Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Questions on Tire Sizes for a 10.5 Wide Wheel

My new wheels showed up a couple days ago, and I finished up changing the lower control arms and tire rods over to SN95 99-04 parts to better work with the 10.5 wide wheels. Still not sure on spacers, if they are needed, and what size. I think that is going to be influenced by tires.

Concerning tires, I had initially planned to run a 315/30-18 BFG Rival S on each corner of the car. It's not really built as a track car, so the 200 wear is more than I need most of the time. Someone that runs in the Optima series suggested I drop down to a 285 Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 as the 315 "will feel sloppy" with anything less than 450 rwhp.

The car will run a 2.73 rear gear this year and will eventually go to a 3.55 to stay a little more highway than city driving with the T5 transmission. Springs will be changed next Winter, and I'm not overly concerned with a 200 wear rating on the tires. It's a hobby car.

What do you think between the 285 or the 315? Does it really matter if it's just a hobby car? Will the 315 make the car so unbearable?

Attachment 119309
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

I am not sure how your HP rating will cause the tires to feel "sloppy" or not.

I can see how the 285 compared to a 315 might feel tighter due to the 285 being a bit narrower and stretched just a bit to fit the 10.5" width. Where the 315 is stretched less to fit the same width. Pretty standard practice for competition vehicles to run a tire that is either the same basic width or even just a bit narrower than the wheel width to you have less "slop" or sidewall roll over when cornering at high speeds etc.

So in a competition sense the 285 might be a better choice. As for street driving I don't see much difference other than the 315 being heavier might cause you to be a bit slower and get less fuel mileage. The 285 might be a cheaper option so that never hurts. Obviously a 285 will fit easier or better than a 315, but with your 3" flares neither should give you any issues.

I would say buy what fits your budget, your plans, and/or what you like. Either should work just fine for what you plan. Once you start competing there will be other considerations in regards to your tires besides just the sizing. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 03-04-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am not sure how your HP rating will cause the tires to feel "sloppy" or not.
    I agree - "the 315 'will feel sloppy' with anything less than 450 rwhp" just strikes me as bench-racing nonsense. FWIW, I have 315/30-18 615Ks on 18x10.5"s on the rear of my car and I haven't noticed any sloppiness despite my only having ~380rwhp. Maybe my butt dyno isn't calibrated finely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I would say buy what fits your budget, your plans, and/or what you like. Either should work just fine for what you plan. Once you start competing there will be other considerations in regards to your tires besides just the sizing. Good Luck!
    I agree with all that, too.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I have 315/30-18 615Ks on 18x10.5"s on the rear of my car
    Any reason to choose the Falken over the BFG? Falkens are a little more expensive, which is why I was thinking BFG. Same tread wear rating, and I won't probably notice any difference with mine.