Close

Default 4180 c rebuilt carburetors, Thoughts?

Has anyone had any experience with rebuilt carburetors from Guaranteed Carburetors. They have rebuilt 4180 Hollys that they say they flow and bench test prior to shipping, that have been setup for 1983 5.0. There price is $198.00 for this unit. Then after you install your carb you send them your core back within 3 weeks or they charge you $88.00 core charge. I thought it is a fair price compared to a lot of other rebuilt carburetors. Any thoughts ?

No experience. Not saying anything in particular about them either, but some of the carburetor "puppy mills" don't pay particular attention to assembling all like and compatible components though, and they often aren't very friendly in the cleaning process either, with bead blasting etc. Some of the marketing statements of checking and adjustment of flow and full rpm range AFR mixtures and idle and other settings all set and ready to run for your vehicle, aren't really possible in the real world, and so are quite irrelevant... truthfully, the web site descriptions of operations, and/or lack of descriptions, are vague... making consumers think it's a widget that they can take out of the box, bolt down, hook up, close the hood, forget about it and go... maybe 1 in a million on a lucky day, but not often. I'd be inclined to hang onto an original carburetor for your car with where you know it has all of it's matching assembled components, etc., and clean and rebuild it myself.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thanks for your advice Walking-Tall. I may give it a try