Close

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Default Problems reporting SPAM threads

On 3 or 4 occasions within the past month or so I've come across SPAM threads and have clicked the little ! icon to report them. Everything else I do on the site loads up nice and quick, but when I click to submit a report, it takes an inordinate amount of time to finally go through. The one I just reported (which has a link to USA vs Puerto Rico live stream) took probably 2-3 minutes before it finally went through.

Obviously this issue isn't the end of the world, it just seems strange to me that everything else on the site loads normally, but reporting a thread seems to take (comparatively) forever.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Member

Same here so I stopped reporting them.

I've noticed that as well. I usually report them and then open up a new window to continue reading while the gears grind in the background.
    1985 GT owned since new

Good to know it's not just me. I'm at work now, and can't report anything. The slow Navy network will churn away for a couple minutes, then time out with a "Network Error". At home the reports will eventually go through.

General Tech is full of SPAM right now.

You can also right-click the link and open it in a new tab...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

That's true, but that work-around doesn't address the fact that something appears to be wrong with the reporting feature. I don't have the same issue on other vBulletin sites I use and/or moderate.

There is some problems at this site and one of them is that there seems to be a lot of spam and its always from some random account.

Could every accounts first post be checked by moderator before it is public, so there wouldn't be spam to report? Some boards have that option, and it seems to work.

Only the site administrator can change the setting to automatically moderate new users. I can't do that. Right now, the best option for us moderators is to delete posts and ban the spammers.

Just report the posts and the moderators will take it from there.

I just did a 'report test'. Yes, it did take a minute to actually work. But it did work.