Close

Default Koni Red Adjustable Strut Question

Hello FEP. I have been a long time Corral member. Probably should have spent more time here as I own a 86 vert. So I'm finally getting around to upgrading my front suspension and brakes. I purchased these Konis 10 years ago from a high end Mustang restoration shop and they have been in my garage awaiting install. My question is are these the struts that were on the Saleen? I would hate to install them on my 86 GT Vert if there was someone out there that needed them for a restoration. My plan was to install them with MM front springs. Thoughts? Brakes are going to 87 as I want to keep my 4 lug set up now. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Those are great struts as long as they are not leaking. I had a set on my 85 that I pulled out of a junkyard. After a year or two one was leaking and needed replacing. These older struts do not accept coil over kits without grinding the cartridge assembly flange to the same diameter as the strut body. The newer struts are made a little differently but the valving is the same.

Get the matching set of rear shocks and you will be surprised hoe nice they are vs the stock struts/shocks.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Zap's 85 GT View Post
    Those are great struts as long as they are not leaking. I had a set on my 85 that I pulled out of a junkyard. After a year or two one was leaking and needed replacing. These older struts do not accept coil over kits without grinding the cartridge assembly flange to the same diameter as the strut body. The newer struts are made a little differently but the valving is the same.

Get the matching set of rear shocks and you will be surprised hoe nice they are vs the stock struts/shocks.
    Thanks for the response. Good to know. If I use them with the 87-93 spindles I will need to fabricate shims I imagine. Since I plan on buy new front springs should I convert these to coil overs? I planned on installing CC plates at the same time

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If its any help. I have a set of those on my 84 with 87-93 spindles/brakes. They just needed the spacer shim. I don't know how old mine are as they were on the car when I bought it 4 years ago. I was told they don't make them for pre 87 foxes anymore..except SVOs. So far no leaking.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

those look like SVO stuts.

I believe the part number on those is correct for the 79-86 cars and is not obsolete. I can't guarantee that, but I believe that information is correct.

As long as the portion of the strut housing below the mounting flange is @ 1.5" they are correct for the NON SVO suspension. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I believe the part number on those is correct for the 79-86 cars and is not obsolete. I can't guarantee that, but I believe that information is correct.

As long as the portion of the strut housing below the mounting flange is @ 1.5" they are correct for the NON SVO suspension. Good Luck!
    Thanks I always wondered how to tell the difference between the SVO struts.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

I'll bet you're right now that I'm looking at them again. Funny part is that I own a pair. Lol.