Close

Default re-center the internal of a rack and pinion

hello all
    just installed a new rack
    took it over to be aligned and they are telling me that they can't adjust the one outer tie rod any more?
    I am wondering if the internal rack is off center
    can you let me now how to test and re-center it?
    thank you for all your help
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

Checking that the rack is centered first is important. This was done on my car years ago, installed about 1/4 turn off center, with the driver's side outer tie rod end threaded all the way on... and I haven't addressed it yet, but will be sometime when other things are getting done...

Center the steering wheel, undo the steering column's spline collar from the rack's input stem again, undo the outer tie rod ends, find out the rack's full travel left to right, count the turns, put it at it's middle position, half the amount of the previously counted turns from left/right, readjust outer tie rod ends to slip back into spindles with wheels pointed straight ahead...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 03-14-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

That's Front Suspension 101. I don't know that I'd trust a shop that couldn't figure that out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Checking that the rack is centered first is important. This was done on my car years ago, installed about 1/4 turn off center, and I haven't addressed it yet, but will be sometime when other things are getting done...

Center the steering wheel, undo the outer tie rod ends, find out the rack's full travel left to right, count the turns, put it at it's middle position, half the amount of the previously counted turns from left/right, readjust outer tie rod ends to slip back into spindles with wheels pointed straight ahead...
    Thank you walking-tall
    I will do that Friday .... I have never ran into this much issues before....
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    That's Front Suspension 101. I don't know that I'd trust a shop that couldn't figure that out.

Mike
    They wanted to charge me for a new tie rod and installation told them no....lucky I bought the lifetime alignment...I used them years ago for my other mustang but different mechanics now
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)

Center the rack by turning fully to one side, then count the turns to fully to the other side. Return exactly half way and your at center. The wheel on the older models with the splined hub can be removed and reset to center to match the rack. With the wheel and rack at center the tie rods are then adjusted to set each tire straight ahead then toed in equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
    Thank you walking-tall
    I will do that Friday .... I have never ran into this much issues before....
    I shoulda also said...
    Center the steering wheel, undo the steering column's spline collar from the rack's input stem again, undo the outer tie rod ends, find out the rack's full travel left to right, count the turns, put it at it's middle position, half the amount of the previously counted turns from left/right, readjust outer tie rod ends to slip back into spindles with wheels pointed straight ahead... don't move anything, see that the steering wheel is still in the straight ahead position, then reattach the steering column's spline collar to the rack's input stem...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 03-14-2018 at 10:50 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/