Close

Thread: Cluster issues

Default Cluster issues

My speedometer and Rpm did not work when I purchased the car. I was told it just needed to be plugged into the cluster. Yesterday I replaced the dash speakers and decided to try to plug in the speed cable. I got it plugged in and got no response from the speedometer, or rpm. And now my fuel gauge isn't responding.

Suggestions??

The speedometer is fully mechanical. If you completely pull the instrument cluster, you should be able to manually spin the input to the speedo and see if the problem lies there. I would tend to suspect the cable itself. With a partner you could disconnect the cable at the transmission and turn the gear while watching the opposite end to be sure. The various Fox suppliers carry replacement cables.
    1985 GT owned since new

Thanks you. Any idea on why the gas gauge just stopped working? The inside turn signal lights are also no longer flashing. Gonna get some new bulbs and try that.

I would take the cluster out and make sure it looks mint. Mine was all falling apart when I took it out so I had to get a second one for parts. As for the gas gauge, its either the gauge itself or the fuel sending unit. I would fix the tach and speedo first.

I had my speedo quit working, the cable had melted against the header and seized up, and in doing so broke the gear in the tail shaft housing. Good news is i learned how to take out a t5 transmission.