Close

Default Iv never seen one like it..

So I bought another coupe recently, its an 86 and i know coupes didn't come from the factory with sunroofs after 84, i know that before i bought it. I've been looking at every pic i can find of mustangs with factory installed sunroofs, i haven't found many and if found none of coupes yet at least not from the inside. So my question is has anyone ever seen this design?? Im guessing its aftermarket what do you all think? Name:  sun.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  38.0 KB Name:  sun2.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  50.3 KBName:  sun3.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  50.9 KB

The factory ones all fit flush into the roof without an external frame as far as I know. So yeah definitely aftermarket. Unless there is a name on it then figuring out what brand it is will be next to impossible.

Yeah I figured, the guy wasn't the original owner and i don't think he is very mustang savvy. When I asked "is this facory" witch I knew it wasn't he said yes. I just needed a cheap notch in a crunch so this is what got I. He says it doesn't leak but that's more than likely do to the fact it most likely has no water channels. I think more than likely it was a well done dealer install.

So many different sunroofs available back in the 80's. I remember an auto parts store in town had a wall with at least 4 or 5 different styles. Now I wonder if you could even get one if you wanted one? Usually the giveaway with the aftermarkets is the frame. I believe its much more cost effective for the mfg's to stamp different roof steel with the location built in. less labor & far less parts involved. I Know lots of dealers added them to cars on the lot though, so no doubt there are some original owners who might think their sunroofs are factory. Just like the stripes on my 83.

In not near the car but i know i should be able to check the tag on the radiator support to see if for some odd reason its labeled as it being an option. Previous owner says he had 2 other ones like it and checked the vin to confirm its factory. I still think its dealer installed or aftermarket. Ill check the numbers when i get a chance then ill know for sure.