Close

Default Ford DEALER installed A/C system - 85 GT

I just picked up an 85 GT with 34,000 miles - a super nice
    very original car that was well maintained and stored - however, it has
    Ford DEALER installed A/C - I'm told it was installed at the Ford dealer that sold the
    car sometime in 1986 - the system is fully intact and I'm told it works - It is a LOT different than the
    factory production installed A/C - it has a pancake style compressor (almost looks
    like a GM unit from that era) - see pics below

A) is anyone out there familiar with this system??

B) can the factory production style compressor be installed into the system without any other changes ??
    I'm sure I would need to make up some custom hoses to connect into the system

If anyone that has this system installed in their car, or has good knowledge of this system could chime in and share your thoughts I'd
    appreciate it!

Thanks !!

Name:  imagejpeg_2jd.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  336.9 KBName:  imagejpeg_0hh.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  58.9 KB

FEP Power Member

The compressor looks like the one used in the 2.3 engine. Yes you could go to stock but why? Where would you stop converting?
    Compressor and brackets
    Condenser
    Heater box
    Hearer ac control
    Hoses
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The compressor looks like the one used in the 2.3 engine. Yes you could go to stock but why? Where would you stop converting?
    Compressor and brackets
    Condenser
    Heater box
    Hearer ac control
    Hoses
    I agree why? It works and it is dealer installed, so it is original Sounds like a great car

Compressor and brackets
    Condenser
    Heater box
    Hearer ac control
    Hoses
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave9052 View Post
    I agree why? It works and it is dealer installed, so it is original Sounds like a great car
    Why? because it's ugly as sin !! If you guys saw the engine compartment up close and in person you would agree - this system is radically different than factory installed A/C cars - All I am wanting to do is install a factory compressor and bracket - the rest of the system will need to stay like it is from the dealer installation - if I can make a factory A/C compressor work, it will be a HUGE improvement in the "looks" department

BTW - here is the car

Name:  imagejpeg_0uu.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  Jn.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  131.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1361.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  56.0 KB

The brackets for the power steering and AC compressor are different. But yes you can switch. If the compressor manifolds will interchange that would be a good spot. If not then a factory line with adapters or a custom hose will solve it.

The AC systems are ran by pressure differences. Refrigerant spraying through an orfice.

Pressure drop generates cold. How much pressure drop is actually needed is determined by the evaporator and condenser size/ratio vs the orface vs the size of space being cooled.

Since the pressure switch is at the accumulator and it controls your AC clutch engagement the system won't know the difference one compressor to another. I would pay attention to oil types used as some are not compatible with others.

Both clutches work the same. Power engages it, no power disengages it.

So yes, plumbing is the challenge probably but you could certainly swap them. If the ford factory compressor is undersized it will always just run and run and may not cool enough. If it's too big it will go through AC clutches a little faster if you don't underdrive it. All tuneable.....

Guys with steep rear gears will often go to an underdrive pulley so the AC clutch doesn't kick on and off too frequently. Above 2000 a factory one will kick off on and off all the time.

Wow she is a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    The brackets for the power steering and AC compressor are different. But yes you can switch. If the compressor manifolds will interchange that would be a good spot. If not then a factory line with adapters or a custom hose will solve it.

The AC systems are ran by pressure differences. Refrigerant spraying through an orfice.

Pressure drop generates cold. How much pressure drop is actually needed is determined by the evaporator and condenser size/ratio vs the orface vs the size of space being cooled.

Since the pressure switch is at the accumulator and it controls your AC clutch engagement the system won't know the difference one compressor to another. I would pay attention to oil types used as some are not compatible with others.

Both clutches work the same. Power engages it, no power disengages it.

So yes, plumbing is the challenge probably but you could certainly swap them. If the ford factory compressor is undersized it will always just run and run and may not cool enough. If it's too big it will go through AC clutches a little faster if you don't underdrive it. All tuneable.....

Guys with steep rear gears will often go to an underdrive pulley so the AC clutch doesn't kick on and off too frequently. Above 2000 a factory one will kick off on and off all the time.
    Funny you should bring up rear end gears - the dealer also installed an 8.8 rear end with 3.55 gears - I was told that was done many years ago by the Ford dealer as well - I am going to start looking for the proper brackets needed for the factory A/C compressor - I think an under drive pulley is a good idea - I may be installing new aluminum heads, cam and intake along with an FI Tech system so it will be a fun project - I am also considering the Concept one front runner system which includes a new A/C compressor - its all still in the planning stages - thanks for the info !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave9052 View Post
    Wow she is a beauty!
    Thanks !!

FEP Power Member

So you will need the 2 brackets and the metric bolts, ac compressor an power plug, condenser and mounting hardware, relocate the dryer and 3 custom hoses designed for r134 Freon. And a new belt, maybe idler pulley. There is also a aluminum bracket behind the power steering pump.

Keep in mind the 85 factory stuff is slightly different, hoses mostly.

I have the parts removed from my car for cleaning. I can get pictures if needed.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

So you will need the 2 brackets and the metric bolts, ac compressor an power plug, condenser and mounting hardware, relocate the dryer and 3 custom hoses designed for r134 Freon. And a new belt, maybe idler pulley. There is also a aluminum bracket behind the power steering pump.

Keep in mind the 85 factory stuff is slightly different, hoses mostly.

I have the parts removed from my car for cleaning. I can get pictures if needed.
    If you can get some pics that would be awesome! Thanks !!

I may just end up going with this - which would solve my A/C compressor issues

https://www.c1pulleys.com/collection...power-steering

That is a lot to spend on an old Mustang! Don't get me wrong, I have way more in my Saleen build. It's still a lot.

If it works leave it. It looks like it's already been converted to R134.

Looks like a very professional install. I wouldn't touch it. I had a GT350 with dealer air in it and I loved it. Best of both worlds. I could still change the heater core in 10 minutes AND I had cold AC. That only adds to the story and makes the car unique. It does look like a later '80s Thunderbird/V6/ compressor.