Close

Default Removable bar/receiver trailer hitches

How many are running something to pull stuff with on their fox? I'm coming to the realization that it may be useful to sometimes put a light and small trailer behind one of my Four Eyed foxes.

I had a hitch on my 86 at one time and have pictures of ridiculous abuse. I am not looking to repeat that mean-ness but pulling some jet skis or a trailer with track tires or extra luggage definitely isn't out of the question.

I figure ask for ideas now while the car build is still in the teardown phase.

I plan on building one for my car sooner or later.

Can't find any detailed pics of how it should look.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Should be fairly simple. 3/8 or 1/2 inch plate steel for the sides up to the frame rails and 2 inch square tube running between the plates from side to side. The receiver tube and safety chain hook up can be bought commercially.
    The problem I'm thinking about is the thin steel wall frame rails. To do it right a piece of tube should be run thru the frame rail for the side plate bolts. Obviously the thick steel side plates will have to custom cut to come down and back and that will have to be done with a torch or plasma cutter. The bottom of the plates should have a square hole cut in them for the cross tube to pass thru and then welded on both sides of the plate.
    Of course all this steel will add a lot of weight to the very rear of the car.

I have one for my car somewhere in the storage shed or at the shop. My car spent alot of highway time between Houston and Lubbock. When we graduated from college in the late 80's, my friend (previous owner) bought a hitch so he could rent a trailer and move his things back to Houston. From what I remember it bolts to the backside of the bumper via clamping plates, so no holes or modifications to the car.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Check out Mike's thread, might give you some ideas.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Trailer-hitch
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

From Mikes post and a little from my dual ehaust post. End plates are welded to and held captive in shear.

This is not a detachable tonge trailer hitch like Ford USA and Australia use on later Explorers, Sport Utlities and Falcons, but its mounting is what differs between the SN95 and Foxes. I don't like anything that attaches to the FMV approved 5 mph bumper system. The frame rails are what I chose to link it all.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    I do have a motza of pictures from when I did my tow hitch design and trail fit on my 81.

Sorry, I wont be re-rotating the photos, you have to recheck it in Photobucket because the accelerometer over rides the orintation unless you use edit, then back out, and recheck.....it takes ages, and aint got the time

Orange/red is passenger side.

IMG_6124_rotated

IMG_6127_rotated_driverside_exhaust hanger

IMG_6140_driverside_hanger

IMG_6141_passengerside_hanger

IMG_6164_driverside_exhaust_hanger

IMG_6165_passenger_side_exhaust_hanger

IMG_6241_rotated_passenger_side_hanger

My set up was especially easy, but for one thing.

The drivers side chassis rail and bumper horn is not symetrical or handed. Its its own shape, offset from parallel by about 5 degress, so that creates about 1/2 " of irregular custom fitting. The frame hasn't been bent, its site permanent reference marks are all good. Its just stamping variances.

The end plates center spacing from frame rail to frame rail ended up being splayed from the design 40-1/4" to a non perpendicular splay.
    I decided to use both frame brackets cut from 1/4" plate, and add some strips of 1/8" to some M14 bolts (22mm head).
    That resulted in me having to trial fit the parts again and again.

The arc welder and Igot a good work out

It took ages and I still have to pull the whole lot out and get the welding and design certified.

The 2" square tube was bent in a 20 Ton press to get the dip angle right for the tow hitch to come out low enough.

Many have done it with the earlier type.

Beware, some store bought SN95 designs and most flange to body Fox designs are inadequate in MHO.