Close

Threaded View

Default The half million mile refresh - 1986 GT

I've been a member on FEP for a while now and I've posted a bunch of stuff, etc, but I haven't really went through and documented what all I've done to my 1986GT and all that is planned for it when the time comes, etc.

For those who are not familiar with my car, I've owned it for over 25 years. It was my daily for 18. The first thing people think of when they think of me is my black four eyed fox. Synonymous like Robert Urich in character as Spencer for Hire with his 66 2+2.

Once the young me with a polished to the hilt shiny and beautiful four eyed fox with a bad-ass stereo.

Now the older out of shape me with the rusty to the hilt and well worn four eyed fox with that same old bad-ass stereo.

I've somehow managed to drive my 1986GT from the time it had 78K miles on it until now when its on the downhill slide of the last 100K miles as it works on going from 450K to 500K.

I ran the car as a sleeper with only mods you can't really see most of the time. Opened up then welded back stock headers, extrude honed intake, VM1 tune SD computer (which it came with -- one of just a few cars that did). A heavy clutch, some sticky street tires, and a lot of the time more guts than sense.

Its ran a best of 13.26 at 114 MPH on street tires running pump gas which was very quick back in the 90's when I would street race as a broke dude in college and out so I could pay the insurance and afford the parts to make it take me to work every day.

Two full seasons on the drag strip apparently didn't affect the old 5.0 that much -- it went on to run all these miles since.

I have receipts for over 50 pairs of tires, 13 clutches, 2 rear ends, and 9 T5 transmissions. One lasted as many as 215K miles, one lasted as little as 10K miles, most were somewhere in between.

When I started on the suspension in 2015 it had a broken spring in the drivers front and another in the passenger rear.

The bushings in the A-arms froze in place and the rubber got hard enough to stop giving and eventually the A arm bolts turned the holes in the K member into a football shape.

All the salt has also taken its toll on this car. The torque boxes and rear floor section are pretty well rotted out. The floor is in extremely bad condition. etc.

These days the car has the following mods:
    89GT seats with who knows how many miles. fabric dye protected them though.... going to SVO foam and leather
    FB-169 aluminum radiator
    UPR Under-drive pulley kit
    Cold air kit
    MAF conversion with an A9L
    70MM MAF (note -- don't do this without more fuel pressure or a tune, preferably a Cobra ECU.....)
    65MM throttle body
    65MM EGR spacer
    Typhoon EFI intake
    Holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator
    BBK equal shorty headers
    MAC X-pipe with CATS
    2.5" flowmaster mufflers with tail pipes from a ratted out MAC cat-back I bought from Paul at HP Motorsports in 1998.

HPM caster/camber plates (added finally in 2015)
    Maximum Motorsports Strut tower brace (HPM brace removed in 2015 to clear the intake)
    HPM subframe connectors

New stock replacement shocks, struts, quad shocks
    Steeda X2 balljoints
    MM SN95 on fox bumpsteer kit
    Reman 86GT rack
    reman PS pump
    transcooler and inline filter for the PS pump -- run with synthetic -- no more noise!!

Replacement A-arm bushings with JEGs A-arm bolts (what a PITA that job was... next time I'll drop the K-member and put in new arms-- it would be easier)

1995 Mustang front spindles
    1999 GT dual piston calipers
    M1858 1" bore master cyl
    Summit Racing adjustable proportioning valve
    1995 Mustang 8.8 with SN95 rear disc and 5-lug
    1995 Tri-bar rims
    245/45/17 tires
    Camber bolts
    Low miles take-off 1993 GT front springs
    Low miles take-off 1993 4cyl LX rear springs
    Rear swaybar eliminated
    1986 T5 built with T5Z gear kit and specs
    350lb torque rated clutch

Planned mods with parts on hand:
    LMR re-popped 1993 Cobra waterpump pulley
    24 Lb injectors
    93 cobra ECU
    Wideband A/F and gauge
    Moats quarterhorse with custom tune (after rebuild)
    Fox witdh Mosier rear axles
    Panhard bar
    battle box torque box re-enforcements

Other planned mods:
    RUST REPAIR!!!!!
    factory sunroof top grafted in
    stoker kit or 351W based stroker shortblock
    better heads
    EFI friendly cam

This car is black with a red interior and it is my favorite.

I'll add pictures of stuff I've done over the years as time permits.

Pictures from last night when I took it for a drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-27-2018 at 12:19 AM.