Close

Default Gold cadmium plating paint

Has anyone ever tried using some combination of gold paint to replicate the gold cadmium plating on some of the stuff under the hood? Like the wiper motor, the carburetor, etc. I did a quick look on Easwoods site but didn't see anything. I thought I remembered dupli color or Krylon making some kind of kit but I haven't seen anything lately.

Eastwood sells a "kit" that has the base color and the tint colors to imitate a gold cad appearance. I have used it on parts that I elected not to replate (i.e. p/s hoses, Koni quad shocks, etc.). It does ok. I did shoot a clear over it in an attempt to protect it from fading/wearing off.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-go...plete-kit.html
    Last edited by bluemax; 03-11-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added link
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Thanks. I guess I didn't look in the right place.

Eastwood company has A BUNCH of AWESOME stuff.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I used to buy stuff from them at Carlisle but they dont go there anymore and I never think about them now or get a catalog.

I've used the Eastwood kit many times over the years. I would agree it is "ok". My experience was that the gold base is pretty good, but the red and green highlights you add don't last very long. Later I added a clear coat like Matt noted above, and that did help some.

In recent years I have sent certain parts off to be replated. Those results are better, but I have learned (logically enough) that the results mostly depend on the condition of the metal. And, the condition of 39 year old parts often isn't that spiffy.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Cadmium plating and clear zinc plating are CHEAP when done in bulk by taking all your stuff CLEAN to the plater in a 5 gallon bucket.

I have taken bolts, nuts, washer's, brackets and all sorts of small stuff already cleaned by wire wheel buzzed or bead blasted to the plater in a 5 gallon bucket and got it all done for $25 or less most times.

You pay more $25.00 for the Eastwood paint system/shipping and STILL have go through the same cleaning & prep process for the bolts and parts that I do when plating the stuff all to get a sub-standard result with paint.

The key is doing the cleaning and prep work yourself so all the plater has to do is clean dip and plate the parts.
    Last edited by vintageracer; 03-13-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

I can buy new nuts and bolts that are already plated dirt cheap by the boxful. I want to do the wiper motor, throttle cable bracket on the intake, and some other little pices under the hood as a quickie job.