Close

Default Anyone install new T-Top seals? Issues with my install.

Just started to put on the t-top seal kit from LMR. I replaced the felt first (came out "okay"), now Im onto just test fitting the main t-top to roof / window seal. My passenger side t-top takes as great amount of force to even latch close, wondering if this was just because how new the rubber is. But, then if latched, both sides have about a half inch gap from the top of the window (when rolled up) to the t-top seal itself.

Passenger side is the worse, but both sides have a LARGE gap. I have yet to install the seal that actually goes on the t-top itself so that might help??

That, and when rolling up the dirver side window it catches the new rubber and stops the motor from rolling it up. So it seems my windows will need adjustments.

Also (last question!) My kit came with a c-channel rubber, I guess this takes unscrewing the c-channel and this goes under it?? ot sure what to make of that seal and if I should use it.

As you can see I have a number of little issues, was hoping to reach out to others to see what experience they had.

Thank all!

I had a bunch of issues like this when I replaced mine as well
    Just the nature of the kit I guess.
    Mine were so tight after install I hardly take them off anymore. But they don't leak which was my main issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by endub View Post
    I had a bunch of issues like this when I replaced mine as well
    Just the nature of the kit I guess.
    Mine were so tight after install I hardly take them off anymore. But they don't leak which was my main issue.

Appreciate the response. Glad to know its NOT just mine, They will likely form over time but at the back of the t-top, where the glass slides under the retainer...this is super tight, so the outsides area of the seals are barely making contact...so much so that is feels like the glass could be bowing.

Did you have gaps in the top of the window to seal?

Yes I have the gaps. But it's not enough to make me worry about it as it doesn't let in water or wind.

I replaced one side and had a bigger gap with the new than with the old where the rear of the door glass was supposed to meet the body. Made me so mad I never did put the other side on.

I had the same issue. I cut down some of the extra foam backer rod they give you and inserted it under the T top seals to prop them up so they make contact with the glass.

I had trouble with the felt strips because the trim pieces they attach to are curved and I just couldn't make them bend to the radius without making a bunch of cuts. It looks ok but doesn't conform perfectly.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

May need to adjust the window glass. I had to a few times
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

QUALITY reproduction restoration parts!
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

Quote Originally Posted by dagenham View Post
    I replaced one side and had a bigger gap with the new than with the old where the rear of the door glass was supposed to meet the body. Made me so mad I never did put the other side on.
    You can adjust those weatherstrip retainers outwards. They mount with slotted screw holes to allow adjustments.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

After window adjustments, the last two I did were perfect
    Name:  86c.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  173.0 KB
    Name:  88f.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  114.5 KB
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by mdula View Post
    Just started to put on the t-top seal kit from LMR. I replaced the felt first (came out "okay"), now Im onto just test fitting the main t-top to roof / window seal. My passenger side t-top takes as great amount of force to even latch close, wondering if this was just because how new the rubber is. But, then if latched, both sides have about a half inch gap from the top of the window (when rolled up) to the t-top seal itself.

Passenger side is the worse, but both sides have a LARGE gap. I have yet to install the seal that actually goes on the t-top itself so that might help??

That, and when rolling up the dirver side window it catches the new rubber and stops the motor from rolling it up. So it seems my windows will need adjustments.

Also (last question!) My kit came with a c-channel rubber, I guess this takes unscrewing the c-channel and this goes under it?? ot sure what to make of that seal and if I should use it.

As you can see I have a number of little issues, was hoping to reach out to others to see what experience they had.

Thank all!
    I was watching your video last night! I have 2 cars awaiting a success story with after market ttop gaskets... hope one of us can make it work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
    After window adjustments, the last two I did
    That is reassuring news. Who did you buy the gasket kits from? Can you teach us with no past experience more about the adjustments good sir?

There is a document on here about adjusting the door glass. Glass section starts on page 4 :

http://www.foureyedpride.com/fep_bil...ch/troof_leak/
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe