Close

Default 1985 Cruise Control

Thinking ahead in the build on my 85 so I can get the parts on hand before they are needed. I'm thinking about all the miles I want to log later this year and I'm realizing that I'm not going to be happy about it without cruise control

I found a cruise button adapter setup for Momo four spoke wheels that I plan to track down again and buy.

My 85 has a cruise capable steering wheel on it right now and it had cruise when new. This has me thinking maybe I should go through making a list of every cruise part, how to test them, and track things down and get cruise in place and working on my Saleen.

After that's handled I can do the wheel conversion and try to make the adapter work, etc.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

heres my thoughts. Afaik all the aero cruise parts are compatible with 86-93. Pretty sure the 79-85 are different. Not sure - I am certain. several guys here will know.

my son and I each have an 86. I also have an 85. Cruise is broken on the 86, mostly missing on the 85.

My son's cruise worked right up until I had a local dealer replace the brake booster because it failed on his daily while I was out of town. Stupid part is the cruise was even working with the bad booster in place..... now they say it doesn't work because they don't know that it worked when the car came in. Right... and I don't know where I'm buying my next Lincoln either.... oh, and the car is "old" and has brittle wires so they just don't know how to find it. being a bitch about fixing it. Apparently they don't have some special 35 year old ford tool and can't figure out what's wrong without the tool. Now for some comic relief. Hmm, if the tool is only 35, he probably won't know much about working on that damn cruise. Oh - you mean like a metal tool. A ford tool? I have a damn hammer in the trunk so what's the problem - get to work.

My 86GT, the cruise worked before it sat for 5 years. Didn't there-after.

My 85 is just missing a bunch of stuff, haven't tried to figure it out.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-04-2018 at 05:12 AM.

I'm wondering if the mechanic mistakenly disconnected the vacuum hose on your son's car when he did the break booster. The booster vacuum line goes to the same connector that the Cruise control vacuum line goes to. I'd take a look. I can take pictures of what I have tomorrow and post em for you if you need. I can also show you the difference between my 85 and the 88.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-04-2018 at 05:13 AM.

Yes, the steering wheel you had picture and the wheels on the three cars are the same.
    Then we can play with them and figure our cars out.

I plan to get the 4 spoke momo cruise adapter for the 85 Saleen build so it has all of the looks of a Saleen and all of the functionality of the well optioned GT it is being built on. Best of both worlds!

Last edited by FoxChassis; 03-04-2018 at 05:14 AM.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Looked into it. The button bracket George Gast sells uses 87-89 buttons and works with select three spoke and Monte Carlo wheels, but it likely won't fit my Momo wheel I bought that has real Saleen racing history (with #7)

Looking at sending George the Momo and the horizontal buttons from the steering wheel I had in my 1986 the vast majority of the 1/2 million miles its went.

That wheel's grip is entirely gone and the column is entirely shelled out like you would not believe so it's probably a good use for those old buttons.

No offers to sell or buy parts shall be posted in this forum. That belongs in the classifieds ONLY.

My 85 gt cruise isn't working either. I haven't looked into it at all but I am interested in this thread because of the part and testing mention.