Close

Default Is this gear cast iron or steel?

I got this distributor from NAPA, who had it listed as a steel gear for 85 mustang. I looked up the part number and it also shows steel, but how can I be sure? I figured it would be smooth but it obviously has some casting texture on the upper area. Part# is 30-2831

Attachment 119394

Looks like a cast gear to me. What i did was buy a steel crane gear to know for sure. Also every parts store distributor I've had my hands on has the gear installed in the wrong place on the shaft. To far down the shaft and the gear will bind against the boss in the block. Too high and the gear will never pull down against the boss in the block and usually causes the pin to shear eventually.

I believe it is a cast iron gear as well. The steel gears do hot have the rough grainy texture on the pinned end. The steel gears are smooth in that area.
    Black 1985 GT: 408w, in the 6's in the 1/8 mile
    Bimini Blue 1988 LX 5.0 Coupe 5-speed, Hellion turbo, zero options
    Grabber Yellow 1973 Mustang Mach 1: 351c, toploader
    Black 2012 5.0 GT, 6-speed, Brembo brakes, 3.73's
    Wimbledon White 1966 F-100 Shortbed Styleside, 390, Tremec 3550, FiTech EFI

You can see the 'casting' marks on it..
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

That's what I thought, guys. Napa insists it is steel. Thanks for the help!

FEP Power Member

Maybe they were thinking cast bronze. Cast pasts always have a rough surface someplace.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Make sure they pull it for an 85 manual.. The 85 auto had a cast gear
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    Make sure they pull it for an 85 manual.. The 85 auto had a cast gear
    It was for a manual. When I look up the part number, it even shows steel gear. This was a manufacturer problem...but the guys at Napa are going by what the description says.

This link isn't working for me. If this is a link to AutoZone's steel gear distributor, I'd like to see it. They couldn't find it for me and I couldn't find it when I searched.

AutoZone part # 30-2831 shows up on their website and description says "with steel gear". But that's the part # I have and it's obviously cast iron. Besides, it's not available. No price listed and says "ship to home only". When I try to add it to my cart, I get a message that says "this item already in your cart". When I check my cart, it's empty.

This is the one I put in my 92 block. It has a steel gear.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NNDNNDST2831B
    Foxes:
    1983 Mustang GT--Forum Outlaw
    1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
    Other Fords
    1955 F100 351W
    1998 Ranger

"Pink isn't well, he stayed back at hotel."

Yes. Both of those should work. I'm still a bit put off by this thing being sold as having a steel gear, though. I mean, how many people would question it? Pretty big mistake, considering you would end up with ground metal in good crankcase!

Sounds like a law suite waiting to happen considering it would ruin the motor!

I’d go to a different NAPA and talk with someone else.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Careful final inspection is a must. Well done. This one would make me stop wait a minute whats this?
    Has this tripped enough returns or complaints to warrant further checking by NAPA?
    Would not take a chance because steel and cast marks conflict as to what gear really is.
    Some people use the grinder spark color test to id metal whether iron or steel.

What is clear is app specifically requires, with warnings, either a cast iron or steel gear.
    What is not clear is why a steel gear has the appearance of a cast gear. Iron alloy?
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-85...ams,55255.html

Glad i have a 2.3. Melonite, Composite/Polymer, brass, bronze, cast, steel.
    pic: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,32408.msg356712.html

Wonder how much tech knowledge non-manufacturer database catalog writers have lately.
    All it takes is one person saying 'steel' to another without really checking it out or knowing the consequences of error.
    Some stores are usually pretty accurate but found they can drop the ball every now and then.
    One example is inconsistent cross reference of same part to different models.

Plenty of times steel is used as a generic term to identify material made of metal, correctly or not.
    Like a cement mixer truck pours a cement sidewalk or driveway. Sort of informal word for concrete.

Cast steel does exist. More confusing is the term 'steel castings'
    wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_casting.

Have seen cast iron brake rotors light and dark color. The cheapo ones are dark.
    Both are of cast iron, different ingredients. The casting roughness can be machined off.
    Nothing stopping anyone from machining a cast dist gear smooth. Just sayin...

RockAuto and others list both manual and auto could have cast or steel gears.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-08-2018 at 01:33 AM.

getting cast gears is a big problem, especially when ordering for the 85 model year. It's extremely common to get the wrong one. They're pretty ez to swap if you have an old dizzy laying around and a press
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

This is the distributor I used in the Zephyr when I swapped in the 5.0 from an 89 Mustang. The gear had a machined surface.

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu...1250_4618_3498
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold