Close

Default 351W Swap - Alternator bracket

What have you swap guys used for alternator brackets? I was hoping to run a serpentine belt on mine, but I dont know. I bought a stock replacement water pump for a 1984 LTD, which is what the 351 came out of. The block was out of the car, but the guy i bought it from gave me a vbelt setup with it. So i just figured thats what i was going to run, not thinking that far ahead in my build plan. Any suggestions?

Can you use a stock fox alternator bracket? They only bolt onto the passenger side cylinder head. You could probably use a ribbed serpentine 4 cylinder Ford Ranger water pump pulley, but if you're using any more accessories you should probably go to the reverse rotation fox water pump. You will probably have to re-drill the Ranger pulley to fit.

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by cb84capri View Post
    Can you use a stock fox alternator bracket? They only bolt onto the passenger side cylinder head. You could probably use a ribbed serpentine 4 cylinder Ford Ranger water pump pulley, but if you're using any more accessories you should probably go to the reverse rotation fox water pump. You will probably have to re-drill the Ranger pulley to fit.

Cale
    Wow I dont know. Those are some good ideas. Im kicking myself for not having all of this stuff in place before i even did the swap. Normally im very structured. Its definitely been an experience.

Stock piece works fine, if you want to get fancy get a March bracket
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Stock piece works fine, if you want to get fancy get a March bracket
    I would rather keep the whole thing as budget friendly as possible. I seen those March brackets those suckers are expensive.

Using stock 351w 1995 F150 brackets with revearse rotation pump.
    $60 from the bone yard.
    Serpentine belt. Allows for Gen3 alternator.
    Mustang thermactor delete bracket fit perfect.
    Sandblasted and painted it with aluminum engine paint.
    Works and looks great.
    Good luck.

Kirk

Using stock 351w 1995 F150 brackets with revearse rotation pump.
    $60 from the bone yard.
    Serpentine belt. Allows for Gen3 alternator.
    Mustang thermactor delete bracket fit perfect.
    Sandblasted and painted it with aluminum engine paint.
    Works and looks great.
    Good luck.

Kirk

I don't have any experience with it but there was a 351 with serpentine in the 1995 Cobra R model. I have no idea what those brackets really are from. I suspect Ford robbed them from some other model (F150 as mentioned above?) because I doubt Ford would invent a new one for such a low production model. Just another idea to research is all.

The 96-2001 Explorer 5.0 changed to F150 mountings, so a combination of Exploder 5.0 and later F150 5.8 parts usually works well.

The head to crank spacing goes up 1.294" on each bank, but the brackets bolt on to the heads as long as you use the right ones.