Close

Default 83 tbird auto to t5 swap

I have an 83 tbird that I’m swapping the v6/auto out for a 302/t5. I’m trying to hook up the neutral safety switch that hooks up to the clutch pedal and I’m having an issue finding the jumper wire that I need to disconnect n plug into the nss. I found a jumper in the harness near the pedal that I think is the correct one but it’s not the same connector that plugs into the nss. And I read it was suppose to be a pink/white and pink/blue wire I’m looking for and the ones I found are brown n blue brown. I also watched the lmr video on YouTube for the aod/t5 swap and they also show the pink/blue n pink/white wires. I’m thinking I need to cut the jumper I found and splice onto a connector that fits into the nss. Any thoughts? I know I don’t need to hook up the nss but I’d like to do this correctly while I have under the dash pulled apart.

Why do you think that underdash harness would have a connector for a manual trans setup?

It’s like that on mustangs. There is a set of jumpers in the harness under the dash. U unplug the jumpers out of the harness and plug them into the nss that attaches to the clutch pedal. I also had someone on a Facebook group send me pics of the Jumpers I’m looking for. But he was sending me pics of an 87 tbird. But 83 was the first year for the new body style of the tbirds and I was thinking that maybe the harness was different in the earlier yrs.

The 83 in the 84 cars should be more like a Mustang because they had a cable style Speedo the 1985 and newer T-Birds had a digital Speedo
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

the NSS on the t5 is actually for a computer controlled car. Yours won't have the hook up for that. Just leave it unplugged. The only NSS you need is the one on the clutch pedal
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I didn't see where it wasn't a computer controlled car.

In any auto, the nss is tied into the start circuit. It won't start without a jumper or the proper pedal stuff hooked up.
    1 1987 cougar

Since he has an 83 tbird, it's not controlled by a computer. The NSS at the pedals is what he's concerned with. The NSS on the trans lid is for computer controlled cars, that which he does not have. It is responsible for letting you pull codes when in neutral, and for the Cruise control circuit. The 83/84/85 mustangs that had these t5's were not computer controlled, and did not use that sensor
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip

I think you're confusing the neutral sensing switch and the neutral safety switch?

If there is no NSS, what prevents an automatic from starting when the brake pedal isn't depressed and in park / neutral?
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Plus in 83 on a tbird, they had the option of a 302 v-8 which was fuel injected and came standard with a aod.

Althought the v-6 was carbed, any 83 up v-8 harness would be computer controlled.
    1 1987 cougar

Not sure how it relates, as I'm not a T-bird guy.. But I can state for a fact the AOD is vacuum controlled, no computer control on it AT ALL.. The AOD-E is a different story.
    1986 CHP SSP Coupe

Yes, it is a vacuum control.

The stuff is a neutral safety switch in the pan, same setup. However, there is a neutral sensor that is read by the computer which bumps up the idle in gear. 800rpm at idle in neutral or park, 600rpms in any gear.
    1 1987 cougar

I’m not quite sure how to reply to any of that. There is a neutral safety switch that attached to the clutch pedal that doesn’t allow the car to start unless the pedal is pressed down. Supposedly there is a jumper in my harness under the dash that allows the car to start with the auto. N the jumper is removed n that part of the harness is suppose to plug into the nss on the pedals.
    With my auto I was able to start it w/o having to push the brake pedal in park and neutral like it was suppose to

i Appreciate your input though. Hopefully I can figure this out. I’ve gotten too frustrated with it I gave up on it for now n started working on another part of the car. I’ll eventually go back to this or just say f it n don’t use the nss on the pedals

I’m not quite sure how to reply to any of that. There is a neutral safety switch that attached to the clutch pedal that doesn’t allow the car to start unless the pedal is pressed down. Supposedly there is a jumper in my harness under the dash that allows the car to start with the auto. N the jumper is removed n that part of the harness is suppose to plug into the nss on the pedals.
    With my auto I was able to start it w/o having to push the brake pedal in park and neutral like it was suppose to

i Appreciate your input though. Hopefully I can figure this out. I’ve gotten too frustrated with it I gave up on it for now n started working on another part of the car. I’ll eventually go back to this or just say f it n don’t use the nss on the pedals

There are two different " jumper" plugs. One is where the trans plugs in. This is the nss that will prevent the trans from starting in gear. Then there is a separate one under that dash. This is the one that should have the jumper in it as an auto has the sensor in the trans.

That one should plug in to the clutch. It allows the car to start and in a computer controlled car, it bumps the idle up just like if the car is in neutral. Then there is a second sensor under the car that plugs into the cover plate of the t-5. This also tells the car when its in neutral.

Pretty much the one in the trans on a t-5 really isnt needed. It just stops you from starting the car in gear when you aren't pressing the clutch. The one on the pedal does the same thing, except it wont even let you try to start the car unless the clutch is in.

When I did my aod to t-5 swap, I just jumped the aod connector where it would plug into the trans. I tried to hook it up to the pedal as I couldn't find a connector either. When I did that, it would start without the clutch pressed, but not with it pushed in.
    1 1987 cougar

Blog Entries

Incidentally, there is no clutch safety switch on the '83 mustang. Not sure on the t bird.
    Last edited by brianj; 03-25-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: clutch safety switch, not neutral safety switch
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.

weird I would have thought you wouldn't be able to start a car and drive on an automatic Mustang in 83
    1 1987 cougar

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    weird I would have thought you wouldn't be able to start a car and drive on an automatic Mustang in 83
    Edited my screw up. I meant no CLUTCH safety switch .
    1983 Mustang G.T. No-option stripper- I like strippers.
    5.0, GT40P heads, Comp Cams XE270HR-12 on 1.6 rockers, TFI spring kit, Weiand 174 blower, Holley 750 mechanical secondarys, Mishimoto radiator, Edelbrock street performer mechanical pump, BBK shortys, T-5 conversion, 8.8 rear, 3.73 gears, carbon fiber clutches, SS Machine lowers, Maximum Motorsport XL subframes, "B" springs.