Close

Thread: Rumble exhaust

FEP Senior Member shovelhead 93's Avatar

Default Rumble exhaust

I am looking to replace my old system, has or does anyone run these from Rumble. Rumble R22541 Exhaust Muffler
    They are made by Magna Flow. How is the sound, any input would be great.
    Shovelhead 93

Looking at this cutaway picture, they look very similar to a Flowamster 40 series.

Rumble:

Flowmaster 40 series:

I would assume they sound very similar. I have heard before that Flowmaster's patent expired on the original 40 series. For $30 they might be worth a shot, but they might not be as high of quality as a Flowmaster muffler. If the quality was there, Magnaflow would probably have their name on them - but that's just my opinion. But be warned, the 40 series is known to drone pretty badly inside the car around 2000-2200 rpm in these cars with a v8. Flowmaster makes a 40 series delta flow muffler with more 90 degree baffles in the center. I have never seen anyone comment on this site about those mufflers. I wonder if those mufflers drone as bad a 2k rpm? Flowmaster says they aren't as loud as original 40s are. I have their super 40s on my Capri and I love the sound, but with shorty headers and an h pipe the drone inside the car was so bad I had to yell to carry on a conversation. I switched to long tube headers with a matching h pipe and the drone went away. I'm starting to get older, and in all honesty if my Capri was a daily driver I would probably want to put something more civil on it. It's a nice weather car I like to take out and run through the gears hard, so these suit my needs. I installed the super 40s on my car back in 2004 and one of them was slightly dented from getting caught on a trailer ramp years ago, so I have no complaints about the quality of them - though they have never been exposed to salt.

Cale

I grabbed a couple, I will try them in a bit and see what I get lol I have long tubes but I need to get a new H pipe and make a new system first. Thanks for the input. The box says roaring exterior sound strong interior vibration HA HA
    Shovelhead 93

Cool! I'd like to hear the system when it's done.

Cale

I have Super 44s on mine, which are supposed to be the less droney 40s as far as I know. They still drone. I don't know about that whole "Delta Flow" thing. I thought that was just the name of the design with the delta thingy inside the muffler. I got Super 40s for my '02 Mustang GT back in the day, and they said "Delta Flow" on them too (and droned really bad). I am also under the impression a "Super 40" is just the current 40-series. I have no idea if there more of a variety of them or not.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Will drone bad based upon muffler design. Avoid it. Dynomax or magnaflow or MAC are far more civilized. I’ve had a lot of flowmasters over the years and to me they are like a bad penny I just can’t get rid of.

An X pipe does a lot to kill drone on 40’s but the car will sound a little bit more like a ricer.

I posted a video with my 86GT running and revving on FEP Facebook today.

They sound pretty good, yes they are loud compared to my old flow pro mufflers but I am kinda diggin it. I am going to put some turn downs on and see how that goes. I haven't put any real miles on yet so time will tell. For 40 bucks each I am happy.
    Shovelhead 93

Good deal- would have never guessed it

man i recently bought that rumble muffler and holy crap the loud drone! i got no cat and the stock y pipe. anyway to cut that drone besides selling those mufflers ?

Someone on this site once mentioned that they rolled some type of wire mesh and stuck in the exhaust and ran a screw to to keep in place. Someone correct me if I gave wrong info.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk