Close

Default 1985 HO valve adjustment

Hello all,
    Is there any clear explanation on how to adjust valves online ? Got a ‘85 stock 5.0 except E303 cam and can’t really find a good video or explanation on sequence. I’ve never tried this before and every video I’ve watched says something different.

I just rotate the engine over and do it one cylinder at a time.

Rotate crank until the Intake valve just closes, adjust the exhaust valve

Rotate crank until the Exhaust valve starts to open, adjust the intake valve

Hydraulic lifter, I usually go about 1/2 turn past zero lash.

But I guess stock may be pedistal style mount rockers, so not really adjustable unless u get shims or different length push rods... Then it is a whole nother procedure.
    Last edited by Mikestang; 03-21-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

You cam should have the same base circle as stock, so on pedestal, just torque the 5/16" bolt down to 25 lb/ft on each valve.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

No. See previous posts.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

... but if you mean/want to check hydraulic lifter preload and/or rocker bolt torque...

Pull the valve covers and spark plugs, rotate the crankshaft to #1 TDC compression stroke (indicated by the balancer/pointer, and the distributor rotor pointing at #1 plug wire terminal), mark the balancer or crank pulley at TDC, put another mark 180-degrees from that, and marks halfway between both those at the 90-degree spots, so you've essentially (because your balancer's TDC mark won't be straight up) got marks at 12 (TDC), 3, 6, & 9 o'clock (the cylinders fire every 90-degrees), then while still at 12 o'clock, #1 TDC compression, check #1 cylinder's (front passenger side) rockers/valves for any slack between rocker and valve stem tip, and if none, just for good measure, loosen and re-torque those two rockers bolts to their torque spec, then rotate the crankshaft clockwise 90-degrees to your 3 o'clock position and check the next cylinder in the firing order (the firing order of the camshaft, and therefore the ignition plug wire routing, is known and has been checked/verified, yes?)... continuing the same for each cylinder in the firing order, rotating the crankshaft 90-degrees between each cylinder checking/setting with your 12 & 3 & 6 & 9 o'clock marks, until all 8 cylinders have been checked/set.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Thanks, Walking-Tall. So aggravating with this project. Went to get this done last night to find out I need more shims which won't be at the house until Wednesday next week. I've wasted so much time waiting on parts. Guess that's par for everyone.

Of the 150+ I've built, I do the method mentioned above.

See previous post about zero lash on a pedestal system? SUre, you can put it on TDC if you want, but an engine that's been sitting with no oil pumping the lifters will not make any difference where it's torqued down.

But Walking Tall does know it all..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quite welcome. Why shims? More than 0.050-0.100" hydraulic lifter pre-load found? Geometry issues due to heads planed?...
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Of the 150+ I've built, I do the method mentioned above.

See previous post about zero lash on a pedestal system? SUre, you can put it on TDC if you want, but an engine that's been sitting with no oil pumping the lifters will not make any difference where it's torqued down.

But Walking Tall does know it all..
    Even bone dry hydraulic lifters still have an internal spring inside them, that will push the pushrod cup up to the snap ring or clip... so zero PRELOAD can be found/seen/felt and gone by and proceeded with to do whatever it is somebody wants to do.

I dunno wtf your problem is, man. Is it customary down there to ridicule intelligent people trying honestly to help their fellow man? I far from know it all, and am not a "know it all"... but I f*cking know what I know by paying all the dues to learn and know over most of the decades of my life so far, and I am here to help people if I can... and I keep my mouth shut in places where I don't know wtf about it. Are you here to antagonize, Sir?
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Nah, but you're "here's the way and only way" attitude is old, see post #4. 25 lb/ft of torque will override that little unload spring in the lifter.. BIG TIME. It's nothing to do with you being Canadian, it's all different face to face no matter where you're from, this internet protects all our bones and faces, fortunately for some.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Nah, but you're "here's the way and only way" attitude is old, see post #4. 25 lb/ft of torque will override that little unload spring in the lifter.. BIG TIME. It's nothing to do with you being Canadian, it's all different face to face no matter where you're from, this internet protects all our bones and faces, fortunately for some.
    If I were addressing you, my friend, I would have replied with quote of your words. I wasn't addressing you... contrary to what you might think, the world doesn't revolve around you... my post, post #4 up there, was responding to the original poster with the question... that's how this works. Yes, on the spring and torque spec. The bottom line is that non-adjustable valve train isn't adjustable, not in the traditional sense of the word as in turning screws or nuts or bolts. You're right about the face to face, and I wish it weren't that way online, but I guess it is what it is, and some have far more balls than they ever would in person. I haven't met a sane person yet face to face that was disrespectful... you might do well to try to remove that sensitive stick out from your behind.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Thanks again, WT. Only needed two shims for whatever reason but other than an exhaust leak that needs some attention, my original block rebuilt 302 runs like it did in '85.

Quote Originally Posted by dlhardin135 View Post
    Thanks again, WT. Only needed two shims for whatever reason but other than an exhaust leak that needs some attention, my original block rebuilt 302 runs like it did in '85.
    Very nice
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo