Close

Default Weather stripping question

I want to replace all the weather stripping on my 84gt hatch/t-tops. Costs 30 to 40 bucks for stripping to do both doors and the hatch and then 300 (canadian) to do the frickin t-tops. What a rip off. Can a guy just buy a couple of rolls of the stripping and do the whole car? Is the stripping for the t-tops same as the door and hatch?

Edit: not sure if this is the right sub- forum to post this in so if not please move to right one. Thanks
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 02-25-2018 at 09:47 PM.

T-top weather stripping is very specific in its fit. And there seems to some real differences in quality and fitment between brands do your homework before buying.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    T-top weather stripping is very specific in its fit. And there seems to some real differences in quality and fitment between brands do your homework before buying.

Jess
    Any recommendtions on what brands to look at?

Thanks for your interest in this hobby. I wonder if you might be better served to purchase a newer car that you can still go to the dealer and get parts for. These cars (some of them) are 39 years old. I believe a "Rip Off" is incredibly extreme. Go get a 1984 Chrysler Laser and try to find any weatherstripping for it. Let alone T Top weatherstripping. You would be totally excited if you could even find them for twice the price of these. The manufacturer is not obligated to make parts for them eternally. You know that, right? So someone has to take interest and then invest time, money and resources in starting over manufacturing them. That is not free. It might help you to know that they also don't fit all that well even for that much $$ and require a bit of labor to install.
    Last edited by homer302; 02-28-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Sorry, maybe saying rip off was a little extreme but for someone who is new to the hobby sees stripping for the whole car for 30 bucks and then the stuff for t-tops for 400 it seems that way. Maybe next time explain why it's that much and drop the rest of the post. Don't need to be told to go buy a newer car so I can buy parts from dealer or to be lectured on how parts are made. You know that right?? Thanks for your interest in my thread!
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 02-28-2018 at 10:29 PM.

FEP Supporter

Welcome to the site Sask84gt.

Unfortunately parts such as these are "custom" and cannot be done properly with McGyver type universal stripping or other methods (unless you make them in permanent). There are a few threads on the site that detail the weather stripping replacement and also discuss the brands IIRC so you want to try the body shop section of the forum.

As for the price there are numerous kits that may have extra parts you don't need so look at the details and maybe you can save a few bucks. I assume by your user name you are from Saskatchewan and like me are subject to a weak dollar to the US. and expensive shipping to Canada.

Have you tried The Mustang Shop in Calgary? They are decent to deal with, can get most everything if you know what you want, have competitive prices and exchange and also get cheaper shipping to them and then ship out to you.

As said, do your homework on the brand. One may be better than the other and you may get what you pay for. Good luck!

Ask for Joel:

https://www.themustangshop.ca/
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Welcome to the site Sask84gt.

Unfortunately parts such as these are "custom" and cannot be done properly with McGyver type universal stripping or other methods (unless you make them in permanent). There are a few threads on the site that detail the weather stripping replacement and also discuss the brands IIRC so you want to try the body shop section of the forum.

As for the price there are numerous kits that may have extra parts you don't need so look at the details and maybe you can save a few bucks. I assume by your user name you are from Saskatchewan and like me are subject to a weak dollar to the US. and expensive shipping to Canada.

Have you tried The Mustang Shop in Calgary? They are decent to deal with, can get most everything if you know what you want, have competitive prices and exchange and also get cheaper shipping to them and then ship out to you.

As said, do your homework on the brand. One may be better than the other and you may get what you pay for. Good luck!

Ask for Joel:

https://www.themustangshop.ca/
    Thanks to the reply and the info! Yup I'm in sask and I actually just received my first parts from the mustang shop yesterday. They seem pretty good and I will be ordering from them again in the future. Do you have any knowledge of the quality of the t-top kits that they sell by chance? I also will be ordering the carpet and headliner from them as well along with countless other parts I can imagine lol. Thanks again for the help 82gtforme.