Close

Thread: dizzy question

Default dizzy question

hey guys i am rebuiding an 96 5.0 out of my old ford halfton for my 83 capri going to go carborated . was wondering which distributer should i use the one out of my truck or the one out of the capri. thanks in advance

Blog Entries

Is it a roller cam or flat tappet?
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Use a roller cam and a steel gear on the dizzy from the 83, or use it as a core exchange and get one from an 85.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    Is it a roller cam or flat tappet?
    roller cam

ok thanks will order the gear

Since you guys are already on the topic, I hope it's ok that I post here. I was having issues with my MSD distributor. Had it running on the cast gear, but just temporarily. I had a steel gear ordered. I had trouble installing it and ended up damaging the distributor. I picked up a distributor from NAPA with the steel gear and vacuum advance. (Autozone only showed cast gears available for 85, so make sure you're getting the correct one).

Here's my question: I'm running an MSD 6AL box. The MSD distributor is mechanical advance...stock 85 dizzy is vacuum. Looks like I'll have to wire it up differently. Will this stock-style distributor work with my MSD box or am I going to have to get a duraspark box to hook it up? This is going in my pace car, which was previously a 2.3t. I don't have a spark box I can use, so if I need one to run the 6AL, I'll have to find one.

Blog Entries

My 6AL2 is wired into an '85 distributor. The '85 uses mechanical advance, and vacuum. I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up on mine with a blower, but you could easily, and probably would want to. MSD box to distributor wiring can be found on their website- i can try to find the schematic if you need it. All of the original Duraspark stuff for mine is sitting on a shelf - i used none of it.
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

Quote Originally Posted by brianj View Post
    My 6AL2 is wired into an '85 distributor. The '85 uses mechanical advance, and vacuum. I don't have the vacuum advance hooked up on mine with a blower, but you could easily, and probably would want to. MSD box to distributor wiring can be found on their website- i can try to find the schematic if you need it. All of the original Duraspark stuff for mine is sitting on a shelf - i used none of it.
    I did look at the schematic on MSD's website, but I guess I misunderstood what I was looking at. It looked to me like the 6AL was wired into the old spark box, not the distributor. But thanks for the info! Looks like I'll be back in business this week!

It can be done both ways. My '68 runs a stock Ford '67 HiPo distributor converted to Duraspark pickup, and a 6AL.
    MSD distributor actually contains a Duraspark pickup, btw...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Thanks for the info, guys! And gmatt, that's the part I was needing! I didn't realize they made it. Figured I'd have to just splice them.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Thanks for the info, guys! And gmatt, that's the part I was needing! I didn't realize they made it. Figured I'd have to just splice them.
    It's kind of short(4"), but i think they also make an extension.