Close

Question Question about fuel pump/fuel level wiring at tail light harness

Today I was trying to replace my damaged tail light harness on my '85GT T-TOP CAR. I have a sumped Aeromotive fuel tank I am trying to install also. Anyway, I only see a fuel level wiring connector with two wires going through the trunk floor on my original harness. New harness from member here has a four wire connector. Would like to be able to power up new aftermarket fuel pump (Aeromotive A1000) with the factory harness plus hook up my fuel level sending unit. Maybe the original fuel electric pump and fuel sending unit we're altogether as one unit on the tank? Not sure if '85 had electric or mechanical fuel pump from factory. On my Aeromotive fuel tank, I only have the sending unit mounted on lower level of fuel tank top surface. On the raised area of fuel tank, I have a block off plate where factory pick up tube was mount prior. I guess worst case I could run new wiring for new electric fuel pump. Pics are welcomed!

Thanks

FEP Super Member

85 is a carburated xar , so it had a mechanical pump .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

That helps some.

FEP Super Member

The fuel level sender and the electric fuel pump , are in 2 different circuits .
    They are also in 2 different locations on the tank .
    You should have no trouble running your set up , with the new harness you got .
    The fuel level wiring is the same between the years , so that will leave you the pump circuit , 2 wires .

What about the inertia switch and rest of parts in the harness for the electric pump? By pass the inertia switch?

FEP Super Member

I would not bypass the inertia switch, wire it in like factory .

Why not? My car is a '85GT w/ carb.

Generally motors stop in an accident and the mechanical fuel pump stops. electrical stuff doesn't generally stop.

Assume the fuel pump will not shut off in the event of an accident. Think about the consequence of that if a line is ruptured. If there is any spark it will burn the car to the ground! Heck maybe with some poor injured sole in it!

Hook up the inertia switch if you are running an electrical pumpi for pity sake!!

O.K. I understand. I could also add a Kill Switch to the build.

In the event of a collision the driver may not be awake to hit the kill switch. Inertia switches work great. I've only ever tripped mine on my 86GT once and it has nearly 1/2 million miles. It made perfect sense when it tripped.

It never tripped while on slicks even when it went into fairly violent tire shake.

My 84 was also a carbed car. When I went to aftermarket EFI, it required an electric fuel pump. I emulated the factory set up to a point but since my car did not have the factory relay/switch, I ran my own fuel pump relay, inertia switch and wiring. Figured better safe than sorry, especially in the event of an accident that knocked me out.

Here's how I did mine in couple different points to show the interior and tank work:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1830589

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1834848
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?