Close

Default Efi Swap on '83, EEC location

Like the title says, I'm finishing up a sefi swap on a '83 GT from a '92 lx. Saved the interior wiring for last. Anyone whose done this swap on early foxes, where did you place your eec? You cant place it inside the kick panel like the later cars. Pictures help too! Thanks!
    1982 Capri RS - Sold
    1979 Fairmont - Sold
    1988 Mustang GT - Sold
    1984.5 Mustang GT - Sold
    2001 Mustang GT - Sold
    1983 Mustang GT - Current

Early foxbody factory location was under the passenger seat.

FEP Senior Member

Put it under the passenger seat. I am doing a similar swap ('92 EFI going into an '80 chassis). I have it all on my YouTube and Instagram.

Attachment 119211
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

I know that was their original location. I hoping not to do that. I really don't want to lengthen the 60 pin.. Since all my wiring is pristine..
    1982 Capri RS - Sold
    1979 Fairmont - Sold
    1988 Mustang GT - Sold
    1984.5 Mustang GT - Sold
    2001 Mustang GT - Sold

You might be able to shove it behind the radio or something. If you get out a BFH you might be able to create the spot for it in the footwell. It's tough at best though.

You could take my approach...
    (note passenger footwell)

Seriously though, I don't think you're going to get that thing behind the radio. You can get these EEC extension harnesses on ebay. They're VERY pricey, in the neighborhood of $300, but I guess that's what I'm going to do, rather than chance making a mistake extending that wiring (And i generally don't mind wiring either... ). I just have to get around to swallowing my common sense, saving up, and buying the thing.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    You could take my approach...
    (note passenger footwell)

Seriously though, I don't think you're going to get that thing behind the radio. You can get these EEC extension harnesses on ebay. They're VERY pricey, in the neighborhood of $300, but I guess that's what I'm going to do, rather than chance making a mistake extending that wiring (And i generally don't mind wiring either... ). I just have to get around to swallowing my common sense, saving up, and buying the thing.

I looked up 3 ft ext harness on ebay.. You weren't kidding! It's an option. Then I can get it under the seat.
    1982 Capri RS - Sold
    1979 Fairmont - Sold
    1988 Mustang GT - Sold
    1984.5 Mustang GT - Sold
    2001 Mustang GT - Sold

Zip tie it up under the dash near the glovebox maybe. That interior is in nice shape BTW, looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Zip tie it up under the dash near the glovebox maybe. That interior is in nice shape BTW, looks nice.
    Thank you!

I considered that too, or making some kind of box around it to sit outside the kick panel (there are a lot of wires back there on mine). They just don't seem good enough solutions for my "looks factory" theme of my car though. On the other hand, i do have a tendency to throw money at problems. Like "There! I spent a crapload of money! It's fixed now!"
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Not sure where the exhaust and fuel lines and brake lines run but is it possible to find a spot down in the floor to cut out, drop the ECU into, and put double strength floor over? Make the harness go under the floor and box out around that spot as well.

should be able to assemble with panel bond and pop rivets to avoid welding.

Just throwing it out there as an outside the box style idea

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Not sure where the exhaust and fuel lines and brake lines run but is it possible to find a spot down in the floor to cut out, drop the ECU into, and put double strength floor over? Make the harness go under the floor and box out around that spot as well.

should be able to assemble with panel bond and pop rivets to avoid welding.

Just throwing it out there as an outside the box style idea
    Maybe... not a bad idea. You'd have to cut open the loom at the firewall grommet because some of those wires do need to come inside the car. Maybe a guy could even get it into the area between the fender and inner apron and then make a little box for it in there... Hmmm
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

OK, updated idea.

Make it so you get to the ECU and all wires are inside the car.

Really don't want the ecu outside the interior as these old processors aren't moisture sealed like the newer coyote ones.

Alas, I will probably purchase the 3ft extension this weekend and hand make a bracket for under the seat. Atleast I can mount the power relays there as well.
    1982 Capri RS - Sold
    1979 Fairmont - Sold
    1988 Mustang GT - Sold
    1984.5 Mustang GT - Sold
    2001 Mustang GT - Sold

I have a whole lotta luv for ZephyrEFI's dash and ECU .

Really good work man.

Another 3 foot line and happiness is yours via BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    Put it under the passenger seat. I am doing a similar swap ('92 EFI going into an '80 chassis). I have it all on my YouTube and Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post

Next I started back on the wiring for the engine harness and reall the front half of the car. I decided to put the Ford ECM under the passenger seat since it won't go under the dash. I made a simple bracket that the ECM will attach to, then that bracket will sit on top of the carpet and be sandwiched between the seat mounts and carpet. It's low enough that the seat won't touch it, it shouldn't overheat where it is, and I am not worried about it being kicked or stepped on.

Once that was done, I went back to wiring on the engine. I started by getting all the branches organized. Design Engineering sent me some of their split loom to try out on the harness, and I've used three different sizes to cover it all. I just finished up the main engine harness back into the firewall junction on the passenger side last night. I still need to extend the MAF harness and the O2 sensors main connector. Then on to the driver side which has all the front lights. I did also put the braking system back together with the new 94/95 cobra master cylinder and MM conversion lines, then the PS system and Alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    I have a whole lotta luv for ZephyrEFI's dash and ECU .

Really good work man.

Another 3 foot line and happiness is yours via BM.
    Thanks man! Prob'ly what I'll do...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST