Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Made it out with my 86GT yesterday. As the photos attest, it had been sitting in storage long enough for plenty of dust to collect on it. It gets a bit more ratty every time I see it. There won’t be too many outings left for the old gal before it’s time to enjoy the 85 while the 86 is getting completely blown apart and reformed from the ground up.

Im slowly coming around to the idea of basically doing a body swap. A straight rust free 86 shell in the rockers, floors, torque boxes, rear frame rails, and roof would be a very good start for that build. The alternative is a big stack of repair panels and a ton of time.

Either way there won’t be that much of the original 1/2 million mile car left. Parts wise I already have a facia, hood, fenders, doors, and hatch that can replace the rotten mess that’s there.

Im just glad the 85 is the polar opposite of my 86 in the body condition department. There are few foxes around that are as nice in the bones as the 85 now that the roof swap is finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I sorta tempted fate a little when I drove the ol four eyed fox yesterday after the meet before I put it back in storage.

Nothing completely over the top stupid but most definitely made sure all the ponies would gallop a little harder than usual.

I launched it as hard as I could, ran 1st to 60. For sure one of the hardest 60’s I’ve gotten out of it with the 2.95 1st.... clutch be damned.

I pulled 2nd with force and my foot firmly planted on the floor and by the time I found it milliseconds later I was on the rev limiter. I let it eat in 2nd until it hit its strongest part of the pull up top and stayed there too long- back into the rev limiter. Missed 3rd because my T5Z has a shifter problem ..... so I had to start over.

The 2nd run was more of the same only quicker and this time I found 3rd for a change so I let it eat. Went from 90 to 120 at the drop of a hat then I backed out of it at the end of the 1/4 and let it coast down. I didn’t time it but it was fun and was for sure quite fast for the car.

For sure faster than its ever done without slicks. Heck faster than many passes with slicks honestly.

It’s insane to know these cars just lightly modified will keep right on pulling as the gears click by one by one.

Thry do not give even 1/2 a crap as the 140 MPH speedometer becomes a distant memory in 4th.

But not this time. Instead once I coasted and it slowed to 50, then I cranked a few 90 degree corners.

There are are so many cars out there that will put this tired old thing to shame, but it would be a shame to have it out and not let it do what it’s always done best. Honestly one of the first things I think about afterwards is when I’ll get to do it again...... so glad I’ve kept this old beater driveable!

What shape are the front frame rails in this old horse?

Believe it or not, better than many. Lots of other stuff is trashed

Summer is ticking away rapidly. Haven’t managed to get Trigger out since May. Haven’t got my boat out this year either. Bummer. I’ve simply overcommitted for the time being and am taking a beating for it.

100 days til the new house is done. The old one is still too tore up to list. Down to the wire.

The Saleen clone might not make the Fox meet .... heck I might not either! Good grief!

impossible to do anything at home when I’m traveling 3-4 days per week and working 12-16 daily. Just gotta get through the move and things will settle down some.

then it will be to get back to living one day at a time. The past few years time wise have been complete nonsense and bad for my health.

FEP Supporter

For some it's hard to not overcommit or say no. Whether work, projects or life. I have a hard time with the balance. Seriously. My commitment to my work is big. I do wish for less stress and want to slowly back away from all of the work responsibility I take on and the company wants to keep doling.

All work and no play makes a dull boy though! Two drivable cars this summer has helped with it for me here and there when I do get out. Almost empty nesters now but somewhere a wife needs time too Especially when she has no interest in cars

I have one at home and one at college. Time has just evaporated.

We had such struggles financially for so long due to medical problems. Most people would have just declared medical bankruptcy but working in information security that was never an option for me. After more work than I care to think about and I’ve finally got my family to a place where we have some means and are daily driving reliable vehicles with less than 150K miles for a change.. That’s the great part, but it’s on a foundation of long hours and tons of travel. I miss out on hobbies and my kids. And my wife has no interest in cars either. Too bad she said she did once upon a time so it was more than just a bit of a news flash

Found a picture of my engine compartment. It was mixed in with some old pictures I had in a box of stuff from cleaning out my grandma’s home after she passed away in 2010.

Amazing all the stuff you find when packing up stuff to move.

The picture was taken in the fall of 1993 when my car had around 100K miles. Nice freshly installed coop battery and all. Sure wish I would have kept the original one.
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-31-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Finally got out for a drive in the ol Four Eyed Fox this evening. First time since late May! Wow — where has the time went?!

Ive kept my foot out of it because I don’t want anything to let go before the fox meet next week. I did manage to wash this poor old thing for the first time since I don’t remember when. Most definitely the first bath with the tribars because i have never cleaned them on the car before. Wow..... at least 3 years..... lol

Talking to myself again. Well - if you do read this come out to the Fox meet on the 29th or the gathering the evening before

Sometimes my best answers come from when I'm talking to myself.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Looks good all spiffed up!

When talking to yourself it’s important not to answer back. Lol

Picture from Midwest Foxbody Fest 2018. It’s been shared on another thread, but postingvit here too.

The intake is plenty tall — it touches the hood when I step on it hard
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-19-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

You’ve inspired me to start collecting parts for a 5 lug swap. Maybe years away from doing it, but will have what I need.

If you need help or info let us know!

94-98 rear ends are great for parts. They fit as a bolt in but are a bit too wide. Just get Mosier axles with SN95 flanges and Northern Racing brackets to keep stock width

front 83 2.0L Ranger rotors work on stock 86 spindles with 87-93 LX bearings and seals. An 1/8” spacer or two behind the wheel will help with tire clearance if using early SN95 rims

carbon fiber and ceramic derived pads work very well on the street and are no dust.

245/45/17 tires fit and keep the speedometer accurate

255/40/17 tires give it a lower stance and better grip

An adjustable proportioning valve helps dial it in

Upgrades to SN95 spindles opens up the wheel and disc and caliper options.

Save your time and buy Dorman A arms from Parts Geek.

SN95 balljoints are a huge upgrade.

Thanks for all the advice!

Got in contact with a friend who has a 1985 LX that was a 4 banger T-top car and was not well loved ever in its life. Tons and tons of problems with the car meant it was for sure a parts car and not anything to restore. He used it for T-top and door parts then offered it up for free to whomever wants it and will come get it, but its two states away.

Another friend - a fellow car guys - has a car that needs the metal from the floor from the car and is willing and able to go get it.

I spotted him some money for fuel and he's going to bring it home. Sometime after I finally move to my new house we'll cut that parts car up to turn it into metal for my build.

Pretty much Rocker panels, quarter panels, and everything from the rear torque boxes on back will get harvested to become potential donor metal for my car.

Its too bad so much of this particular shell is already gone or it would have been a good candidate for what is basically a re-body of my 86GT. The way this makes me go about things looks like it might make my piece of tired iron survive..... maybe.

The old girl made a calendar. It along with 84SVTStang and 10 other cars will be on a 2019 calendar. Royce put together 4 different calendars featuring all of the cars that attended Midwest Fox Fest 2018.

A stuck caliper rained on my parade when it came to driving it this year

I threw a new caliper on in time for foxfest 2019

Blew a torque box out simply driving down the street just a block or so from the event .....

Have it loaded in my trailer to take it to the Mustang Ranch in Lincoln to see if it can be kept rolling or if this is where the thread ends.

I discovered Tub o Towels (big yellow can, sold at Walmart and Autozone) actually wipes oxidation right off of paint. I wiped it down while trying to decide what to do with it. Stupid thing hasn’t looked this good in years. Backing out of the storage unit is “after”

That car beside me — piles of scrap from multiple other projects turned road racer. Lots of power, Tremec TKO, 8.8. Gutted, lots of great parts in it, etc. but the owner wants $5K for what’s there. He probably has $10K in it but yikes
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-21-2019 at 04:00 AM.

A few more pictures.....

shout out to those who redid that 84GT for TravisT— it looked amazing in person.

Seeing it was a stout reminder that life is too short. I got the new car my wife has been wanting. Time to figure out what I’m doing with this ratty 86.
    Last edited by erratic50; 09-20-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Finally got the car on a hoist today. The lower rear control arm bushings are completely trashed. Barely any miles on them and they are just destroyed. **** can material right there

the stupid part is they were installed properly..... not torqued until it was on its wheels.

Rob has some old HPM lower control arms. Going to switch to those because the quality just isn’t there on the ones on the car

And of course it had to break something else. There’s not a drop of water in my trailer but the water pump left a puddle in Rob’s shop. So that’s getting changed too while it’s there.

We’ve been looking around or a suitable rust free shell to transfer parts over to. Ideally 86 GT black with red interior so what I do to it isn’t far off the reservation

i keep thinking I’ll find one that would have been crushed it wasn’t for my project but so far no
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-21-2019 at 04:12 AM.

After disassembly the bushing was actually a lot worse than it looks in the photo, but its a bushing failure -- not a torque box failure. Shocking!

The problem with HPM control arms is UPR bushings reportedly fit but UPR doesn't sell bushing separately anymore. A battle for someone else's car, I said forget it and changed directions.

Swapped in MM adjustable ride height LCAs with new isolators. It needs to go down a little bit more in back to get it to transfer weight better, but its back together and able to be driven again.

Took it for a final cruise of 2019 this past Saturday. As is always the case, the time spent behind the wheel was too brief. I was nice to it for part of the time, then on the way back to Rob's shop I let her have it. It feels really good. Hell -- I never even missed 3rd this time by some miracle with that messed up T5Z in there.

I'm gradually getting the suspension and swaybar stuff, etc, how I want it.

I have stuff to get done on my 85 build and also have some things planned for this car. What it needs the worst is some healthy metal and a motor refresh.

Eventually I'll get back around to focusing on this one.

Sharing a photo of my daily too. I get it detailed once per year. Every year it’s not quite as nice as the year before but it still cleans up ok. Hell - is 12 model years old and has over 130K miles and gets mistaken for new often. I’ve enjoyed it in different ways than my 86GT but I have definitely enjoyed it.
    Last edited by erratic50; 11-04-2019 at 08:27 AM.

I realized tonight that my wife and I have been more or less fighting about this old bucket of bolts ..... I say fix it up, she says kill it ...... for longer than we've been married or had kids. Since about a year into our relationship this debate/fight has been a constant for over 20 years.

Shortly after we moved into our new house she started in on how the $2000+ dining room table and chair set that easily took me over 100 hours to earn the money for when we bought it 15 years ago doesn't look "right" in our new house and we need a new one. I thought to myself yea, after I have what I want.

Well -- then it went the same as it always has. Whatever amount of time maybe a year maybe more of back and forth and I declare its enough.

So we (well, I) bought a new table today that I certainly don't want. I love the current one and had NO intention of it going anywhere. Still pissed about it but its not worth the battle so there it goes.

Then it struck me -- if my car was repaired the ongoing debate/argument that has constantly raged on like the elephant in the this room would be all gone. Over with. Done. Realization = new perspective.

So now for some decisions.

BTW -- does anyone have a TRX front swaybar? I need one for this build.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    A few more pictures.....

shout out to those who redid that 84GT for TravisT— it looked amazing in person.

Seeing it was a stout reminder that life is too short. Time to figure out what I’m doing with this ratty 86.
    Thanks for sharing the picture of Travis's car. Was it at Foxtoberfest this year?

For your car? My two cents may be to possibly consider getting rid of it. I get attached also but when is it worth/not worth it from a money, time consuming, stress inducing and emotional point of view?

You have a really nice Saleen clone to drive soon and a lot of other things on your plate than to need another big worry don't you?

Dunno. That's from my perspective on the outside. Being the one involved is different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast