Close

Default Correct trim paint code for 1986 GT

Was wondering if anyone knows what the correct paint code is for the charcoal trim on an '86 GT? Looking to repaint my door trim, window molding trim, and sail panels and have it be somewhat factory correct. What is the best paint manufacturer to purchase this paint from to spray in a HVLP gun?

Thanks!

- Mark
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

EDIT: IGNORE THIS THREAD....the BIGA PAINT CODES ARE NOT DITZLER CODES! I HAVE NO WAY OF CROSS REFERENCING THEM!

Good question....I asked the same thing and got no reply but my research turned up the following:

5889-H = Dark Charcoal - Vinyl Roof Retainers, Window Mouldings, Pillars. This is listed for Ford and Mercury and has a Big A paint code Formula of 33876. It is ALSO listed a second time for Lower Band, Pillar, Mirrors, Windshields, Backlight Moulding and is for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Truck

Here is a link to the BigA Paint page that had it (85 and 86 were the same):
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...lorchips12.jpg

Here is a link to all my docs. Has the paint chip pages and Mercury color book:
    http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Literature/

-Mike

Thanks Mike!
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Does 8LP sound like the correct (actual) paint code?
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Or better yet L8P?
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Somebody mentioned that "L8P" but I can't find out what that L8P refers to. I called Ford and they were no help.

Where did you see it?

I am also getting my car painted and need to get my trim done. I was going to use the paint codes I dug up.

-Mike

Heard the L8P in the Late Model Restoration Supply catalog...
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

I don't think its for auto paint like PPG or Sikkens or whatever. Late Model Resto makes up their own part numbers instead of using the Ford one, so I would think that that "code" is made up too. I went to the current catalog (on page 49) and the exterior paint is "met-ext-01". I wouldn't doubt that the "met" really refers to "Metro Mustang" who make a ton of Mustang paint:
    http://www.metromustang.com/Paint/mafhome.html
    They are also mentioned in all the "how-to articles" in Mustang Monthly it seems.

They have an exterior Grey:
    84-85 Gray Trim ST / SVO Exterior Trim F B01

But I don't know what "ST" means, I think its a typo and they mean "GT".

That stuff probably works fine. I was looking for the auto paint code for my autobody man. He won't use a "spray can" :-)

-Mike

Do you think it would be safe to order the SVO gray in a quart to spray in a HVLP type spray gun?
    Mark

'88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

I have no idea. I would talk/email metro mustang and ask them, they are very knowledgable....but I would think so. You may have to thin it out. I've seen guys even put adhesive in their spray guns for headliner repair. But I'm not a paint guy so I really have not much of a clue.

You should also be able to take the dark charcoal paint code (33876) to your local body shop and get them to mix you a quart of ppg. I gave my paint guy that number and I guess he can use it. He hasn't gotten down to painting my car yet, but he hasn't said that it didn't look right.

Sorry if I can't be more specific, but I have limited knowledge of this stuff.

-Mike