Close

Question Anyone ever replace a power steering pump's Shaft Seal?

Hello all. I have a leak somewhere so I removed the pump and ordered a new seal and plastic housing. After removing the pulley, I see that there's also a shaft seal that I might as well replace at the same time. I haven't tried yet, but does anyone know the proper way to remove and replace it? Any special tools needed?

As far as I know, the pump works great - just a leak from somewhere (of which I'm not even sure is the pump)

Thanks all,
    Howard

FEP Senior Member

Did you get a complete rebuild kit or just an individual seal? The shaft seal should come with a complete rebuild kit. I rebuilt the pump in my Crown Vic a couple of years ago and it really isn't that hard. There are a bunch of write-ups and how-tos online. Here is one with pictures showing how to disassemble the pump (I am assuming you have the CII pump).

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ebuild-c2.html

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/512865_1

There might be others with more/better instructions. The factory service manual also has a very good walk through on the pump disassembly.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Thanks for the reply KevinVarnes. Originally I only purchased a new plastic reservoir and the o-ring that it seals against. Once I realized that there's also a shaft seal, I figured that I might as well do the whole job since it's a pain to remove everything to get to the shaft seal at a later time. So, one more trip to the parts store to get a full o-ring (and shaft seal) rebuild kit.

Thanks a lot for the links on the write-ups - they were very helpful. Right now I have it all disassembled and I'm just deciding if I should also replace the shaft bushing that came in my kit. I'm leaning towards NOT replacing it because the oem bushing looks to be in fine shape and the shaft doesn't have any play. Also, the bushing in the kit is a split tube version and the oem version is a true tube. Decisions, decisions.

Keep the OE!