided that the 8.8 wasn't worth it since I know my rear is low miles and works great (the limited slip). Would hate to put something beat in there.

I just read the article, It was most probably 15X,XXX miles no matter what the article says and I didn't pay anything near $12,995 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    Cruise wheel discussion: http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/view...t=cruise+wheel

"Sandy always said that cruise control was not ordered very often because you lost out on the leather wrapped wheel."

Mike
    Wouldn't argue that, I haven't done any decoding yet, and the CC is coming out of it and I already have the ASC leather Steering wheel for it. I have the original sticker for it and it doesn't list CC on it.

What a great find even with the scratches though. Glad you are taking your time. Quite the unicorn. I put hooker super comp shorty equal lengths on my 84 aod and have been very happy. No problem with steering knuckle etc... Bbk h pipe with cats. Putting 3.73s in the 7.5 this week. I decided that the 8.8 wasn't worth it since I know my rear is low miles and works great (the limited slip). Would hate to put something beat in there.
    Thanks for the Header info, I have to make a decision soon on that because I do want to get it on the road and drive it a bit before I move on. I just can't get so anxious that I don't get the underside cleaned up and painted as best I can.

very cool I'm going to be doing the same thing. But swapping in a 88 motor complete. somebody hacked up the the CFI stuff. I plan on using a different engine harness (not the CFI) it was cut up to make a carb run. I do know there was a Cruise control Leather wheel but are very rare. Most 86/86 ASC conv. that I have seen had cruise non leather and Auto's. If you try to reach me PM me or goto ASC board web site. 4 eyed pride will NOT give me notifications. Something about hotmail
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Quote Originally Posted by plumkrazy View Post
    very cool I'm going to be doing the same thing. But swapping in a 88 motor complete. somebody hacked up the the CFI stuff. I plan on using a different engine harness (not the CFI) it was cut up to make a carb run. I do know there was a Cruise control Leather wheel but are very rare. Most 86/86 ASC conv. that I have seen had cruise non leather and Auto's. If you try to reach me PM me or goto ASC board web site. 4 eyed pride will NOT give me notifications. Something about hotmail
    Are you going to move the Battery? I have the harness from the 88 mustang along with the computer I'm going to use. Good luck on yours.

you have to move the battery. Air box will be in the way on right side. Battery cable to starter different. when on left. And would be a good time to upgrade starter to newer version for less problems down the line. I Did a 1986 4cyl to 86 5.0 SEFI and it went smooth. But had to change/add rear fuel lines and harness. 86 4cyl was carbed
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

When I swapped an SEFI 5.0 into my 83L I moved the battery. Since you have all the Mustang wiring it won't be that hard to do.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by DBoyer0 View Post
    I'm taking the SEFI intake off of an 88 Mustang to replace my 85 ASC/Mclaren Convertible CFI. I have the upper and lower intakes, the fuel rail and injectors, new Fuel line to Rail connectors, ECU with Harness, fuel injection harness and MAF harness and sensor. Is there anything I'm overlooking, (different Fuel Pump?) I plan on putting in 24 lb injectors to replace the stock ones. I have both a cold air intake and the stock air intake and filter that installs under the passenger side quarter panel. Anything I'm missing?

Second Question, has anybody done this and moved the 85 battery from the passenger side to the drivers side. I have the windshield washer fluid reservoir that fits under the drivers side quarter panel as well as a fan shroud with the coolant reservoir on it that I can replace the dual reservoir on the 85, in order to make room for the battery on the drivers side. Any recommendations would be welcome.
    See http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...arb-conversion

Note 1: If its converted to Speed Density, you can do it like this with no battery position swap.

Note 2: The export SEFi engines from 1992-2002 used the reversed 180 swap aka the Lightening 5.8 truck on the upper intake.

It avoids the battery replacement completely

Later washer bottle goes where the second CFi cold air intake goes. No need for the washer bottle, so you can fit the battery or an Airbox there.

plstktnkr2 did a relocation diagram on his 83--->89 SC 3800 Tbird swap. The photbucket pictures are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jnkyrd1 View Post
    Not jacking your thread. Just showing GREAT minds think alike.

That was exactly my plan. Since I have the intake, air box and all else, I am moving the battery. I'm not interested in using the cold air intake that is inside the engine compartment, I prefer to go under the fender as it is now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast