Close

Default Replace pushrods and rockers question

I'm looking to replace my stock pushrods and rockers. I want to know which part numbers to order. Just looking to keep everything stock for now and possibly have a bent pushrod and or bad rocker. Thanks

Stock 1984 GT350 HO 302 5 speed

The stamped steel rockers generally don't fail...it is the lower fulcrums that can get wear on them. In my experience the securing bolts are also weak, but you can order those at your local parts store. For the pushrods, roll them over an absolute straight surface...a piece of metal, glass, etc....to check for straightness.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

What is going on that makes you think you have a bent pushrod or a bad rocker arm?

1984 302 has a hydraulic flat tappet cam...

Cale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMl...ature=youtu.be

Figured I would finally try and troubleshoot the noises in the engine. My brother mentioned possible bent pushrods. Just wanted to run by the forum again. Thanks.

A bent pushrod is not going to make a noise like that. Have you checked for exhaust manifold leaks, pulled the valve covers and taken a look, etc.?
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I just pulled both covers and removed each pushrod and rocker/fulcrum. Everything visually looks good, but Im no mechanic. I have replaced both exhaust manifold gaskets, installed locker bolts and clips and the noise stays the same. Increases and decreases with rpm.

Maybe a small or hairline crack/fracture in manifold? Maybe it could be a bum lifter or 2. I may have to pull them totally off and check...
    Last edited by Jig Saw; 02-26-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Do the pcv/breather baffles in the valve cover look like they're getting hit by the rockers? I had one come out on me when I used to have those valve covers.

Cale

Quote Originally Posted by Jig Saw View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOMl...ature=youtu.be

Figured I would finally try and troubleshoot the noises in the engine. My brother mentioned possible bent pushrods. Just wanted to run by the forum again. Thanks.
    I would seriously consider the fuel pump pushrod/arm making that noise. You can remove the pump (2 bolts and you may be able to leave the lines connected) and run the engine on the gas that is in the carb.

Paul