Close

FEP Power Member

Default Door striker issue

Ok, so the door striker bushing broke after 30 plus years. It was the passenger side so I tried wrapping some electrical tape around the post to keep it from rattling while,e driving. I ordered some replacements but waiting on their arrival. The new strikers can in today and with some rainy weather coming in, i figured I should get it installed ASAP. I did my usual and marked to position of the old one with masking tape and installeD the new one in the same spot. It still did not close tightly so I moved the striker post out a bit. This time it closed but pulled in too tight. Now I can’t the latch to release. Any suggestions? I really did not slam it closed too hard.

I figure sitting closed and compressed can’t hurt it any until I figure something out.
    Last edited by KevinK; 03-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Roll down the window and simultaneously lift/pull both door handles. You can generate more power combined than either will take individually before breaking.

You could even slip into the passenger seat and pull the handle, push the door while someone outside lifts/pulls the handle.

Sounds like your striker is off vertically.

Kenny
    Last edited by mudgepondexpress; 03-14-2018 at 10:46 AM.

FEP Power Member

I tried pretty much all of that but I think that is the route to go. The striker is not high as the door is aligned. I believe it’s too tight to release the latch.

FEP Member

FWIW when I got my Fairmont the strikers were missing the plastic wrap so the doors rattled. I was able to buy them at a local Autozone right off the shelf. I had to add more washers behind them though because they were a tiny bit shorter. They looked the right depth, but would have bound the door if I didn't add the washers. When you do get your door open you may find that is the cause for binding if alignment isn't that far off.

Try to push the door in more while lifting on the door handle to release it.

FEP Power Member

I tried pushing and pulling but maybe it requires 2 people. I did reuse the washers but I did not size up the old verses new one. I guess I should do that and also measure the bushing diameter.

I’m hoping keeping it compressed will allow it to compress more if it’s in too far or maybe we will get some warm days. Good thing it’s the passenger door.

I was really surprised it did not work perfectly when I installed the new one in the same exact spot. It has worked for me before.