Close

Thread: Fox Values

FEP Member

Default Fox Values

They are going up. It is getting harder to find deals on them especially the more rare ones. So when you finally do find the perfect project car to restore, do you make it completely stock or do you build it up tastefully like? I suppose that is preference. To me personally bone stock is fine. But I’m accused of being insane if I used the SROD transmission. That is probably so. It wasn’t all that great. The car didn't have tilt wheel and that I would like. So that in itself isn’t exactly stock. Lord knows if I found Recaro seats again I wouldn’t hesitate adding those.
    Mixed feelings on the subject. From day one Mustangs were individualized and bone stock is kind of rare. Yet some will shell out big bucks for one of those. Not sure what to do? I’d love it either way. Perhaps enjoy it more, but perhaps not. Driving it someday stock or not is it’s own reward.
    01 F250 Lariat SC 4x4 and it's paid for. Still loving the V10

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boss82gt View Post
    They are going up. It is getting harder to find deals on them especially the more rare ones. So when you finally do find the perfect project car to restore, do you make it completely stock or do you build it up tastefully like? I suppose that is preference. To me personally bone stock is fine. But I’m accused of being insane if I used the SROD transmission. That is probably so. It wasn’t all that great. The car didn't have tilt wheel and that I would like. So that in itself isn’t exactly stock. Lord knows if I found Recaro seats again I wouldn’t hesitate adding those.
    Mixed feelings on the subject. From day one Mustangs were individualized and bone stock is kind of rare. Yet some will shell out big bucks for one of those. Not sure what to do? I’d love it either way. Perhaps enjoy it more, but perhaps not. Driving it someday stock or not is it’s own reward.
    My take on it? Never worry about value. These cars are not high dollar cars in the grand scheme of car collectability. I built mine to have a lot of fun. Thus, I hit up the cruise nights, some car shows, and drag race it. It's been everything I wanted it to be. I'm not worried about value at all and I'm not saving it for someone else to enjoy it. We're only on this planet once so you'd better enjoy what you do have.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Quote Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
    My take on it? Never worry about value. These cars are not high dollar cars in the grand scheme of car collectability. I built mine to have a lot of fun. Thus, I hit up the cruise nights, some car shows, and drag race it. It's been everything I wanted it to be. I'm not worried about value at all and I'm not saving it for someone else to enjoy it. We're only on this planet once so you'd better enjoy what you do have.
    Well said. Those who worry about being all original will be looking at tail lights anyway from my car. As long as they look stock I guess it’s ok. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All original/stock cars generally bring the most $$ all things being equal. Of course the more desirable the model the bigger the $$. A bone stock plain Jane straight six Mustang/Capri is probably a much harder sell than a 1982 Mustang GT T-top/Recaro car in all original condition. So you have to consider what the market is looking for and what is most valuable. Just because a car is rare doesn't make it valuable.

With all that said, I would recommend you buy/build what you want. I am not a stock guy. Nothing wrong with stock, but it just normally doesn't get me excited. So all of my cars have modifications of some type. Some mild and some wild. I also don't tend to buy really nice, original cars as I know that the desire to modify them will be too much and there is no sense in paying more $$ for a stock/original car only to modify it.

If you like stock and original, but maybe want a few features or improvements that your car doesn't have then do your best to make any changes using original parts. swapping a tilt wheel in for a non tilt isn't a big deal and IMHO will not lessen the value of most vehicles, especially if you do it right with the correct OEM parts and it looks stock when you are done. I plan just that with my 82 RS. It doesn't have tilt, but I will swap in a 82 tilt column that I have. When done no one will know without checking the build sheets that it's not original. I am currently going to stick with the SROD 4 speed because that is original to the car. I would prefer a T-5, but I don't want to do the swap at this time. Later on . . . It might happen, but if it does, I will make sure to use all OEM parts so that the car looks like it originally came with the T-5 to all but the most informed. Same goes for Recaro seats. I have a spare set that I have seriously considered putting in this car, but at this point, I think I am going to stay with the original buckets. The main reason is cost savings, although going back all original upholstery isn't saving me much over the Recaro setup, so . . . If I get lucky with a scratch off anytime soon all bets are off!

Best of luck with your Fox!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think it depends also on what you start with. If you have a nice original clean car, then I'd leave it to bolt-on stuff that you can take off later if you want. I like things that are original because I think it's cool to experience the car the way it was first made. That said, if you buy something that's a mess and you're going to end up replacing everything anyway, or if you buy a roller and need to build a running gear for it, then I say go nuts as these cars lend themselves to modification very well. Also, if you're looking to build up an engine and replace all the suspension, or turn it into a race car, then I'd say start with a car not worth preserving. It makes me cringe seeing people taking a nice car and chopping it up, you see it a lot on those car shows on Velocity. I love the idea of building a hot rod, but did they need to cut up a good car to do it? Jeesh!

FEP Member

The car in question happens to be an 82GT t-top car. Either way I choose to go in it’s restoration, it must be perfect. I just have to decide how to define that.

FEP Member

Well my better half really would like to buy a Ford Fusion. The weakest one is 175hp on up to 325hp. I’m guessing someday the 325hp version will be in the garage. I must admit I don’t go out of my way to race or be a douchebag driver, getting owned by a Fusion would hurt the ego some. The old 2150 might be traded in for a 4150 Holley.

Between my wife and I we have 5 mustangs and 2 cougars. Her 67 Cougar is bone stock while her 69 Cougar vert has cragar GT's and a little bling under the hood. She has a 91 5.0 LX that the only thing left unmodified yet is the engine. My 66 Mustang 6 cylinder 4 speed coupe I restored from the ground up to bone stock. That didnt last. I put a Hurst shifter, Superior wheels, chrome valve cover and a few other little bolt on things that can be turned around in a weekend.
    My SVO and my Saleen I intend to keep stock since they're more of a special model. As far as value goes for any of these cars they're not mega dollar cars by any stretch of the imagination
    In the end as we say around here a lot. Its your car. Do with it as you like. Some may hate it and bitch a little bit but they'll get over it eventually.
    Last edited by dagenham; 02-26-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Well my better half really would like to buy a Ford Fusion. The weakest one is 175hp on up to 325hp. I’m guessing someday the 325hp version will be in the garage. I must admit I don’t go out of my way to race or be a douchebag driver, getting owned by a Fusion would hurt the ego some. The old 2150 might be traded in for a 4150 Holley.
    I got a new fusion sport last year. Pretty nice DD.
    Total sleeper, no one knows what it is/has.............
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    I got a new fusion sport last year. Pretty nice DD.
    Total sleeper, no one knows what it is/has.............
    Little Fusion is kind of a badass. I wouldn’t have guessed it.

I run this by a good friend of mine. I was thinking of Ford Racing Boss block create engine. A respectable 340hp as advertised. He had many reasons not to. Well then I should just go stock then and a whole bunch of reason why I shouldn’t. Haha he really wants me to buy his engine out of that 93.

Thanks all for the advice on the matter. Seriously it could be an 88hp NA 4cyl and I probably wouldn’t use all it’s power, but it really doesn’t matter. It’s mine and I’m going to remind myself that from time to time and make it my own.

The car in question happens to be an 82GT t-top car. Either way I choose to go in it’s restoration, it must be perfect. I just have to decide how to define that.

my 84 gt is un restored stock with t tops with 25k miles. po added shorty headers with megnaflow exhaust and aftermarket wheels and tires. i have original wheels and tires in my basement. two simple mods and its a different car in looks, ride and sound. can easily be converted back to bone stock.