Close

Default '86 LX Convertible Front End Collision Damage. Asking For Advice!

First of all, I am new to this site so forgive me for such long post. I hope this is the right location to post this. My name is Brandon and I live in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. I am the proud owner of an 86’ 5.0 LX Convertible. I just moved to the area and this forum was recommended to me by my neighbor and fellow Fox Body owner.

Attached are a few pictures of my car. The color is Shadow Blue with white leather interior. The car has 70k original miles.

If you ask me, the car has a pretty unique back-story. I have owned the vehicle since 2012. I bought the vehicle in the country of Bahrain, a small island country in the Arabian Gulf off of the coast of Saudi Arabia and Iraq, which is where I was serving on Active Duty in the U.S. Navy at the time. When I purchased the vehicle, the seller had informed me that he recently had the car imported into the country from Japan, where it had apparently been garaged for about a decade or so. I’m assuming it was originally taken to Japan by another U.S. Service Member, given the number of bases located there. This story was validated with import paperwork as well as while redoing the interior a couple of years later, I found a good amount of Japanese currency that had worked its way underneath the original carpet.

When I left Bahrain in 2013, I had the car placed on a cargo ship to Baltimore, where I picked it up in when I got back. While redoing the interior of the car in 2014, I found the original build sheet to the car, intact, underneath the carpet. This led to the discovery that the seats had, at some point, been reupholstered in black, so I changed them back to the factory white. I took this opportunity to repaint every piece of plastic and vinyl inside the car, replace the carpet, reupholster the seats, replace the door panels, sun visors, as well as a bunch of the old weather-stripping.

Since finishing the interior in 2014, the car has only been driven for the occasional weekend cruise. That is until around October of 2017 when I sold my primary daily driver vehicle to help fund my wedding. At that point, I shared a vehicle with my wife as long as I could, but eventually, I had no choice but to use the car as a temporary daily driver.

Fast forward to yesterday, Wednesday, March 14, 2018. I am saddened and heartbroken to say that I was involved in an unavoidable collision while driving the vehicle on a busy highway. Luckily, I and everyone involved were completely uninjured but I cannot say the same for my Fox Body. A tractor-trailer changed lanes and cut off the vehicle in front of me, nearly crushing them between the trailer and a barrier wall. To avoid being crushed, the car in front of me slammed on their brakes, forcing me to do the same. Unfortunately, I could not change lanes due to traffic and could not stop as quickly as the car in front of me. The wheels locked up and I slid right into the rear end of the car in front of me. The damage seems relatively minor, but I am currently working with my insurance company who said the car will likely be a “total loss”. The visible damage is to the Front Bumper, Hood, and Driver’s-side Headlight. However, I was not able to open the hood to check for any damage to the radiator or other engine parts. Currently, the car is off the road and at a local body shop awaiting the appraisal and cost estimate from my insurance adjuster.

What I am wondering is this:
    What is the groups taking on what it would require to keep this car on the road?

This car has a lot of sentimental value to me and I would like to do everything I can (within reason) to keep it on the road. The body shop has already informed me that finding parts is going to be extremely difficult. I figured as much with the car being 32 years old, but I want to make every attempt to utilize my network of fellow Fox Body enthusiasts to see what, if any, used parts are available to keep this Fox alive.

pre-collision photos...
    Name:  IMG_5927.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  70.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_6906.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  89.0 KB

after the collision...
    Name:  MVIMG_20180314_140138.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  129.9 KB
    Name:  MVIMG_20180314_140145.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  109.6 KB
    Name:  MVIMG_20180314_140209.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  106.5 KB

Welcome to the group, and thank you for your service! That is a shame about you car, she sure is beautiful. Looking at the photos, it would appear that you might just need a hood, bumper cover, lights, and maybe a hood latch. Were you able to get the hood open to see if there was any damage to the top of the core support, radiator, or hood latch?

Also, check along the frame rails in the engine bay and check for any damage. After you have the hood and bumper cover removed, it might not hurt to have it put on a frame table to make sure it is still square and true before you start installing your replacement parts. I had a similar fender bender a few years back in my '85. It was a little harder hit than yours, and found out my front sub frame was out of square by about 3/8 of an inch. It made it hard to gap my hood and fenders. I had it adjusted on a frame table for less than $150, and everything went back together much better.

Once you know what all needs replaced, be sure to check out the classifieds on here. There are still a lot of good parts out there for our cars, and I have had very good luck finding the parts I have needed from within this group.

Best of luck, and do not be afraid to ask questions! There is a wealth of knowledge in this group and many helpful members, so use it to your advantage!
    Last edited by dwbarnes; 03-15-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Thank you dwbarnes, I appreciate the feedback and for sharing your experiences in a similar situation. I was not able to open the hood to take a look underneath. So I am unsure of the condition of the hood latch, core support, or radiator. The car is at an auto body shop now awaiting an estimate. Hopefully, I will know more in the coming days.

I'll be sure to have them take a look at the frame rails for me and ask about a frame table if necessary. I will most certainly keep my eyes on the classifieds section for some possible leads.

If anyone has any leads on available parts, please feel free to share.

That looks like it could be fixed. Hope they don’t try to total it. I really like the color and interior combo. Very unique probably quite rare. I noticed your car has some sort of folding mirrors. Are those factory? The car may have been exported new rather than being brought over to japan by a soldier. I could be wrong though. This is just an observation/ guess. I’ve never seen those mirrors on a US car.

also if you post your door tag you can tell if it was an export DSO
    Last edited by Lowetlx; 03-15-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    84 LX Vert. 5.0 5speed canyon red on white
    99 cobra, electric green on medium parchment, vortech s-trim

BKelly,

Welcome to FEP! Thank you for your service and sorry to hear about your 86.

In my opinion from what I can see, the car looks to be a relatively easy repair. Can see the front frame rails, so there could be more work as mentioned above. I would be surprised if there is frame damage as it appears all of your impact was high on the car and only affected the front bumper cover and hood. Can't tell for sure, but the fenders don't appear to be damaged, if that is the case, again I would be really shocked to see frame damage.

Now I will have to warn you that unfortunately the insurance company is most likely going to want to total the vehicle due to the age and the current damage. You don't have to allow that. Depending on your state and local laws, you can refuse to allow the insurance to claim the car as a total loss. Every state and insurance company has different rules and procedures, so study up on that and be prepared. The simple version of how this will go is the insurance company will "Total" the car due to the repair costs being more than the car is worth or close the current value of the car. You will have to counter and then negotiate from there. If there is no frame or structural damage then most states don't require the car to be listed as salvage or repaired salvage, but again check your state. Ultimately you should be able to negotiate a settlement that allows the insurance company to pay you the repair costs minus any "salvage value" of the vehicle. Then you can have the body shop of your choice make the repairs. Members from your state maybe able to provide better information and details for this whole process.

As for the actual repairs, the hood is not reproduced so if you want original, then you will need to find a good used hood. The 83-86 Mustang hoods are interchangeable, so you have a few year models to look for one. If you don't mind a fiberglass hood (cowl, etc.) then there are good aftermarket options available too.

The LX front bumper cover is not available new or reproduced at this time, but the GT front bumper cover is if you can't find any other options. A good used one is your best bet for staying stock, although your front cover might be repairable by the body shop or a vendor such as Keystone Automotive, so do some research and verify your options. If you need fenders then 79-90 Mustang fenders will work. They are available reproduced, but again good used ones can often be found in good shape. I am sure there are other parts you will need, but that's a quick guide until you know what the full extent the damage is. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKelly View Post
    The body shop has already informed me that finding parts is going to be extremely difficult. I figured as much with the car being 32 years old, but I want to make every attempt to utilize my network of fellow Fox Body enthusiasts to see what, if any, used parts are available to keep this Fox alive.
    I am no body man, and as other have noted it is hard to evaluate without seeing it in person, but that does not look bad at all. Your body man saying finding parts will be "extremely difficult" makes him sound either lazy, disinterested, or both. Relative to the 2018 Camry in the other bay he is working on I would agree, but it's not like you just mashed up a '53 Packard. There are parts for these cars out there. You may be better served to find somebody that actually wants to do the work. Either way, you should probably be prepared to do some leg work rounding up quality replacement parts as needed.

It would be a shame on a few different levels to see this car totaled out from what appears to be a minor fender bender.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

FEP Power Member

You may want to seek out a mustang restoration shop in your area. I think there is one called Fred Glaziers in your area. They would at least give you the worst case pricing on repairs. The GT bumper cover is an excellent idea as they are only slightly different. You would need a fog light bar for that. You might also hold out for the Carlisle Ford National Show in June as the swap meet is excellent place to shop for parts.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Senior Member

American Muscle and CJ Pony Parts are in his backyard practically being in Pennsylvania. If you're on Facebook, there are a large number of Foxbody groups that always have parts available. A couple pictures of what you need, there are probably a handful of guys in Lancaster right now.