Close

Default Anyone Bought/Used AGR Steering Rack???

Hi All,

Gonna be replacing the steering rack in my car. LMR.COM has a rack from AGR. I was wondering if anyone had bought, installed, used one etc... Just wanted to do some research first. Open to all suggestions too. Thanks!

Replaced rack on my 79 (hard to find TRW) with 15:1 Ford.
    Looked them all over. Many hours online. Specs, pumps, hoses, availability, costs vs warranty/quality.
    Pretty much was changeover from 79 to 83 GT spec.
    Went with AZ rack, matching pump. Hoses, outer tie rod ends, from other stores.
    Like new again no noises of any kind, sticky ness, tire rub, or leaks.
    Parking and road manners fine after getting used to quicker ratio.

The whole deal was to spec match everything, mainly pump to rack.
    Most, like AGR, were unclear as to what matched what.
    Wanted to inspect parts before purchase, so went locally. No special order issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Replaced rack on my 79 (hard to find TRW) with 15:1 Ford.
    Looked them all over. Many hours online. Specs, pumps, hoses, availability, costs vs warranty/quality.
    Pretty much was changeover from 79 to 83 GT spec.
    Went with AZ rack, matching pump. Hoses, outer tie rod ends, from other stores.
    Like new again no noises of any kind, sticky ness, tire rub, or leaks.
    Parking and road manners fine after getting used to quicker ratio.

The whole deal was to spec match everything, mainly pump to rack.
    Most, like AGR, were unclear as to what matched what.
    Wanted to inspect parts before purchase, so went locally. No special order issues.
    Mine is also a '79, but I put a newer K frame in it. I was planning on going with the later style rack, which coincidentally seem a little easier to find. How is the quicker ratio? That was another question, 15:1 vs. the 20:1. And btw, thanks for the reply!

You are welcome. Helping keep our cars fun is important as is sharing knowledge, good or bad.
    Like they say, "We report, you decide."
    The only problem was the steering wheel was now upside down when the rack was centered out.
    Align shop could not correct with tie rod adj.
    Needed to remove s. wheel and reindex it. May have been able to do it at rag joint but not much room to work.
    Pressure and return hoses were different from 79 too. Tie rod ends ok.

100% glad i changed over. Much better avail of parts was reason enough. Peace of mind.
    Had the TRW been more available, decision would have more difficult. TRW cores now bring good money.
    Daily driving, opinion estimates:
    The 15:1 has a overall slightly higher effort or heavier feel to it compared to TRW/79.
    On freeway, can easily work the lane precisely as before with about the same movement, just a heavier feel.
    When rolling, can steer with thumbs on steering wheel spokes. Can use fingertip when parking.

It came with rack limiters installed, so turn radius is a little wider. Do not know how many there are.
    A 360 in a side street intersection may now not quite make it on one try as before.
    Non-angle lot parking seems to need a little more room to swing in or two tries than before.

Slowing down and turning onto a side street is now like a 1/4 lock turn vs 1/3 or 1/2.
    I say this comparing it to my Ranger, which is 17:1, same turn.
    That is the most noticeable change from the TRW rack. Quicker response, less wheel needed.
    The TRW variable ratio (which is what i had) took more 'wheel' when parking. Road: about the same.
    TRW had a lighter feel at low speed, but not as much as a 60's-70's Chrysler product.

The one i have now (rack #3) is 2.25 turns lock to lock.
    Other 15:1 racks are listed as 2.5.
    I think mine is less because it has more rack limiters installed at factory, not a different ratio.
    The Ranger with 17:1 is 3.0 lock to lock. The 79 vari-ratio TRW was 20:1 to 16:1. per shop manual.
    The TRW lock to lock varied according to speed. Slow ratio at low speed, fast ratio at higher road speed.

Rack #2 was a Cardone TRW reman special order. POS almost from day 1. Pump whine, rack seal leaks later.
    May have been a mismatched pump too, so took no chances this time.

More info from the past with part numbers and lots of posts:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...recomendations
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...for-a-fox-body
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Rack-Questions
    Last edited by gr79; 03-02-2018 at 09:07 PM.

AGR in the past did not have the best reputation in regards to long term quality. Many complained of leaks, etc.

Not sure if that has changed or still the same. I bought one years ago and finally installed it in my 85 Road Racer, but it has zero miles on it at this point. So I can't say anything one way or another about it.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Not sure who might read this, just hoping to save someone possible aggravation.... I ordered an AGR rack about 3 months ago. I waited a while, then called to inquire about my order. They said they would be shipping it at the end of the week, and I would be receiving an invoice. After a week, and no invoice, I called again. To finish the story, I called and cancelled the order after 7 weeks of empty promises. They were always polite, but never sent the rack. Even when I cancelled the order, they never even balked, like they knew I would eventually cancel the order. As I was near the 60 day max to dispute the charge on my credit card, I did so, not believing that they would process the refund like they said that they would....

I also noticed during the 7 weeks, that LMR stopped selling their racks, and even removed them from their site. Since, I ordered a rack off of ROCKAUTO. Literally got it in 2 days.