Close

Default 81 Cobra with an 8-track Player

Does anyone know how many 1981 Mustangs came with an 8 track player? I didn't know they even existed in 1981, but my 33,000 mile original 81 Cobra has an 8 track player in it from the factory. I thought it was an aftermarket, but it is on the invoice.
    Last edited by Motorcity Mustang; 03-11-2018 at 12:07 PM.

FEP Member

I cannot answer your question, but I bet it is few. Considering 81 cobra must be rare in itself. I have literally never seen one in person. Apparently 8 track was still available in 82 as well. I have no idea if my soon to be mine 82 had this option originally. Long gone the stock unit. But I do plan on a Marti Report for said car. What if? I would almost want to find an original one. Just for the nostalgia of it.
    01 F250 Lariat SC 4x4 and it's paid for. Still loving the V10

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

8 track stereos were not only available in 1982, they were also available in 1983 (final yr). If you want to know how many '81 Mustangs were equipped with a factory 8 track, you will need to order a Marti Report, and specifically ask Kevin Marti about the number of 8 track players in Mustangs for 1981. The extra question is of course extra $$$, as it will require extra research, but if you have to know, the data is available.
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 03-15-2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: 'Bama Won!

FEP Member

Very cool info.
    01 F250 Lariat SC 4x4 and it's paid for. Still loving the V10

Awesome. I’ve messed around with 8 tracks a lot. That’s where my Dad’s Crosby Stills Nash and Young was. Several albums of similar stuff - some with young and some without- but I best remember 4 way street.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

My 1982 Capri RS back in the day had an original 8-track radio in it. Of course it took me only a couple months to replace it with an aftermarket cassette.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

My pace car has the original cassette player, but 8-track would be cooler. When did the cassette player first become an option? Was it available in the Mustang 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    My pace car has the original cassette player, but 8-track would be cooler. When did the cassette player first become an option? Was it available in the Mustang 2?
    My 78 Mustang II had a factory cassette player.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White