Close

Default 255/40/17 on Ford Cobra Rs

Hi guys. I have an opportunity to buy a Fox body 8.8 with posi rear and a 5 lug conversion with Blue Oval control arms, SN95 front discs and spindles and 17x9 OEM Cobra Rs with good rubber at a real good price. All things considered I want to swap these over to my otherwise stock 86. From what I have read I will most likely have to remove or flip the quad shocks but with the aftermarket control arms that shouldn't be an issue either way. I will also have to add a spacer to the spindle but again no big deal. Before I get too nuts do you think I will have to do any other modifications? It seems like maybe the fronts will rub on the inboard side at full lock to lock. Thanks.

If I understand, you want to put 255/40/17 tires that are mounted on 17x9 Cobra R rims on Front tires of a Stock '86 Stang, correct?

First of all, tire sizes are like dress sizes. Woman will buy a FUGLY dress that is 2+ sizes smaller than their real size, just so they can say they fit into a size 0 dress.
    Well, I can mount 500/01/17 Ricer tires on the front of my Stang, and they will fit better than stock.

Other the other hand, assuming that you're talking about real first quailty tires, imho, no way.

Then again, remember the FORD JOB 1 QUALITY CONTROL FITMENT on Fox Stangs -
    "If the fit is fine to a blind man that is standing 1,000 feet away, then ship it!"

Also, there's a good deal of manufacturing tolerances also in a Fox Stang.
    So, maybe "JoeBob" said he fit it on his stock 4-eye. But, for the ~99.9999% of the other 4-eyes out there - no way.

My 245/45/17 Bridgestone RE-series tires squeak by with spacers and MM CC plates adjusted to the max.
    http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Mach1_springs/

While, my Blizzak snows 245/45/17 tires do rub near full turn.
    So again, the exact tire profile also makes a difference.

Some people widen the hole up top on the k-frame, to allow for more offset.
    And, if you push the bottom of the fender out a little, you get even more room.

I choose to keep some things stock on my car.
    I take pride in the huge gap in the hood of my car - direct from the factory. :-) So, at least for now, every part of my front fenders are staying stock.

Last edited by stangPlus2Birds; 03-11-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks for your reply. I am guessing that is what I am running into is that everyones car is a little different from a manufacturing tolerance standpoint to begin with then there are so many other combinations out there. The tires are Kumho ECSTA Supra I think it says and they are in nice shape. The guy is ASKING $600 for everything I mentioned and its in good shape so it's kind of a no brainer. Even if I can't get them to work without rolling fenders and other stuff I don't want to do I am sure I can sell the wheels and tires and make out pretty well and still have the rear, front spindles, brakes and control arms almost for free.

Imho, you could always keep the 3rd and 4th tires as spares for the rear.

Then, get the Cobra D178 rims (or equivalent) for the front, and decide if you want the "fun" of fitting 245/45/17 tires on the front.
    Imho, if you have CC plates, then playing with spacers "should" get you there.

Oh yea, you'll also need steering rack limiters.
    I, and many other people, keep forgetting to mention that. The Stang isn't a long/large car. So, reducing the turning radius a little, imho, isn't a big deal.
    Also, the number of steering rack limiters that a person uses can also be why some people get bigger tires on their car.
    I went with what was often suggested on the Corral. That was way back in the late 90's. So, I don't recall how many I used.

Fyi, FRPP D178 rim specs:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-1007-d178

Brand: Ford Performance Parts
    Manufacturer's Part Number: M-1007-D178
    Part Type: Wheels
    Product Line: Ford Performance Parts Silver 1998 SVT Mustang Cobra Wheels
    Summit Racing Part Number: FMS-M-1007-D178
    UPC: 75612217669
    Wheel Diameter: 17 in.
    Wheel Width (in): 8.000 in.
    Backspacing (in): 5.720 in.
    Offset: +32.00mm
    Wheel Material: Aluminum
    TPMS Sensor Compatible: No
    Primary Wheel Color: Silver
    Wheel Finish: Gloss
    Manufacturers Wheel Series: Ford Racing 1998 SVT Mustang Cobra Series
    Wheel Construction: 1-piece
    Beadlock Included: No
    Beadlock Functional: No
    Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat - 60 degree
    Center Bore Diameter (in): 2.780 in.
    Center Cap Included: Yes
    Valve Stems Included: No
    Recommended Valve Stem: 7/16 in. pull-through
    Quantity: Sold individually.
    Wheel Bolt Pattern (app): 5 x 4 1/2 in.
    Application Notes: Fits 1994-2004 Mustang.

Good Luck!

Here are the wheels and tires. I guess I could change the size of the fronts if I had issues like you said. I am guessing they make these wheels in a chrome reproduction. Name:  DB01EA54-FFF1-473B-8224-2E6665E3F4D4.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  97.1 KBName:  DAA64E02-A32C-4BE0-AAE9-F9D79411BABB.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  110.9 KBName:  166A9156-5D8F-450A-8D59-8B7FF072626B.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  149.0 KB

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Those are old tires - the ECSTA Supra hasn't been produced in years. I'd check the date codes on them (it's the 4-digit number in the oval right by the 'E' in ECSTA), and look them over really well to check for signs of dry-rotting and/or cracking. It's kind of a moot point, as they look they're just about to the wear bars, anyway, so they're about due for replacement already.

I wouldn't be too concerned about 255/40s on the front of a Fox, it's been done before. They're slightly wider than 245/45s, of course, but they're also a bit smaller diameter, so that gives a little extra clearance to the fender lip and front edge of the wheel well.

The D178 wheel has a completely different shape than the wheels you're looking at (which appear to be M-1007-R50Cs, assuming they're real Ford wheels) - I would not mix D178s and R50Cs on the car.
    Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 03-11-2018 at 11:05 PM.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

A good friend of mine has a 255/40/17 on a 17x9 +24 and a +3 spacer. It fits but be prepared to fiddle around to get there!

Heres where it gets tedious:

strut towers, K members, control arms, and fenders vary car to car

Struts vary. Some let you get more negative camber (and positive caster) than others out of box

Assuming a Koni adjustable or a Monroe strut is used

Caster/camber plates required
    camber bolts required in the top spindle bolt
    Rack limiter required

9" rims sometimes run the factory A arm unless an X2 balljoint is used.

as with any SN95 spindle on a fox a bumpsteer kit is a good idea.

If you center the strut in the tower then max out caster and dial in your camber with camber bolts and a prybar you can get to a happy medium where things fit without rolling fenders or anything.

A 255/40/17 on an 8" wide rim is pushing it but also works and has a few advantages

I run 245/45/17 on a 17x8 rim on my 1986. It works quite well.

Yep they are real. What would you suggest in the aftermarket world with a similar profile. Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 682
Size:  180.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    A good friend of mine has a 255/40/17 on a 17x9 +24 and a +3 spacer. It fits but be prepared to fiddle around to get there!

Heres where it gets tedious:

strut towers, K members, control arms, and fenders vary car to car

Struts vary. Some let you get more negative camber (and positive caster) than others out of box

Assuming a Koni adjustable or a Monroe strut is used

Caster/camber plates required
    camber bolts required in the top spindle bolt
    Rack limiter required

9" rims sometimes run the factory A arm unless an X2 balljoint is used.

as with any SN95 spindle on a fox a bumpsteer kit is a good idea.

If you center the strut in the tower then max out caster and dial in your camber with camber bolts and a prybar you can get to a happy medium where things fit without rolling fenders or anything.

A 255/40/17 on an 8" wide rim is pushing it but also works and has a few advantages

I run 245/45/17 on a 17x8 rim on my 1986. It works quite well.
    Good grief! Sounds like a pain. Im not a fan of the big wheels because of all the issues. The rims you mentioned seem to be the same ones I am looking at.
    Name:  image2.jpeg
Views: 680
Size:  80.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    The D178 wheel has a completely different shape than the wheels you're looking at (which appear to be M-1007-R50Cs, assuming they're real Ford wheels) - I would not mix D178s and R50Cs on the car.
    ??
    The D178 rims are close to the shape and style of those rims.
    However, the D178 rims are "painted", not chrome. I think that FRPP made some "D178" spec rims in Chrome.

Below are my D178 rims. FRPP originals.

I use them with R58s in the back.
    The D178s and the R58's aren't a "perfect match". But, they very close. Imho, unless someone gets very close, they look the same.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-1007-r58
    Brand: Ford Performance Parts
    Manufacturer's Part Number: M-1007-R58
    Part Type: Wheels
    Product Line: Ford Performance Parts Silver SVT Mustang Cobra R Wheels
    Summit Racing Part Number: FMS-M-1007-R58
    Wheel Material: Aluminum
    Wheel Diameter: 17 in.
    Wheel Width (in): 9.000 in.
    Backspacing (in): 5.980 in.
    Offset: +24.00mm
    UPC: 75612210005
    TPMS Sensor Compatible: No
    Primary Wheel Color: Silver
    Wheel Finish: Gloss
    Manufacturers Wheel Series: Ford Racing SVT Mustang Cobra R Series
    Wheel Construction: 1-piece
    Beadlock Included: No
    Beadlock Functional: No
    Lug Nut Seat Style: Conical seat - 60 degree
    Center Bore Diameter (in): 2.780 in.
    Center Cap Included: Yes
    Load Rating (lbs): 1,366 lbs.
    Valve Stems Included: No
    Recommended Valve Stem: 7/16 in. pull-through
    Quantity: Sold individually.
    Wheel Bolt Pattern (app): 5 x 4 1/2 in.
    Application Notes: 1994-04 Mustang; will clear M2300K disc brakes.

Btw, neither the FRPP D178 or R58s have been made for a while.
    But, there are aftermarket alternatives that have the same specs and style.

I run a 255/40/17 on a 17X9 Cobra R with a 24mm offset on the front of my 79 Pace Car. Stock K member with Fox length control arms. 94/95 SN95 spindles and ball joints with 03/04 Cobra 13" front brakes.

I have a slight rub when going up or down an incline with the wheels turned otherwise no issues. I do run Maximum Motorsports CC plates as well as Bilstein shocks with Eibach lowering springs too. So bottom line the wheels and tires can fit. Your tire brand, alignment, and ride height will affect how well they do or don't fit. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrhockey View Post
    Yep they are real. What would you suggest in the aftermarket world with a similar profile.
    I don't think there's any need to suggest anything in the aftermarket world. You have the opportunity to buy the real deal, why look for knock-offs instead?

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    The D178 rims are close to the shape and style of those rims.
    Perhaps to your eyes. To mine, the spoke design is very obviously different, not to mention the stepped outer rim on the D178 vs. the smooth rim on the R58/R50.

Quote Originally Posted by stangPlus2Birds View Post
    The D178s and the R58's aren't a "perfect match". But, they very close. Imho, unless someone gets very close, they look the same.
    I disagree on that point. And the wheels he's looking at aren't R58s (or C58s), they're R50Cs, which are even more different. If you didn't pick up on the difference, you probably also wouldn't pick up on the difference between your '98 Cobra front wheels and '95 Cobra R rear wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I run a 255/40/17 on a 17X9 Cobra R with a 24mm offset on the front of my 79 Pace Car. Stock K member with Fox length control arms. 94/95 SN95 spindles and ball joints with 03/04 Cobra 13" front brakes.

I have a slight rub when going up or down an incline with the wheels turned otherwise no issues. I do run Maximum Motorsports CC plates as well as Bilstein shocks with Eibach lowering springs too. So bottom line the wheels and tires can fit. Your tire brand, alignment, and ride height will affect how well they do or don't fit. Good Luck!
    Congrats, you must have the 0.0001% car!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    Congrats, you must have the 0.0001% car!
    Maybe I am just really good at fitting 17X9's on Foxes since this is not the first nor only Fox I have run the 9" front wheels.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller