Close

Default 86 GT trim paint ?

doing some touch up work in the future on my 86 GT, is this the correct paint for the trim and bumpers?
    SEM TRIM EXTERIOR PAINT 39143

39153 is a better match on an 86.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...an-Paint-Guide
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

What about the paint code for the embossed "GT" on the trim between the door and rear wheel? Also what is the best way to strip old paint and primer from the trim so I can restore it to the correct colors? I picked up a set the other day, but someone had painted them the same color as the car.

Oh yes - the old paint it body color bs was (and still is unfortunately)all the rage.

Personally I think the trim has to be done in the correct factory color (or at least a less glossy black) or it just ruins the side view of an 85-86 four eyed fox. And painting over the GT lettering is about like painting over any other famous work of art.

Personally I’ve owned my 1986GT for 25 years and through multiple paintjobs and body repairs the factory trim was kept correct each time.

For me do as you wish around the windows and sail panels. The stock charcoal paint turns to dust in just a few years so it it’s outside and you want it to look good long term a change to something else there is understandable. With my car being black, I just had everything done in base/clear when I had the rest of the car painted. It held up exceptionally well considering it was always outside and all the miles traveled. I’d do it all over again the same way. Except maybe this time buy a beater to drive those slick and crappy winter days. I’d love to have my car back with only 200K miles on the clock. It was SO much nicer than it is now.
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-15-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Thank you...!

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Saleen View Post

You may have to carefully sand the old paint off the trim. I'm sure though there are paint strippers out there that will not harm plastic but do some research before buying the first product you find. Not all automotive plastics and vinyls are the same.

it's for the plastic molding so light sanding followed by light coat of Evercoat Poly-Flex to fill small imperfections and the paint...

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    You may have to carefully sand the old paint off the trim. I'm sure though there are paint strippers out there that will not harm plastic but do some research before buying the first product you find. Not all automotive plastics and vinyls are the same.