Close

Default Chassis Paint or Undercoat?

While getting ready to install my Aeromotive fuel tank, I wanted to clean up the underside of my car. It wasn't too bad with the factory undercoating. Now that I got cleaned up, not sure if I should paint or undercoat it again. Or should I get some POR15 or something?

Thanks

I used bedliner paint from pep boys krylon ARMOR on my mustang and Fairmont engine bay and under carriage works wonder

It really depends on how and when you drive your Mustang. Paint works just fine and is generally pretty inexpensive. Using something like an Epoxy is great as it sticks really well and is very durable. A bit more expensive than enamel but again more durable.

POR 15 is a great option although the cost is generally a bit more. You also have to be careful as some of the POR 15 products require tie coats and or top coats for UV protection. The UV protection is not a big deal with an under carriage, but it will help the long term durability.

The spray on bedliner material is a great option if you don't mind the additional texture. It can be very easy to clean and keep clean so that's a benefit. I personally like using the bedliner material as it adds a nice layer of protection and does help a small amount with road noise and the general tin can feel the Foxes can have. Don't misunderstand it's nothing like adding actual sound deadening material to the inside of the vehicle, but it does help.

I would recommend the UPol Raptor spray in bedliner material. They offer an inexpensive spray gun that makes spraying it easy and gives a nice light texture. You can buy kits online or at your local auto body supply shop. They offer the material in black as well as a tintable setup that can be color matched to your vehicle. You can order 4 Liter kits online with a gun for a bit over $100 so pretty good deal IMHO. The kit covers @ 125 sq ft which is probably enough for the underside of your Mustang. I also like to use the product in the wheel wells in black as it really makes then look good and easier to clean than paint. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The question I have is what kind of weather do you drive the car in? If you drive it daily then I would go with undercoating. If you only drive it on nice dry sunny days then just paint.
    I just had the tank out of my wife's 5.0 LX and used bed armour on the tank and plastic shield but just used Krylon Industrial rattle can paint on the underside. That car sees a lot of car show duty though.