Close

Default Rear Brake Routing ?

Converted my 86' with a complete 98' cobra rear end. I need to finish rear brake lines so i purchased V8 line that goes from front of the car to rear. Also sourced the correct bracket that mounts to the body above driveshaft. Was planning to use the MM prebent rear kit. Got car up on the lift to swap and upon looking I started thinking why the hell would i make this swap. Appears to me I should keep the line running down passenger side and fab my own lines that will give a cleaner look. What am I missing? Why is everyone moving line to the middle? What 3 soft lines would work the best if I keep the passenger side hard line routing?

On cars with dual exhaust, having the line in the center of the diff keeps it away from the right tail pipe.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

Quote Originally Posted by Lowetlx View Post
    On cars with dual exhaust, having the line in the center of the diff keeps it away from the right tail pipe.

what i have been told but not seeing any benefit. I can easily route the line away from any exhaust interference. Im thinking it is more of a monkey see monkey do thing since ford did it and its a bolt on. From a safety standpoint I also not liking it so close to the driveshaft

It’s the soft line that poses the problem. Trust me, your car already has the holes for the dual exhaust brake lines. Do it right, do it once. I was going to go your route, then came to the conclusion I wasn’t smarter than the Ford engineers. Do a search on this forum, “brake line routing”. We covered this extensively.

I used the MM kit, and it is insanely nice.

The center hose with the 7.5" differential is a clearance problem with the right side exhaust as noted, plus the brake line on the right side frame rail will be less than 1" from the right side muffler. Brake fluid and heat don't mix.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by jazdill View Post
    why the hell would i make this swap. Appears to me I should keep the line running down passenger side and fab my own lines that will give a cleaner look. What am I missing? Why is everyone moving line to the middle? What 3 soft lines would work the best if I keep the passenger side hard line routing?
    I did just that. I took a hint from the 99-04 brake line routing that the ford engineers did. It eliminates one of the three soft lines. You need to get the hard line from a 99-04 mustang that goes from the passenger side to the driver side, or make your own. There are two soft lines that will go from the area right in front of rear axle bump stops down to the brake caliper. I had to bend the bracket on those to fit them the way I did. They were originally designed to bolt to the frame on the side where the bump stop is. I also bent a piece of hard line from the end of the factory line at the passenger side frame to the three way block at the passenger side soft line. In the picture, the black hard line is the factory part I took from the 99 mustang, and the green colored hard line is the one I bent. If your interested, my complete photo gallery is linked below.
    http://netweber.org/gallery/index.ph...Rear-axle-swap

Last edited by svocapri; 03-31-2018 at 07:57 PM.
    Julian

85 Capri - Hydroboost, 2004 rack conversion, Saginaw PS pump, SVO 4wheel disks & suspension Megasquirt.

Quote Originally Posted by svocapri View Post
    I did just that. I took a hint from the 99-04 brake line routing that the ford engineers did. It eliminates one of the three soft lines. You need to get the hard line from a 99-04 mustang that goes from the passenger side to the driver side, or make your own. There are two soft lines that will go from the area right in front of rear axle bump stops down to the brake caliper. I had to bend the bracket on those to fit them the way I did. They were originally designed to bolt to the frame on the side where the bump stop is. I also bent a piece of hard line from the end of the factory line at the passenger side frame to the three way block at the passenger side soft line. In the picture, the black hard line is the factory part I took from the 99 mustang, and the green colored hard line is the one I bent. If your interested, my complete photo gallery is linked below.
    http://netweber.org/gallery/index.ph...Rear-axle-swap
    That looks like the solution to my problem. I had bought new SS lines, the LMR bracket, and center mount lines to use for my 94 GT rear setup. Sounded like the perfect plan until I took out my stock axle and got bit by the oddities that make my 79 much more fun.

First, my brake hard line goes into the floor pan 4" after the stock rubber hose connection. Sounds good since the line isn't where the right muffler will eventually be, but there isn't much to work with to bend it the correct direction. Second, the holes that the stock/LMR bracket uses are there, but they are being used by my stock muffler hanger (yep, the 39 yo muffler is still there). The bracket would have to share the same physical space as the hanger.

The 99-04 setup may be a place to start. Are the threads on the fittings different for the 99-04 parts?
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

All of the brakes lines in the rear of the dual hose Mustangs will be M10 or M12 ISO bubble flare. Some of the brake line nuts are a real pain as they are a special long version that are required to go into the super deep bore y adapters.

I would not install this hard line/hose system the way it was done from the factory. At full bump, the axle housing can break the hoses off. The way it is installed in the above photos seems to avoid this problem.
    Jack Hidley

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

A little off the original subject, but how are the IRS cars set up? Do they have a hard line down either side of the chassis? I haven't decided which route I'm going (solid axle vs IRS) with my Zephyr. I have a complete '94 GT rear end, and grabbed the hard line that runs down the center of the car. I also have an '03/04 IRS lined up, but haven't gone to get it yet. I've never been under an IRS car, so I don't know how the brake lines are set up.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

All IRS Mustang Cobras have four channel ABS, so there are two separate hard lines running down the frame rails. At each frame rail there is one hose going out to each caliper. It is simple to adapt these hoses to an IRS install on an earlier Fox car. You still need to get the right hand brake line away from the muffler on that side of the car.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by 83gt351w View Post
    I used the MM kit, and it is insanely nice.
    I'm waiting for mine to arrive...
    Project "WinBacK" 1986 LX Hatchback
    - CA car, 5.0 w/5 speed
    - Cobra 17x8.5's + Modded Mach1 Chin Spoiler + 83-84 Hood & Scoop/85-86 "Blackout"+ FMS Mass Air Kit+ MM Clutch Cable & Quadrant + Fiore Cable Adjuster + MM SFC's+ Wild Rides "Battle Boxes" + Explorer Intake, Converted TB & Injectors, 70 mm Mass Air Meter + BBK Ceramic Shorties + 2.5" Bassani O/R X-Pipe & Cat-Back Exhaust w/ 3" Tips + 3L27 w/ Carbon Fiber Clutches​(out of retirement) + Pistol Grip Shifter + 99-04 GT Front/00 Cobra Rear Disc Brakes

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    All IRS Mustang Cobras have four channel ABS, so there are two separate hard lines running down the frame rails. At each frame rail there is one hose going out to each caliper. It is simple to adapt these hoses to an IRS install on an earlier Fox car. You still need to get the right hand brake line away from the muffler on that side of the car.
    Roger all, thanks. I'll have to see about getting some pics of the IRS donor if/when I go to get the rear end. I may even be able to get the brake lines from the guy, depending on what he plans to do.