Close

Default Epilogue - My Car 40 Years Later

Empty Morgo Lincoln-Mercury Dealership

The dealership has been closed since 1980's as far as I know. The owners son who sold me the car died in 2007 age 57.
    The building was torn down in 2008. What I found interesting about this was an article about the building being torn down.
    "A ceremony will take place at 1 p.m., prior to the demolition of the former Morgo Lincoln-Mercury car dealership at 1839 Front St."
    And some of the comments on the article.
    "My one memory of Morgo LM was trying to buy a car and having the salesman leave the desk to get the phone number of a cute blond.
    Needles to say -- no sale that day and never did I visit that dealership again."
    and this "In 1984 I bought a lemon from Morgo and was stuck with it. Six years later I had a brief affair with Kathy Morgo, the owners wife. Can you say payback? LOL!"

I wonder if the ceremony was for people cheering that the place was finally gone?

Now A Vacant Lot

After Zephyr's first winter in Ohio, and having to wash it everyday to remove the salt. It was time to move to a place where there was not going to be any snow. Or my lifetime better not last too long. And in 1981 I moved to Southern California.

I used it as a work vehicle for almost 20 years putting hundreds of thousands of miles on it. And having the engine rebuilt once. Always keeping up the outside, but the interior really needed new upholstery and the paint had taken a beating from the sun.

Over the years I slowly added almost every option that I could not afford back in 1978. This included air conditioning, power windows, power locks, trunk release, gauges, opera lights, rear door interior light switches, map light, sunroof, remote passenger mirror, all lights included in the lamp option, fuel door release, power antenna, power steering and power brakes. I also added all the aluminum trim that I did not buy in 1978.

After the first time it was totaled in September of 2003, I started on a complete restoration of the Zephyr. Including another rebuilt motor.
    This was a very slow process due to my injuries from the accident and lack of funds to do so.

It was almost ready for paint when it was totaled again in 2005. This meant more repairs.
    By 2007 it was ready for the Fabulous Fords Forever show at Knott's Berry Farm.

The car has a lifetime of memories in it and in me. And we still have a few more memories left to make together.

Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Very cool story!

Default the red b pillar started this

Quote Originally Posted by Dave9052 View Post
    Very cool story!
    x2
    Congrads on the 40th. Will get as many looks or more as any car out there.
    Mustang here turns 40 October 5. Pics and storys after 39y are very similar.

Thoughts:
    Very sharp looking car. Regular is of equal importance at any car show/cruise vs performance, wild, modded.
    Getting/changing the same car over many years, no matter good or bad times, is what a 'keeper' is all about.
    Insisting on the white top was a personal decision to create a special order look to be seen.
    Dealers should try to make this happen if possible, not convince one to make their job easier or more profitable.
    That dealer owners son. What a dick. Threw the keys... spoiled, arrogant. Fairly common in upper level business and govt..
    Family sold cars, willingly took wrong roads. All went into the ground prematurely.

Observations:
    WW tires balance a white top. The chrome, accents, enhance without going overboard.
    White letters would not work as well, traditionally being more for a performance look.
    That red B pillar is a side focal point that complements the white roof.
    Was curious of how the color red, not white, was the pick.

Pillars. Two tone, three tone color cars. Sedan, hardtop. Roofs. Vinyl, non vinyl, body or rare accent paint color.
    Colors, designs, mods, make or break design clues or even the whole car.
    The good old B pillar and what to do with it visually. Same with A, C.
    Interesting pillar/roof color stories from other brand car owners. Corvette, Buick Enclave, BMW, many others.
    Read color black is used to make cars look lower or make it blend in with tint windows. Nowadays, most all are black.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    That red B pillar is a side focal point that complements the white roof.
    Was curious of how the color red, not white, was the pick.
    Thanks, When I ordered the car, I did not buy the "Luxury Exterior Decor Group". There was no aluminum trim around the windows. They were red like the B pillars.
    I added that trim in the early 2000's That is when I really started adding options. Before that all I added was gauges, radio, sunroof, and opera lights.
    When repainting in 2006 I left them red. But took off the opera lights due to broken lenses.
    B pillars are red on my Buick as well, but the black door frames cover them when the doors are closed.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

I remember that dealer lol
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009