Close

Default 01 Crown Victoria Basket Weave Mesh wheels on 83 Capri

I'm considering converting to 5 lugs on my 1983 Capri. It already has an 8.8 from an 92 Fox 5.0. I currently have 4 lugs and mesh Wheels and love the look. My issue is with the stopping capabilities. I got a set of Fox spindles from an 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and I have an 8.8 out of the same car to get 4-wheel disc brakes.

Meanwhile I also have a 96 sn95 rust bucket which I am about to take to the crusher(needed a T5 for parts for our 85 GT).

As I was thinking about the purposes for the Capri I have decided that I might like to do some autocross racing again like I did when I was 18 and 19 years old. To do that I would really like to run 16 or 17 inch wheels, most preferably in a mesh look. Turbo coupes had good brakes for 1988 standards but if I can I'd like more!

If its possible, my question is this, what parts do I need for a arms, spindles, struts, rear axle shafts in order to do a 5 lug conversion and run the deeper dish 16 inch Crown Victoria basketweave mesh wheels on my Capri?

My preference is to do it all with Factory Ford parts because they tend to be readily available in junk yards.

I searched both four eyed pride and the internet at Large and it seems some people have cleaned this cannot be a combination run on a fox however I don't see what would prevent it. Hoping one of you either has done this or has tried and failed and would be willing to share with me your experience.

For correct function you should pick between SN95 and fox parts.

There are threads on 5 lug conversion and threads on 4 lug brake upgrades here.

I have an SN95 converted 86GT and a 1985GT Saleen clone that's being all redone using 4 lug.

First thing I can tell you on 4 lug is expect less brake power and more cost. I have less than 1/2 the money in my 86 vs my 85. I haven't driven the 85 yet as we are still building it but the 86 stops like no other vehicle I've ever driven.

MM sells a brake upgrade kit for disc/drum 87-93 11" front brake V8 cars. Upgraded lines, hawk pads primarily. . They stop a fox in 114 feet from 60.

for referenxe purposes four wheel disc setups in 93 Cobra stopped in 148, SVO in 155. The Cobra R was built with 5 lug SN95 conversion from the factory and completely stomped those posers. I can't find the data right now, but night/day different.

keep in mind the CobraR had 800lb springs in front that helped with brake dive and stock cobra/GT swaybar and stock V8 car springs and stock V8 swaybar in back. Vs 93 cobra had stock V8 springs in front, smaller swaybar in front, 4 cyl LX springs in back, stock swaybar in back.

Anyway - you have some common parts for either route that I recommend

LMR stock proportioning valve plug
    Adjustable proportioning valve

lots of debate on what works out there but I prefer
    stock booster

Some guys like the 15/16" sn95 master cyl with 4 lug parts and 5
    i prefer M1858 1" bore master cyl on 5 lug. Tbd on 4

4 lug parts
    87-93 11" front rotor capable spindles with 91+ow friction Teflon balljoints or SN95 (low friction)
    or
    82-83 Continental/84-86 SVO spindle with SVO to to sn95 balljoints adapters and sn95 balljoints or fox low friction
    87-93 LX/GT stoptech slotted rotors
    hawk HPS pads
    60mm LX/GT steel piston calipers
    Tbird/cobra rear brakes and bird/cobra to fox adapter plates
    tbird/cobra 38mm calipers. Northern Machine sells the parts
    hawk HPS pads
    stock front control arms
    stock front sway bar
    stock V8 springs in front
    lx 4cyl springs in rear
    no rear sway bar
    mm rear lower control arms, mm reproduction FMS uppers
    Caster/camber plates

truth be told, my Saleen build has full Saleen racecraft suspension. I will see how I like the shocks, struts, and springs once I drive it

5 lug parts
    94-95 spindles with stock k member and X2 balljoints or SN95 to fox bumpsteer kit
    or
    96-98 spindles and aftermarket K member and SN95 balljoints and sn95 to fox bumpsteer kit
    11" Baer drilled/slotted rotors and 99-04 GT dual piston calipers
    or
    13" 04 cobra brackets and and calipers and rotors
    Hawk pads
    passenger side brake like adapter
    1994-1995 SN95 rear brakes, and lines
    Fox width SN95 flange axles
    SN95 to fox rear brake adapter plates
    stock front control arms
    stock V8 springs in front
    lx 4cyl springs in rear
    no rear swaybar

mm rear lower control arms, mm FMS reproduction uppers
    Caster/camber plates
    camber bolts

If you are nervous about my swaybar suggestion (not sure why anyone woulf be - try it) an upgrade is to get the MM front swaybar replacement and their rear sway kit.

on my 1986 with SN95 brakes I run 245/45/17's on it. Braking is great.

I run X2's and caster/camber plates with my SN95 setup. I need to remove 1/4 - 1/2 coil for a level car, right now I have 140 lbs in rear instead. It's 1.5" lower than stock due to parts combo even though the springs are stock. Shocks and struts are stocks. It rides like a 93 cobra and handles better than the one I've driven (by a lot). Overall it's a pretty awesome inexpensive setup as far as I'm concerned.

I will go to 255/40 17's when I get my next set of tires.
    Last edited by erratic50; 03-03-2018 at 03:15 PM.

My '85 still has 15" four-lug wheels, it's disc/drum AND it has excellent brakes, so it can be done. The secret
    sauce for most brake upgrades is in the pads. Without those, you can spend a lot of money for not much benefit.

My setup is pretty basic. 11" front brake conversion, 10" rear drum conversion, Porterfield R4S on all 4 corners.
    Stock booster and master, stock proportioning valve. The only car I own that has better brakes is the '04 Mach
    (which currently has Hawk HPS pads). Mainly 'cause I love the feel of the hydroboost. Pretty sure the '85 stops
    quicker, though with repeated stops the brakes will fade sooner.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

SN-95 stuff on my Fairmont with Lincoln LSC mesh wheels. I had to heavily roll the inner fender lips. I think that I've read that the Crown Vic wheels have a greater offset.

Attachment 119307

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    My '85 still has 15" four-lug wheels, it's disc/drum AND it has excellent brakes, so it can be done. The secret
    sauce for most brake upgrades is in the pads. Without those, you can spend a lot of money for not much benefit.

My setup is pretty basic. 11" front brake conversion, 10" rear drum conversion, Porterfield R4S on all 4 corners.
    Stock booster and master, stock proportioning valve. The only car I own that has better brakes is the '04 Mach
    (which currently has Hawk HPS pads). Mainly 'cause I love the feel of the hydroboost. Pretty sure the '85 stops
    quicker, though with repeated stops the brakes will fade sooner.
    What rotors are you using?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    SN-95 stuff on my Fairmont with Lincoln LSC mesh wheels. I had to heavily roll the inner fender lips. I think that I've read that the Crown Vic wheels have a greater offset.

Attachment 119307

Mike
    Wow! That's a good looking Fairmont!
    Current

1980 Mustang Coupe 302-AOD
    1986 Mark VII

Past

1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0
    1980 Mustang Coupe 2.3-Auto

There is a member on here that has a white Capri RS with gold Crown Vic rims like the ones you're looking at. But I forgot what the members name is. This is the car; Name:  20180315_121958.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  89.7 KB
    Last edited by 9DBlackMagic; 03-15-2018 at 02:21 PM.
    ~LES~
    157 HP @ 4200 RPM
    240 ft/lb @ 2400 RPM

"Yeah Baby Feel That Pure Power"
    Capri:
    Is a Mustang With Hips And Class

I had a pair of the mesh pre-03 16" Crown Vic wheels on the back of my stock track width Capri with 255 drag radials. The tires were in my quarters. You are probably not going to be able to run more than a 225 wide tire on them, but I still own them and I can measure the backspacing if you'd like. I ended up mounting the tires on sn95 waffles.

Cale

According to the link below, the wheels in question have a 7" width with a 6mm offset. That is a 4.24" back spacing and a 3.76" stickout. A standard 7" wide 1985-93 Mustang wheel has a 3.12" stickout.

With rolled rear fender lips, these wheels will probably fit. In the front, you will have to align the car with enough negative camber for them to fit.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=1061930
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support